Something fun from the mod side

About 30 times daily for the last several months we get bogus applicants that think they can join our forum with this generic message: I want to {see new threads|follow the discussion|be part here|see new additions|access all parts|contibute|say something|reply to a thread|reply to a user|message a user|contact a user|read everything Yes, ‘contribute’ is misspelled. Apparently this was the message to “go get 'em” decided on at last years spammers convention, and they figured if they just repeated it ad infanitum they could infiltrate anything they liked and bombard you with website links for Gucci shoes and handbags, for which they are certain you will part with your vast wealth. Or something. Anyway, yeah its fun, I just declined seven and have not been here in a whole 4 hours; but at the end of the day we read every application to join Snuffhouse and if they don’t make any sense or if they seem too generic, we decline them. Thank you to all our members who take your membership seriously. :wink:

You guys do a great job on the site! If you need another on the team to help sift through the BS, I’d happily volunteer.

There can’t be many sites that actually have mods reading the applications, so carry on the good work. If you need any help, and I mean this from the bottom of my heart guys, please don’t hesitate to contact Scurvy :smiley:

will keep it in mind! :)>-

I see all those so call applicants in activitys -please visit my web page. If I wanted commericals I would watch TV. Thanks for the great job and keep up your good work it is appreciated.

@basement_shaman Yeah, applicants can post in the Activity tab, and they often post spam. However, once their application is rejected, their posts are automatically deleted.

@Xander Please consider, as far as possible, the applicants that are not spammers that may be getting rejected. Also consider that we might also enjoy having fun with a troll or two getting though, after all we shouldn’t be overly serious. Alas, I suppose being firm and correct as you are is best.

@Xander Thank you and your colleagues for keeping all of those idiots out. Having said that I do have some sympathy with @Juxtaposer - putting the boot on the other foot and baiting trolls can be quite good fun. But I would rather not do that here.

IMO we’ve had enough fun with trolls in the past. Also I think we do a good job at filtering legitimate applicants from spammers. Some applicants are just a bit confused and think we are a shop or something, or even a forum about chew. Usually we err on the side of approving them and dealing with the problems, if any, later.

I don’t like trolls, keep em out.

Yeah… we won’t be approving trolls. Some may have fun with them, but it’s the mods that have to clean up the shit storm.

I was surprised by the “Why do you want to join?” block when I applied to this forum. I almost left it blank, but changed my mind and answered it. Now that I know it was for, I’m glad I did answer it. Good job folks! I’m glad to know there are some folks looking out for site integrity. I’ve participated on forums with loose or no moderation, and it didn’t take long for the trolls to take over.

I love Gucci shoes, but the woman’s sizes do not fit.