Medicated No99

I like the No.99. I have found that it is a bit sweeter and less sharp if you pinch it rather than off the back of the hand.

I bought the big tin of J+H Wilson’s Medicated No99 today. Like the Radfords, it’s a ‘twisty coin’ job - which basically means that even Dr. Who’s sonic screwdriver would struggle to get the lid off! :slight_smile: But once eventually opened, this is fantastic stuff. (Such tins seem difficult at first, but then become easier after the initial frustration - still, I like to put some in another container for easier access). I’m very much a Menthol Man, so this is my kind of thing. On the one hand, it seems like a basic menthol, but there is also definitely something extra there, as suggested by the first post. (Which was made back in 2007 - sorry for resurrecting such an old thread!) I can imagine re-purchasing this fellow.

it’s got some corriander in it I swear it’s subtle but it’s in there.

I have about six or seven unopened large tins(25g) i purchased from Nicotine Rush pre-pact, i really fell in love w/it. I think that was at the peak of my TAD days. These days i’am lucky to snuff once a day, the rolleys really got me this time.

I haven’t had it for two years, but I recall it being amazing, and that was from a 8g dustbox; I would like to try the twisty-coin contents too someday.

@Sloth: you did a good job to bring this thread back to life. I am a big fan of menthol myself and use menthol snuffs everyday - but still, i never had the mentoined one. I will place a new order this night (i am drunk, it is easier to spend money of “pleasure” when you are drunk HEHE) and this time i will not forget it. XD

Medicated No99 was one of the first menthol snuffs I tried. It is a faovirte of mine also.

@Prismaster - Thanks, I thought it was best to bring an old thread back rather than start a new one. Glad to see a few new posts on this snuff! It’s a relatively strong menthol, pleasant and refreshing and I’ve kept going back to it. Not sure about bob’s corriander, but that could be a fair point. I seem to get a bit of lemon and lime from it.

I just did a new order with my favorite retailer here in Germany and this time RedBull is on the list :slight_smile: I am very curious how it turns out in the nose and to compare the actual strength with others.

@Prismaster - Red Bull is definitely really nice too. Not sure if you meant to post about it in the Medicated No99 thread or if it was due to the booze…! Been taking the Medicated No99 fairly frequently over the past few days, and this is truly good stuff. Hopefully it should keep well in the twisty-coin tin as presumably it’s airtight… just a bit of a bother to open.

Very good medicated snuff, I’d buy this regularly if on sale here. It is also very easy to use and friendly to nose like all JH Wilson snuffs.

I like the little tins they seem like a proper working man’s snuff. The sort you think they would pick one up in the news agent on the way home after a hard day down the mine.

I absolutely love Medicated 99 - first snuff of the day, every day. As for the “other” flavour, I’d say it’s lavender; it definitely reminds me of Toque’s Lavender, in the “whole plant effect” sense.

@theatroom Yep, JH Wilson’s tins, small and large vacuum-sealed ones, are manly in old-fashioned way.

“I like the little tins they seem like a proper working man’s snuff. The sort you think they would pick one up in the news agent on the way home after a hard day down the mine.” Miners would usually buy tins of snuff from the colliery canteen. Wholesale purchase by the National Coal Board accounted for a huge slice of the home market. Closure of coal mines in Britain saw a slump in snuff sales. Different mining areas favoured particular brands. Coal pits in Yorkshire sold a great deal of J&H Wilsons whereas the Midlands had a preference for Illingworth snuffs and Dr. Rumney in particular. JIP of Nuneaton was much favoured too. At the Birch Coppice mine it was found (by Sonia Roberts reporting for Tobacco in 1981) that an average of 792 tins were purchased from the canteen over an eight week period.

“On the one hand, it seems like a basic menthol, but there is also definitely something extra there, as suggested by the first post.” According to the blue booklet Medicated No. 99 is flavoured with both menthol and eucalyptus.

@philips that’s really interesting thank you.

I tried to like No99 for years but I just can’t take it. O&G is the one for me.

1 Like

"…that an average of 792 tins were purchased from the canteen over an eight week period. " That were the days. 99 tins per week -in 1 (ONE!) canteen.

Medicated No 99 was the 3rd bestselling snuff of J & H Wilson, it was bought all over the UK as opposed to Top Mill No 1 being North of Sheffield and SP No. 1 being all those to the south of Sheffield. Yes, the NCB did sell loads for us that’s true, it was a useful alternative for smokers who couldn’t smoke down t’pit. As for the airtight tins, they were made in order to preserve the life of the snuff for up to 4 years, in the pocket boxes after 3 months the flavour started to fade and any stock returned over 3 months would not go back onto the finished goods. I can remember tap tapping airtight tins which had been returned on our sale or return guarantee to see if the seal had gone, I could tell by the sound if it had. Happy days…