De Kralingse Spices

We have just received a bunch of De Kralingse spices. These are not snuffs obviously, but I couldn’t resist. You can find them here: SPICES

I figured that since we all obviously enjoy the finer things in life, then these might be a welcome addition to our respective kitchens.

I have also reorganized the snuffs by tobacco leaf type. You will notice that we now have several flavors of Latakia which we only had in Virginia previously. This was by request. I had failed to noticce (my bad) that several flavors come made from different base leaf. For example there is choco and choco-L.  

Here’s a translation of the relevant page from De Kralingse website. I’ll leave it to you to sort out the google translation.

The current frenzy of The Star with the two heavy stones runners who run on a cast iron girder. Between the two tiles, one of the strings can be seen that the grinding and mixing well in the path of the next brick takes. Photo: Aad van Strien

The wind at ground spices are ground in a frenzy so-called corridor. In the grinding of spices in a frenzy, the regrind process crushed by the great weight of the stones (approx 2.5ton) and crushed by the tight turning circle of stones. During grinding the good times always reversed by strings so that the grinding is well mixed and aerated. This makes the spices not heat up during times such that smell and taste as good as possible retained. There are tests which showed that the spices under the current frenzy more of their original flavor and odor than in modern grinders for spices. In these machines, the crushed spices with violence and forced cooled with liquid nitrogen to prevent overheating. The result is a tenfold production in a single machine is not half as large as the frenzy state of The Star, but at the expense of taste and smell of the spices. The nice thing about the frenzy going on that is clearly visible how the grinding process is, For example, different from the milling of grain which is in a closed tank occurs.

Enjoy,

Dave

The curry spice sounds amazing ! Thanks for stocking this !

I seen these when first new on mr snuff,I thought the price was extravagant. Glad to see they been adjusted. I like the idea of wind power spice grinding.And expect the cooling process to bring out the quality of the spice. I grind spices myself .like horse radish, hot peppers,cinnamon and nutmeg, and they are far superior to store bought. Due to the shelf life and the high mark ups most store purchased spices are already old and have lost their optimum flavor. I’ll more then likely be adding a few of these in my basket. I wish these were in vacuumed sealed containers.Since I do most of my baking after harvest . The snuff I have acquired from DE Kralingse has long lasting scent so I suspect their spices should have flavor equally the same also.

I love the windmill snuffs.  I imagine Jaap’s spices would be incredible.

I’m gonna laugh when someone gives us a review for the Dutch Cookie “snuff”.

I love the windmill snuffs.  I imagine Jaap’s spices would be incredible.

I’m gonna laugh when someone gives us a review for the Dutch Cookie “snuff”.

I can see it now, College students doing the cinnamon spoon challenge
YouTube

It looks like large amounts of spices can do funny funny things with you! So take care.

Our spices are not meant to use like that. A small to moderate amount will flavor your dishes without these side effects.

Jaap Bes.

I’ve had an occasion to try a bit of the windmill cinnamon when it was one of the prizes on the great historical quiz. Great thing to have in the kitchen!

The prices on those seems very reasonable, considering what i pay for three year old McCormick brand, i would say they are a steal.

For a second I was thinking - hmmm white pepper flavored snuff.

Looking for reviews of these, although I did order 5 packages of the Mixed Meat Spice to give as Christmas gifts. They sound like they should be wonderful, and I do like the idea of wind-ground spices. Should I run to deKralengse website or Mr. Snuff and order the others? Does anyone have links to the reviews anywhere? Thanks!

BTW, don’t snuff nutmeg. Before your liver shuts down (yes, it can happen with a high enough dosage), you’ll “triP” as if you had eaten psilocybin mushrooms or the like. Something about the mace (the outer layer) that does it, I think. I’m no expert (and BTW have *never* snorted nutmeg). YMMV (Your Mileage may vary).

I pereat, don’t smut nortmeg. Don’t muff snortmeg… do not muff mortsneg…marblegarblegoosh…gark…nurkle…giggle.

Nutmeg was my first snuff BTW. As a snuff it would be difficult to consume enough to reach any level of danger. Not at all like LSD but it tends to stupify. I would not recommend it but for adding a little for scent.

Also snuffed nutmeg as a teenager, heard it contained something related to MDMA. Somewhere else I heard that as few as two nutmegs eaten could be fatal- though probably that was for a child’s body. Yes, be careful people! Worrying if you might be toxic isn’t a fun experience!

Spices from good old Holland - who would have thought .Thanks for sharing that ! very interesting.