Gawith Hoggarth Lids

I’m putting together my next order and one I’ve wanted to try for a long time is Gawith Hoggarth Kendal Brown. I am a bit reluctant to order this because the one and only time I ordered a GH snuff (25g tub of Irish D), the lid worked it’s way loose in transit and most of it had spilled out into the package. Has this happened to anybody else or should I consider this a freak accident?

I suspect it’s happened before. All the tins I’ve received from Mr. Snuff have been taped in place, I suspect to avoid this kind of catastrophe.

I suspect it’s happened before. All the tins I’ve received from Mr. Snuff have been taped in place, I suspect to avoid this kind of catastrophe.

This was awhile ago but now that you mention it, I recall there was a piece of tape on it but it must have unstuck. I’ll give it another try and hope for the best. Thanks.

From what I’ve read so far it has happened before but I wouldn’t worry about it. Plenty of people order from mrsnuff, if this was happening everytime they’d have a ton of unhappy customers lol

It has happened to me on at least 3 occasions I can think of. The positive side of this is that the folks at Mr. Snuff were very good about replacement. I have noticed that there have been some tubs with a thin strip of tape across the top which I am sure would be/is all it takes to rectify this situation.

Well now I am shying away from the idea. As much as I would like to try it, the parcel will go a long distance and through lots of handling so the likelihood of the lid opening increases. A parcel spilling brown powder is sure to attract some attention at customs. A shame because it sounds like an excellent snuff. Thanks for your input guys!

The handful of 25g tubs I’ve received, across different orders, to the US have always arrived just fine. Each with two thin pieces of tape, which I’m sure was what kept it from disaster. @crullers‌ perhaps just leave in the notes upon order to double check that your lid is taped shut? I’m sure those at MrSnuff won’t let you down.

I’m not placing this order through MrSnuff @GSoms but it’s a good idea to send them a note when I place the order. I really want to try more GH snuffs and have been reluctant to do so because of the poor packaging. Maybe they’ll wrap it in duct tape for me :slight_smile:

I just received my order from Mr. Snuff and all was well, No leaks or snuff filled box. I was worried about that but it was all good! Awesome experience for my first snuff order. By the way, i`m new here! Hello everyone!!! :smiley:

Oh, oops! Well hopefully they use the duct tape though @crullers‌, however it’s be quite the annoying tub to hold if fully wrapped in it! Imagine putting it in your pocket with all that sticky adhesive :open_mouth: Good luck on it arriving safe!

It happen once, what a mess. And next time I ask for it to be taped, Unfortunately the snuff i got had no scent. that was my last try with Gawith Hoggarth.

I placed the order late last night and left a message. I had an email this morning from Simon at mysmokingshop ensuring me that he would make sure the lid was secure and another email saying the order will be dispatched shortly. Excellent service. @basement_shaman This will be the last chance for Gawith Hoggarth for me as well. As the old saying goes, “fool me twice, shame on me”.

Although GH’s snuffs aren’t the best packaged I reckon the actual snuff inside more than makes up for the slightly poor packaging. I ordered a few of these from MrSnuff in my last order and they were all well taped; so no spillages :slight_smile: I’ve got to say, to my mind, GH do the best floral scents of any snuff manufacturer.

@MisterPaul I’m not a huge floral fan but if this one gets to me in one piece I’ll be sure to give some of theirs a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

@crullers - I didn’t think that I would be either actually. I took plain and menthol snuffs for many years before I tried a floral (WoS), but to be blunt the grind of the flour and the scent of the actual tobacco of GH’s are really top drawer compared to the others; Florette or Wallflower/Jockey Club are well worth a go. GH’s tap-boxes are awful though; best to avoid those. I find a roll-up filter soaked in water and added to a snuff box sorts most moisture issues though… The first one I tried was a GH’s Wallflower in a tap-box you see (dry as a bone), completely different snuff in the tub.

The Kendal Brown arrived today well taped and intact. I’m really enjoying it so far and will be ordering more of theirs to try.

Well now I am shying away from the idea. As much as I would like to try it, the parcel will go a long distance and through lots of handling so the likelihood of the lid opening increases. A parcel spilling brown powder is sure to attract some attention at customs. A shame because it sounds like an excellent snuff. Thanks for your input guys!

Not sure how far your package must travel, but in my multiple orders through Mr. Snuff and Toque that must travel from the UK to the states and then onward to the Far East- I have not yet suffered an open tin. As I recall from my last order through Mr. Snuff, each tin was wrapped in plastic aside from the Taxi Red, which has a very tight fitting lid.

Not sure how far your package must travel, but in my multiple orders through Mr. Snuff and Toque that must travel from the UK to the states and then onward to the Far East- I have not yet suffered an open tin. As I recall from my last order through Mr. Snuff, each tin was wrapped in plastic aside from the Taxi Red, which has a very tight fitting lid.

Mine go from the UK to Canada but as I’ve learned through orders with tracking there is a lot of handling once the parcel arrives in the country. I haven’t had problems with other manufacturers other than G&H except for a small 8g Six Photo container that got smushed. It takes about a half turn on a G&H tin to open it so it will work loose during transport if not secured properly.