Wooden snuff boxes

I just find these objects fascinating. We’ve had a few posts about silver, so what are the current wood boxes that folks are using? For daily use I’m using one of the Sharrow boxes, keeps the snuff pretty well and is one of the best fitting of all my snuff boxes. Ive also been using a couple of rosewood flip tops but these seem to be only good for a days supply as the snuff gets pretty gritty very soon. Has anyone found a really effective wood? Whilst it looks good and is obviously one of the cheaper materials, most of them do seem to leave a bit to be desired…

These are the ones I use on the daily rotations. The 2 that seems to do the best job at keeping the snuff fresh are the maple boxes, one is right above the 2 little boxes and the one to the right of the teak wilsons box… The wood that seems to suck all moisture up is the oak, like the top left & the one to the top right of the first little maple box. Those 2 are also the oldest from the late 1800’s. I have never tried anything other than the dry Levi in the top center mahogany box so don’t really know how that does with other snuffs. But most of the snuff I use is already fairly dry.

Snuffbox for sale :smiley: I heard rosewood is one of the best for snuff boxes. Very hard. Some very nice and handy boxes, some of them are for sale:

Love your collection Troutsroker, especially the silver bound one. The old ones have certainly worn well. Would be nice to know something of their previous owners, are the European or US in origin?

Well of the flip top style boxes, I only know where one is from. The darker of the maple ones was made in France. I know this because of a makers mark. Its hard to say where the origin was on the rest because the newest one of the flip tops is from the mid 1920’s, the rest are older and around that time, snuff was still being widely used and sold here in the US. They could have been made here or maybe imported and sold in tobacco shops?

I have a few modern flip tops of the four leaf clover inlay types that are currently sold, If you look very closely on the underside of the lids you can just about make out ‘made in france’ The wording clearly indicates they are made for the export market and I would love to know where they originate from. I am lucky in having access to a property in France owned by a retired cop and ive been dozens of times - never seen anyone take snuff and the French seem to be quite fond of tobacco, so Im intrigued where this French snuff box factory might be. I think Samorost said he only knew of one snuff over there and it was made by Poschl

Staffs snuffer - my personal view of wooden boxes is that they look nice and are fairly cheap and available. On the whole they tend not to keep snuff useable for longer than a day (for my taste), so a days supply is all you should put in. I don’t find they retain the smell of the previous snuff and wiping out with a tissue should get rid of any lingering smell of something heavy like Royal George. Most of the ones on the market at the moment are rosewood/padauk but to be honest Ive not found any real difference between woods, I think the seal around the hinge, or the slide, is the important part. They are a good all round container but if you want the best material I would splash out on silver. Pewter is a good second best but a bit soft. If you want wood I would go for slide tops as they have the best seals

Thanks for the reply snuffster, I’ll carry on searching for a nice silver box I think, I’m sure I’ll drop on one soon

Yes, I’ve heard of a snuff called La Prise by Pöschl, but I have yet to land any. I wonder what on Earth could it smell like… Gletscher-Prise EXTRA # 3

Staffs snuffer - have a look at Troutstrokers posts on silver snuff boxes, some excellent cheap ones available at the moment Samorost - if its Poschl it will be menthol like the rest of them!

staffs snuffer, check out these links below along with all the ones on the post of Silver Snuff Box. I can’t vouch for these ones as I have not tried these yet. But they do ship worldwide and they do have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. So you can return for any reason. Snuff Box 1 Snuff Box 2 Snuff Box 3