Professions, amateurs, what are their problems?

What do you guys think of your average amateur chessplayer who takes the game dead seriously? I was called a loser by one of them today, then after the game, where we had a very one-sided battle where his queen and king was forked, he didnt say a word, just left. Do you guys participate in anything where you meet a lot of… strange people? In the country tournament here once (national championship), a guy became furious after completing second and threw gis prize in the garbage can before rushing out. Come on, dont be afraid, share your stories.

The art of losing is a forgotten aspect of sportsmanship, @rogue. Chess, gambling, etc. I once watched a lawyer cry after losing a case. It’s appalling. Being a d(&-k about losing is a sign of weakness.

I once watched a lawyer cry after losing a case. It’s appalling. Being a d(&-k about losing is a sign of weakness.

Imagine how his client felt!

@lunecat up for a game some time?

@lunecat that bad, eh?

The art of losing is a forgotten aspect of sportsmanship, @rogue. Chess, gambling, etc. I once watched a lawyer cry after losing a case. It’s appalling. Being a d(&-k about losing is a sign of weakness.

Well said. It starts young and is essential to becoming a gentleman (or lady). Unfortunately being a lady or a gentleman is no longer considered “fashionable” in some circles of society. Here in the southern US parents are still mentoring their offspring in the fine arts of gentility, but not enough of them. There can only be one winner. I appreciate the passion of a well fought battle, but when the smoke clears it’s time to “man-up” and act accordingly. True strength is a quiet thing.

The more devious part of my nature also compels me to point out that initial losses can reveal quite a lot about your opponent’s strategy…

The most genteel people I know are former Marines.

Semper Fi

@Mouse I suspect it has a lot to do with not having anything to prove to anyone.

@Mouse My stepdad is a former Marine and while he can certainly be quite genteel and well-polished, he is often far from that.

my sympathy, @TomStrasbourg‌; I had a step-father and know the going can be tough.