Everyone loves a good SP

There are countless good SP style snuffs out there. What are some of your favorites? Here are mine in no particular order. Wilson’s SP Silver Wilson’s Strasbourg Wilson’s Grand Cairo Toque Original McChrystal’s SP

WoS Tom Buck is probably my favourite, though J&H Wilson’s SP # 1 is delicious in its own right.

Toque SP Extra is fabulous and is my new benchmark for SP snuffs and Tom Buck will always be a bit special as it was the very first snuff i tried and of course because its excellant. Then Wilsons Best SP and SP100 are also enormously enjoyable.

Up till yesterday, Toque Original was my favourite with Tom Buck a close second. This morning I’ve received a package from Roderick and now the picture looks like this: Toque SP Extra Toque Original Tom Buck Grand Cairo

Of the one’s I have used, Toque Original, Tom Buck, and Best SP, unless I am forgetting something, I like Wilson’s Best SP the most.

I’ve only tried the Toque Original, Toque SP Extra, and the SG SP #1 HM, and found them all tasty. I haven’t been able to keep my nose out of the SP Extra since I got my package yesterday. Yummy!

Wilsons Queens Extra Strong/ Tom Buck and Samuel Gawith SP no. 1 HM for genuine SPs. Wilsons Morlaix and Strasbourg are also great variations on the SP theme (although they aren’t actual SPs I’ve been told).

SP is to me the “safe habour” that I return to, when I can’t make up my mind which snuff to take out for the day! Never fails to do the job!

I reckon I use more SP snuffs than any other type, in fact probably more SP than everything else put together. Wilson’s Best SP is the one I always seem to return to but I find their Tom Buck, SP100 and Gold Label, J&H Wilson’s SP No 1, McChrystal’s SP, Gawith Hoggarth’s SP and Toque’s SP Extra and Original just as satisfying. I’m also quite keen on the Wilson’s SS and SP2 that I recently got to try for the first time. I view Sam Gawith’s SP No 1 High Mill, Blue Crest and Yellow Crest, J&H Wilson’s Top Mill, Gawith Hoggarth’s Plain and Toque Natural to be variants on the theme that I also enjoy very much. These are all less strongly flavoured with bergamot/citrus than the first lot and as such may possibly be nearer the style of the 18th century SPs, though we can never know for certain. This evening I’m alternating Best SP with GH Kendal Brown with the occasional sniff of SP Extra. It’s as near heaven as you can get with your leg in pot! @ Filek - Jock’s Choice is a lovely snuff but I’m not sure I would class it as an SP, though it isn’t far removed from the type. @ Leman - I’ve never tried the SP Silver. How does it compare to the other SPs from Wilson’s?

Toque SP Extra WoS Grand Cairo WoS Queens Extra Strong In that order.

No problem at all of course. We all have different views on these things. The Gold Label and Top Mill seem to me to be variants on the style, that’s all. While I think about it, I should have included Snuff Store’s Traditional SP as well. I went through the first 10g in no time so had to order more.

Are there any LIGHTLY mentholated SP’s ? I’ve got some Toque Menthol and Wilsons Sm Blue coming in soon, and I’m going to blend a little into a small amount of a few SP’s I have just to see what I get.

@Tony - From what I have read the SP Silver is the same blend as Best SP, but ground quite a bit finer. Beings I prefer a fine snuff, it wins out over Best SP in my book.

@Tony: I would also consider JH Wilson’s Top Mill a SP variant. It’s quite a refreshing snuff!

WOS Best Sp Toque Original WOS SS Mc chrystals Snuff

I’m not sure If J&H Wilson Top Mill is SP. M&W Jock’s Choice, I vote is not. Niether is their Particular. Gold Lablel I vote Yes on, its definately SP in my book. Also lets not forget McChrystal’s S’nuff. My favs? Gold Label Tom Buck Best SP Toque Original but I still want to try the new Toque, WoS and Snuff Store blends. Is Yellow Crest SP or not?

Thanks Leman. I’ll have to get a sample tin of the Silver with my next Snuff Store order. @ Z_2K - I mix my own preferred light menthol SP with equal parts of SM Blue, Camphor & Mild and Tom Buck or Best SP (or similar). It works for me but there again, I do enjoy camphor in those sorts of snuffs. @ Xander - SG list Yellow Crest as an SP, though I tend to view it as only peripherally SP. I do like it though. All the differing opinions go to show just how difficult it is to classify snuffs.

S’Nuff Tom Buck Toque Original That’s today, ask again in a week and the order may change. I just can’t make up my mind. Toque Extra will be on my next order.

"I would also consider JH Wilson’s Top Mill a SP variant. It’s quite a refreshing snuff! " In their booklet ‘All you need to know about snuff’ Wilsons describe their own Top Mill as SP “but with added flavour in a higher concentration”

I’ve not tried a lot of s.p.s however of what I have tried the Grand Cairo is my favorite. It has a slightly spicy undertone that just really hits the spot for me. Second is definatly Tom Buck. Third is toque which I don’t really dig that much not because it’s bad but I like stronger s.p.s and it really just makes me want toque natural which has to be one of my favorite snuffs period.