F&T - Seville

This is not what I expected. I do get a vary subtle orange scent but more I think it is sandalwood. I expected something like st. clements. Is that what it is suppose to be like? It is vary close, but not the same as, F&T morlaix.

How many times do I have to tell it. Seville is scented with Neroli oil. it is orange flower oil. I can spell it out. T h e f l o w e r of t h e o r a n g e. Iā€™m trying to be smart here. I understand the assumption that the flower would smell like the fruit. There is a lot of other details about this world renowned oil, Neroli. Iā€™m no teacher. Just a jackass. So if you want to be a student (highly recommended) do a little googling or something. Hope this helps. P.S. I was just thinking about this scent. Itā€™s very unique. I was thinking about why it is not used in combination with other scents (or is it? ).

Jarhog, Seville is a subtler snuff than St Clements. Its an ancient snuff going back a couple of hundred years, and modern flavours do tend to be a bit more up front. Also, F and T does generally have a slight other scent behind the main flavouring in the same way that Dholakia does. I think this is the cure and leaf as much as anything else but the old makers certainly liked their sandalwood and tonquin beans and there might be a dab of this in there as well.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure if I have a tin of Seville or not. Is it bad if I donā€™t even know what snuffs I have any more? Looks like Iā€™ll be digging through my collection tonight to see if Iā€™ve got it.

1 Like

I think there might be some Neroli in Dholakiaā€™s Ganga.

There is Neroli Oil in ā€œMullins & Westley Jockā€™s Choiceā€.

Has anybody noticed a deference in Seville? I got 2 new tubes and when I first opened them I noticed a big difference. The grind was coarser and the scent was deferent. The first snuff I took was vary bitter orange peel. After I aired it out a bit, it is close to the old tube but I still donā€™t like the coarser uneven grind. Some feedback please:-)

This was my first F&T and as I posted on a different thread: I took a pinch before going to bed last night and when I woke up, I could still smell it! Seville reminds me of an older womanā€™s perfume, which I am not a fan of. However, I love the tin, so no complaintsā€¦ :wink: I ordered it because I was expecting a citrus/orange smell, I obviously had no clue as to what ā€˜neroli orangeā€™ smelled like.

Jarhog this is a perennial complaint with F&T. I suspect like fine wines there is just too much difference in tobacco crops and maybe the flavorings as well. I just try to look at it as an agricultural product, some years and some batches are better than others. No way around it probably.

1 Like

Good to know that I am not the only one to notice. zzedo - I never made the association with older womenā€™s perfume before. It does remind me of some fond memories of older women I knew in my youth. Maybe that is why I like it.

Iā€™m not saying Iā€™ve noticed this personally (although come to think of it maybe I have but not with F&T) but Iā€™ve read enough to believe this is whatā€™s happening. I think it has a little charm, actually. Just like with wine, some years are great, some horrible, and some just ok. Tobacco canā€™t be that different. Pity we donā€™t have wine-like labeling on snuff, then we could compare vintages! I think itā€™s also a testimony to English snuff, which is relatively pure tobacco with natural flavorings. Iā€™m sure if they used chemical flavorings they could mask year-to-year differences but then weā€™d have a ā€œ10 billion soldā€ type of hamburger where I prefer the one made by that hole in the wall restaurant down the street.

1 Like

Maybe some snuff makers are reading this and will start dating products.

I like this F&T offering. While it is rather plain and not very memorable just the fact that itā€™s not over powering in the perfume department is a great relief to me.

Seriously? Plain? I think its the most heavily perfumed one in their line. I love it though. Magnificent snuff.

Gives me the shakes thinking about it. Too perfumey for me.

I got a tube of thisā€¦mostly because Pieter always talked well of it. I still have it and go back to it from time to time, but I canā€™t seem to get into it. I was expecting more oranges, not sniffing Lady Greyā€™s panties. Guess I should have done more research first on the scent. I donā€™t believe in throwing tobacco out. Maybe some day it will suit me.(.not the panties, the Seville)

Seville is the least of the F&T line for me, it is very perfumy, too much for my taste. I am considering mixing it with something to tone it down a bit. I do love the perfumed snuffs but this one was just too strong for me. Mind you I have not revisited it in some time. I think I will go dig out my tin and take a bit, perhaps it has changed for me.

It definately takes getting used to, and its not for everyone. The neroli oil has little resemblance to orange fruit. Its the essance of the Bitter Orange (aka Seville Orange) flower. Flowers often smell considerably different to their respective fruits. Neroli has a profound effect on me. Iā€™ve found several floral snuffs have different aromatherapy properties. Some can be mildly intoxicating like this one.

@ Xander: Itā€™s a nice easy going scent compared to F&Tā€™s usual barrage of scents and aromas. But in the same breath itā€™s not some miracle snuff either, in that it certainly, for me, does not stand out.

Not complex. I agree to that. The three Ms, the two Princes, Bordeaux and Dr. Justice are all rather complex and also rather perfumy. Most have some combination of geranium, violet and rose in them giving the whole F&T range a distinct character.

1 Like