Toque Absinthe

Favorite Anise snuff yet. I’m partial to McCrystal’s Anisette too.

The Absinthe is a singular snuff to be sure. I enjoy licorice/fennel/anise in all incarnations and the Toque Absinthe has been a true pleasure to use! It is also the only snuff I have that needs to be segregated from all others! Once opened, the smell seems to spread so readily that I keep the 10g tin inside of a smashbox to keep the scent sequestered.

pernod used to be a lead producer of absinthe. Some people are under the impression that pernod is deabsinthed absinthe. Though on a lighter note anyone else find it funny that there is a snuff that translates to undrinkable???

Right, the Absinthe is a great snuff. Mellow, unlike the other anise snuff I’ve tried, Edel Prise, but still very strong scent. No menthol in it, what is an advantage for me, and still refreshing.

Ladies like this snuff, too.

This is part of a 10 pack order on the way, can’t wait to try it. Ken

@bob Pernod is indeed a very similar drink to absinthe. Presumably to get around the various bans on absinthe. Interestingly Absinthe was never banned in the UK. Shame noone makes it here!

Absinthe is legal in the states again.

yeah its legal in the EU again as well. I love La Fee Absinthe, is fairly priced and very nice.

Too bad Toque Absinthe dose not have the Wormwood in it that would be a like a buzz and a trip at the same time.

Anyone know how much Grand Wormwood would need to be consumed to experience anything?

Thats a very well debated point. There is no real agreement that Thujone - the active ingredient - is halucinogenic or narcotic, although in large doses it’s certainly a poison. A lot of the mythology comes from it having been banned for many years, having been used by people like Van Gogh and being - in its genuine form - extremely high in alcohol. Most of the brands available nowadays are weak in comparison to the originals and you wouldn’t get anything more than alcohol poisoning from drinking a lot of it. As it was not regarded as a problem in the UK when the bans came out at the turn of ther last century its consequently always been possible to get it - although until the net, very hard. The original French distilleries went over to production of Pastis/Pernod like drinks after the ban. The new ‘Absent’ brand by the way would not be recognised as a true absinthe due to its low Thujone content. If you get chance try the Czhec (spelling?) ‘Zelena’ brand which is one of the few that would be recognised by Van Gogh. Ive got a 30 year old bottle - sadly only a third left - very strong, flames perfectly but no halucinations I’m afraid.

For the sake of this thread my Toque Absinthe went into the rehydration chamber. It’s all nice and fluffy now, I’ll be taking it with me tomorrow. Just had a pinch. Who said there was no wormwood in there? You’ve got me fooled.

Thanks to this thread I’ve dug out my neglected 10g tin - very glad I did!

Ban on absinthe was about the first moral panic in Europe: this blind-drunk French guy butchered his family and claimed in defense that absinthe made him do it. Courts and public bought his line. This happened before The Great War.

Thujune seems to be a stimulant not a hallucangenic. Seems that it produces a clearer headed drunk then most booze. So if you get loaded you’ll be drunk as all hell but more cognizant. Since the thujone stimulates parts of your brain the alchool shuts down. So basicaly you’ll be able to be drunk but when you write some poetery it will actualy make sense the next morning. The other thing is that being drunk and aware instead of drunk and stupid is a pretty strange experience that might be considered somewhat psychadelic. @allenH plus the wine industry was suffering from several bad years and so they slandered absinthe.

Bob has it right! I’ve had a bottle or two of home-made Absinthe (leagues better than all that watered down , artificially colored , skip the wormwood bull i could find in stores) . I’ve never experienced being so awake while drunk with anything else, it was quite interesting in itself.Roaring drunk but not hammered to the floor. Aside from that it’s a rather tasty drink you can enjoy as you would do with Tea. Or maybe a bitter before a meal. I would recommend against consuming wormwood chasing some sort of experience , it will only get you poisoned. But do enjoy a glass or two of proper Absinthe , it’s most certainly a special drink. Now onto the snuff: Best aniseed snuff I’ve tried so far , no question about it.

Just had my first sniff. It took me to a childhood day of eating good 'n plenty candies :slight_smile:

Day by day I am finding this flavor to be absolutely amazing and the snuff itself has a GREAT kick. Ken

I’ve got blending on the brain tonight - this could be mixed with cinammon and clove to get a chinese five spice aroma. I’m getting my tin of camphor and clove to blend a gram to try it.