OT - what's in your stereo?

@Jinder My tastes run with yours on most of what you listed. I just listened to your cover of Townes Van Zandt’s If I needed you. Townes will break your heart won’t he, man, the first time I heard Marie the world changed a bit.

Right now I’m listening to Ethel Waters sing some of the off color songs that she wrote and sang before she found God and went to work with the Billy Graham Crusade. e.g.; My Handy Man (1928) http://www.themadmusicarchive.com/song\_details.aspx?SongID=7425

meat puppets-i’m a mindless idiot.

OTR Dragnet (on the radio) (I’m a “cops & robbers” fan if you hadn’t figured it out yet.)

Elton John - Captain Fantastic LP

@Jinder just been listening to some of your music. Love it man. I am a folky so it kind of right up my street.

I listen too: kate Bush,Lennon or psychédélic techno like Infected Mushroom.In fact I think I like the best for my delicate ear on every music style :slight_smile:

@greencrow @jinder … nice to see some fellow No Depression, Postcard lovin’ folks on here … saw many Tupelo/Son Volt and Wilco shows. Loved Ryan Adams’ Whiskeytown, “Strangers Almanac” is a classic … I suspect you both are Steve Earle fans … maybe Richard Buckner as well? Most know Earle, Buckner is unique. I use to follow Blue Mountain, Scud Mountain Boys(Joe Pernice is a master craftman) and the Jayhawks around back in the 90’s … I really miss those intimate 50-100 seat bars … I think the jayhawks are back together again, in their original Louris/Olson combo.

The Doo Wop Box Set (assorted)

Hell yeah Steve Earle and Townes Van Zandt. I love old blues folk I’m a huge Ledbelly and Robert Johnson fan as well. Justin Townes Earles’s new album Harlem River Blues is good stuff too. Like Dylan, Jennings, Haggard, and Willie and Cash although Johnny Cash is way too covered. I swear if one more cover of Folsom Prison I’ll - well yeah.

@jinder… It seems as though you have bin a bit modest when speaking of your musical career, you have a good following from what ive seen. While im not familiar with the music of today i must say i like your style, and have added your album to an evergrowing wish list. I have David gilmours self titled solo album and love it. Have you ever listened to Syd Barretts solo work? Its very unpolished but still great especially if your a fan of Pink Floyds early work. @Jrabevil…Really happy there is another Leadbelly fan here! Not long after buying a few of his albums i picked up a cheap 12 string and since gotton hold of a stella harmony baritone 12 string much like the one he plays. Its currently out of commission with a broken truss rod though :frowning: I completely agree with Cash being covered to much and i looks like i have to pick up some more Townes!

@snuffbrant… Yes I am a big fan of Steve Earle, I’ve seen him a ton of times at a small bar in Columbia, Mo. I was just listening to his Townes album today. I’ll have to look up Richard Buckner as I haven’t heard anything by him. You into the Avett Brothers? They are a North Carolina band and I have them on heavy rotation.

Recently, the best one has been Carole King’s The Carnegie Hall Concert 1971. Fantastic, especially when James Taylor joins in.

Earle’s tribute to TVZ is nice. @greencrow … I do like the Avett brothers. if i recall they had an older band, Nemo, though I am not familiar with them. There is an NC band i really like currently, Roman Candle, have you heard of them? Right now … heavy in my rotation is My Morning Jacket’s catalog on shuffle … and Wilco’s new one, “The Whole Love” … also, kinda hate to admit it, but Ray Lamontagne is quite fantastic albeit derivative, but what music hasn’t been done before? :wink:

currently dave mattews- gravedigger, next up falling down by oasis mainly i’ll lidten to anything but its gotta have the right feel to it. and it also depends on the mood or place you are

@brownnosebeaver I’m a huge fan of Syd’s solo work-in fact, I probably listen to more Barrett that I do Floyd. I know everyone says Madcap Laughs is his best but I prefer the second self-titled album, it seems a bit less tortured than Madcap and further ‘out there’, it really has a sense of whacked-out wonder about it that I’ve never heard anywhere else. @greencrow Townes was incredible, I learned so much from his songwriting-I love the fact that he was a great storyteller in song but always deeply (and often painfully) honest…he really leaned into the darkness, too far perhaps by the end of his life, but his songwriting just got better and better. Marie is one of my favourites too, absolutely chilling stuff. @theratroom thanks for the kind words! I’m a folky at heart too, I keep going off and joining noisy rock bands for fun but I always come back to the acoustic guitar, country and folk music. @snuffbrant I’m a big Earle fan, I’ve yet to get into Richard Buckner but he has been recommended to me so I’ll check out his music. Jayhawks were one of my favourite bands of the '90s/early '00s, I had no idea they were back together. They made some killer records, amazing atmospheric stuff, some of my favourites. Stranger’s Almanac era Whiskeytown was incredible too…I’ve bought and given away loads of copies of that album to friends, it’s one of the best introductions to contemporary Americana I think, I’ve yet to meet anyone who could resist ‘Excuse Me While I Break My Own Heart’ or ‘Houses On The Hill’. Actually, I think it might need a spin right now!

1 Like

yeah, technically the jayhawks have always been together, without Olson, but been on hiatus for a few years … Olson rejoining is new this past year or so … which was what made their melodies so sweet. Pure pop heaven “I’d Run Away” … and “Stranger’s Almanac” hasn’t a single bad song on it … I love Replacements-inspired “Waiting to Derail” and “Losering” … and absolutely love “16 Days” and “Avenues”.

Ryan Bingham, Junky Star. Any fans here? I also like Steve Earle and Townes Van Zandt. I saw Townes in a roadhouse outside of Reno about two months before he died. A special treat as I had been a fan since the early seventies.

@snuffbrant… listening to Roman Candle for the first time right now. I definitely like this song- Eden Was a Garden, gonna look up more. Thanks for the suggestion. @roho… Yes I like Ryan Bingham, The Weary Kind is a great tune. It looks like this is turning into the Americana music thread.

Listening to Radio 4 as usual. Not your typical 20yr old student listening, I admit. But it’s a great way to keep up to date with things, and listen to interesting discussions… And Sailing By is lovely to fall asleep to.