Snuff Spoons Masquerading as Pipe Tampers

I did a search to find a thread on pipe tampers that could also be used as snuff spoons. I did not find such a thread here on Snuffhouse although there were many posts on the subject in various spoon threads. So… having a (excessive and ridiculous) collection of pipe tampers I thought I might share what some of these tamper/spoons might look like. There are all sorts of variations of course, but here are the tampers from my collection that I also use with snuff. There are 3 photos attached. One of them shows tampers some of which have hidden internal spoons. Another shows those same tampers with the internal spoons taken apart and displayed. Yet another shows tampers that have the spoons external and obvious. These tampers were made by a variety of different makers out of a variety of different materials, ranging from brass and silver to briar, bamboo, bakelite, amber, and exotic woods. Thank you for allowing me, a crazy collector, to share photos of my tamper/snuff spoon collection. If you have any tampers that you use or could use as snuff spoons (aside from the ever present, popular, and practical Czech tool) please feel free to share photos or comments.

What, no Czech tool???

What, no Czech tool???

LOL! Actually, @mouse, I own at least 10 of them.

i find it to be a feature of pipe tampers that they often look like they belong in a place rather different and altogether more private than a pipe.

I still think fingers make the best tampers.

Not for me, @Bob. Maybe for you but… :)>-

i find it to be a feature of pipe tampers that they often look like they belong in a place rather different and altogether more private than a pipe.

Sounds like, @Firestarter0, you are coming from a very dark place. And if I understand you correctly, the place you are referring to is one in which many a person has buried their own head :)) @-) :-S And, ah, no, tampers are neither intended nor designed for the place to which you are referring.

given my comment, each to their own :stuck_out_tongue: @fredhanna a very, VERY dark place :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m kinda low on stock right now but I make snuff spoon/pipe tampers, if I’m not mistaken you have ordered from me.

I’m kinda low on stock right now but I make snuff spoon/pipe tampers, if I’m not mistaken you have ordered from me.

I did in fact order a tamper/snuff spoon from you @SnuffSniffer. And I am very pleased with it. Unfortunately, I could not find it for the photos above but I am sure it will turn up in a day or two. Things are always a bit of a mess in my office after I return from the Chicago Show.

Looks like some pretty awesome stuff @SnuffSniffer. Think you might make some snuff boxes?

Great pictures @fredhannah… If I may be so bold, should others want to see more pictures of Mr. Hannah’s collection refer to Pipes and Tobaccos magazine where he has written an interesting/fun article on tampers…

Thank you @Stogie! It’s hard to get those photos with all that shiny metal reflecting light all over the place. I am glad to hear you like the article.

Looks like some pretty awesome stuff @SnuffSniffer. Think you might make some snuff boxes?

No boxes but I am planning on making some pocket sized bottles.

Great tamps, thanks for posting them! Didn’t realize that some of them have spoons such a perfect size and shape for snuff. Now I have another goal in life – to acquire a Castello snuff spoon.

What would you plan making them out of @snuffsniffer?

What would you plan making them out of @snuffsniffer?

Some will be all wood and some will be aluminum and wood.

looks like they would also me great for mini mojitos!

@Bob, it teaches you not to tamp too hard.

@JakartaBoy precisely