TSNA

I have just been looking at this information about smokeless tobacco on the Cancer research UK website. Aparently all tobacco products contain a cancer causing chemical called ‘tobacco-specific nitrosamines’ or TSNA for short. The website claims that some smokeless tobacco products ‘contain up to 100 times more TSNAs than any other product including cigarettes’ but it doesn’t specify what these products are. Are these products snuff or something else? Does anyone know? The website also states it is a bad idea to use snuff to quit smoking. Cheers http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/healthyliving/smokingandtobacco/smokelesstobacco/

There are tons of sites with tons on info on this subject. Do a search on this forum for TSNA and on the internet. Also I’m sure some people will provide some links pretty soon. I did alot of reading but didn’t save any of the links. If I remember correctly Snuff as with any tobacco product does contain TSNA. I think some of the American brands like Honey Bee, Rooster, Railroad had a lot of TSNAs and the European brands had alot less. Do some searching and you will find more info that you’ll ever need.

nitrosamines are in pretty much everything you eat. The more cooked your food (especialy chared) the more nitrosamines it has. Snuff and snus have levels of nirtosamines lower then the last burger you ate. In fact you have nirtosamines in you too. As far as Solanaceae plants the main diffrence between nightshade and tobacco chemical are the levels of the chemicals being basicly reversed.

Lazaraus, you’ll find that most of us here just don’t care too much about this sort of thing. There is risk in everything, including snuff - although much, much reduced because of the lack of combustion, tars etc that kill smokers. Snuff represents a massive improvement for tobacco users on all fronts, but the fact is that there has not been any significant and sustained research done into nasal snuff use for the simple reason that, hitherto, it has been off the radar of the academics. There have been a couple of studies but nothing like the massive volume of work that has focussed on cigarette smoking over the last 50 years or so. This may change with the Western move to tobacco bans if there is a significant switch to snuff. The point is if you are looking for certainty that it won’t harm you, you won’t find it and most of us here are too busy enjoying snuff to care, however, Wilsons of Sharrow have been going since the 1700’s and have never had a health suit filed and the only person on record dying of snuff put it in his ear for 40 years. I would have to say enjoy and don’t worry or quit - you are dead an awful long time and it really doesn’t matter if you become dead sooner rather than later.

I’m not sure I agree with the outlook of ‘it really doesn’t matter if you become dead sooner rather than later’ but I can see what you are trying to say. I am not looking for reassurance that using snuff will definately not harm my health I just wanted to understand exactly what risks I am taking… Thanks to everyone for your feedback :o) (we should get some smileys on this forum!)

Well if your using a mac you can click on edit and choose special characters & choose from dozens of symbols including skull & crossbones & smiley faces. Or even an airplane, sun or snowman along with many others. :skull_and_crossbones: :slight_smile: :airplane: :sunny: :snowman_with_snow:

Remember this is pretty much a ‘fan’ site - we have all been out the other side of worrying about the risks of our hobby and just get on with enjoying snuff and and talking, ad infinitum, about the various aspects of it. Its not risk free and it may kill you, horribly… but it probably won’t. Im all ears as to why it matters whether we are dead sooner rather than later?

Well I’m sure given the choice most people would want to live as long as they can. Would you rather die in 5 years time or in 30 years time? I suppose it partly depends on your age… Personally I’m a young bloke in his 20s who has a wife with a baby on the way. I’m also about the start a new career which I’m really looking forward to so in essense I have ‘everything to live for’ I’m pretty high on life right now and thoughts of dying make me uncomfortable…I’m not being dramatic, I’m well aware that if I use snuff I’m not going to drop dead in a few days but as I said before: I don’t think its unreasonable to look into the risks of snuff taking. In fact I think its irresponsible not to. I know this is a ‘fan’ site and it was in no way my intention to annoy, irritate or worry anyone or make anyone enjoy their snuff less :o)

You are not annoying or irritating. Of course you don’t want to drop dead anytime soon but it really doesn’t matter; the longest human life is over in massively less than a millisecond in cosmic terms. I guess this is either a factor in how you think or it isn’t, for me it is and it tends to make questions about things like snuffing immaterial. My life experiences colour heavily my personal philosophy - having seen a great deal of death - and of course the salient point there is that my view is personal. You, of course, are coming from a different perspective. Would I rather drop dead in 5 or 30 years? To be honest, I can’t get any purchase on the concept. Just ignore me, I hope all goes well with your wife and the new arrival!

I have to agree with both of you in a cosmic scale we are a burp. At the same time I tend to like to research the dangers joys all kinds of things about any thing I get into. I feel as if it’s so much smarter especialy with how many people I’ve seen kill or hurt themselves seriously when a little information could have prevented it (not that many of these people turn out to be that missable really, but just making a point). For all you’d know if you’d never researched it snuff use for all you’d know it’s healthier for you general condition but would kill you younger (heard that false rumour before) so I can say I definately see both ends of these posts.

Very balanced Bob. I do see the need for people to understand what they are doing to themselves, maybe ny view is a bit extreme and I do recognise its entirely personal - I certainly don’t feel I have the right to judge others who think differently. I think the things Ive seen as a cop have altered a lot of my perceptions.

welcome to the forum

Honestly I would be more worried about preservatives in food, artificial sweeteners, high fructose corn syrup, steroids in meat, carbon monoxide from driving down the highway, regularly holding a cell phone up to ones head, standing too close to a microwave, drinking water from old pipes, excessive consumption of alcoholic beverages, walking in the bad part of town after dark. Drinking a diet cola or eating sugary snacks will do more damage to your health than nasal snuff ever could.

snuff is definatly a win win situation the only problem with it is that it is addictive. I get really grumpy untill I have a pinch, it took a while for my girlfriend to really see this though now instead of asking if I’am angery about something she asks me if I need some snuff.