Pros and Cons of Snuffing oposed to other types of tobacco use, why do you choose snuff?

Snuffing…I’ve been snuffing for three years now, using mostly scotch and only going through 3 to 4 tins of snuff, about an ounce each. So obviously a pro is all the money you save if you use strictly snuff. I bought Bruton and W.E. Garrett my first time buying snuff, both scotch’s. It is hard to come across snuff without ordering it and those are the only two they carry at this tobacco shop…the only con to snuffing I know of is the nose mess, I snuff quite a bit and it’s a little messy. The Nic Rush from snuffing is amazing though, don’t U agree. I smoked cigs for some years along with dipping and cigars and nothing compares to a nic rush from snuffing. Also it is easy to choose your amount. 2 3 4 5 pinches…So if you have any thoughts on this, the pros to snuffing, feel free to share.

For me the “pro” aspect rests on several factors: • Less impact on my breathing- since taking up snuff again I have cut my cigarette use to perhaps one or two a day and in a matter of days realized clearer lungs. • Improved taste- since cutting out 99% of my smoking I have noticed nuances in foods that I have missed while smoking. • Ease of intake- a snuff can be taken practically anywhere and any time, whereas a cigarette requires me to find a designated smoking point- which of late has been awash in rain. • Diversity- a cigarette is a cigarette, whereas I can journey through several snuff scents in a day. • Smell- not smell of snuff’s but the smell of smoke on my clothes is now gone. • Time- in the time it takes to get out to the smoking area- smoke and then get back I can take a pinch or two while continuing my busy day. • Snuff is interesting- simply put there is a world of snuff out there. Not that cigarettes is absent some degree of interesting, but it is certainly a far cry from what I get out of snuff.

Pro - Decongestant benefits… Snuff is the best decongestant that I’ve found – and it doesn’t interact with other medications either! Once I started wearing black shirts, there weren’t any cons. Before that, the big con was snuff dribbles on my shirt.

Pros: More oxygen in my brain, less impact on breathing, less smell on my breath, doesn’t stain my teeth, it’s fun, there’s a lot of variety, quite cheap for the pleasure I get out of it. It’s my favourite way of taking tobacco and getting nicotine into my system. Cons: Hard to get where I live, a pain to have to order everything from overseas and wait at least two weeks for it to arrive.

Pros: cheap as hell, less cancer, smaller cardiac risks, smells great, more variety than any other sort of smokeless tobacco by far, nice and stimulating Cons: getting brown crap on your face/clothes, having to blow your nose too much, just the messiness of it generally

Pros Fun and cheap Not only a habit but also a hobby Almost endless amounts of snuff to explore Harm reduction Cons When using large amounts (5g a day for me is large) My nose is always a runny brown mess

Lungs are about shot from smoking, gums are about shot from dipping, Don’t like to think about what I’ll do when the nose goes?

Lungs are about shot from smoking, gums are about shot from dipping, Don’t like to think about what I’ll do when the nose goes?

@3_D, I don’t know nuffink about dipping, my only experience with oral tobacco is extremely occasional use of snuss, usually on long haul flights. Does it really mess up your gums? I’ve seen people out in villages in Indonesia with large wads of tobacco in their jaw, usually with betel nut. Their mouths are a mess, but I figured it was the betel nut.

Dip can be hard on the gums, I actually gave up dip a long time ago, but with age your gums do recede enough to make me not want to go back to it. It was also very hard to quit, I wouldn’t want to go there again. Snuff seems to be enough for me, for now. I’ve been thinking lately that I wouldn’t mind a good cigar though.

I’ve been thinking lately that I wouldn’t mind a good cigar though.

A good cigar or a pipe every now and again is definitely good for you. Stops you biting people.

If i could get snus where i live or as cheap as snuff, id probably have that as my main tobacco product to be honest. less mess, more discreet, more nicotine, easier to use. as it stands, snuff is easier to get round me, and is the next best thing.

I chose snuff because I smoke cigars and pipes as well. However, with the long, hard winter we’ve had in Michigan I got tired of my house and everything in it smelling like burnt tobacco for days on end. As soon as it’s nicer out I’ll smoke my pipes and cigars more but right now snuffing is a good, inexpensive, odor-free way of enjoying tobacco.

1 Like

I needed a way to get nicotine that did not involve spit bottles around for my kids to grab. Plus I was using my asthma inhaler numerous times a day when smoking, now I might use it once every few weeks. That is a damn good pro if you ask me.

1 Like

Had a smoking relapse last year, got into vaping as a way of heading that off at the pass, been snuffing now for a few weeks and I’m delighted to have found such a pleasurable new hobby. Of an evening, especially with a beer or two inside me, I would inevitably want to smoke or vape. Not any more. Enjoying my current rotation of WoS Best SP and Viking Blond, with the occasional Hedges hit.

1 Like