A taste of Georgian snuffs...

Just found this in an article entitled ‘Snuff Taking’ from the Chester Courant 6 November 1821 regarding the snuffs available in Messers. Fribourg and Pontets “…from Hardham No 37, for rough sneezers, down to the delicate and costly Maccabau, whose essence is so subtle and pervading, that, like Desdemona’s charms, it makes the senses ache with exuberance of delight. There is Martinique, pungent, aromatic, and best after dinner; Masulapatam, its name and odour transporting the fancy to the gorgeous East; French Bureau, every grain of which gives a man a feel of business; The King of Prussia’s, compounded from Frederick’s receipt, expressly for heroes and statesmen ; Fine Spanish, with which Bonaparte gained all his victories ; Mr. Vansittart’s, usually called for by writers and readers of plans for paying off the national debt; Violet and a-la-Rose, for noviciates and dandies—and, above all, the inimitable Lundy Foot, that master-spirit in sneezing matters, whose single genius has done more for the human nose than the combined discoveries of every preceding tobacconist or amateur, and whose name, though he now is “laid in dust,” flourishes, and will flourish, as long as the world shall keep in view that cardinal maxim, to establish which his life was devoted —that snuff in its perfection should be taken dry.” Jim

@Talljim do you have a link to this article? If so please share. I will move this thread to the library in either case.

I’ve been thinking of getting some Macouba and now I’m even more keen as I’ ve often wanted to have my senses ache with delight.

I subscribe to the British Newspaper Archive. I’m trawling it for snuff related things at the mo. Already found the announcement of Lundy Foot’s death, and his son Lundy Foot jrs murder. Good fun and more to come…

The above quote seems to originate from the new monthly magazine, page 336, a copy of which can be found here: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=k9cRAAAAYAAJ

Interesting ramble-on of an article. I wanted to tell the author to stop and breathe. Interesting article nonetheless. Thanks for the link, I printed those pages off to save.