My New Snuffbox

Here’s the snuffbox I have been working on for a while now. As some of you know I have a bum hip, so I usually have to walk with a cane, so I took it as an opportunity to snuff in style. The cane and top pieces are Black Walnut, and the middle is Cherry, all lathe turned by yours truly. I just got it finished tonight. So far it doesn’t look like it will leak, but I might have to add a rubber gasket later on. The small hole holds one of the tiny spoons I got from Xander, as when the snuff gets close to empty it is rather difficult to get my fingers in to take a pinch. This should hold a full day’s worth of snuff between the two compartments. Tomorrow will be it’s first real test, and I’ve already filled it with Wilson’s Jasmine and McChrystal’s Clove.

Man, that’s bitchin’!

I like it. If you have to use a cane, might as well make it as stylish as you can. With your spoon, and pocket watch and other parephenalia, you are clearly Mr. Fancy. A small thread or lanyard I find keeps those little spoons from getting lost. Try velvet or satin of you want to class it up some more. It will also make it easier to pull the spoon out of the little slot you made for it. Please, let us know how it works, and if you’re ready to market them to compete with Patrick’s boxes!

What craftsmanship!

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Nice work, man! Very nice!. An alternative to the rubber gasket thingy would be to put the tow pits back on the lathe again, and turn a small “lip” on the bottom to correspond to a “groove” in the top. Leave the groove a bit deeper than the lip, and you should be able to ensure a good, tight seal without having to use a gasket. Just a thought, from my long-ago days in the antiques business, when we saw such a joint used on our share of table-top powder boxes, tea chests, and the occasional wooden snuff box.

Nice work man! very nice!

I like it. Very classy!

That’s really cool.

That’s brilliant Leman, great craftsmanship. Stefan

Well it turns out the two compartments were not enough snuff for an entire day. It’s a good thing I brought along a tin just in case. I’ll be drilling another hole tomorrow.

This one goes into the books! Looking forward to seeing more goodies from your lathe.

Wow! That is truly excellent, leman! Fantastic craftsmanship.

leman, how come you’ve a bum hip at the age of 23? That’s a very nice snuffbox indeed but I’d rather go without it at my age (65). See, all the young ladies will know my age if I must use a walking cane to get along.

Nice job leman.

That is awesome, Leman. I think it’s great that you have turned something that plagues you into a positive (not to mention stylish as hell).

A nice nod to the glory years for snuff of the 18th Century when snuff box walking canes were all the rage.

Sweet as hell leman!!

Very, very cool.

Leman, You still using the snuff box you made?