Snuff Boxes and Snuffing on "Flog It" (UK TV)

Amazing! Wife just called me to watch a bit of “Flog It” on the telly. Usually it’s just standard daytime TV drivel in which people try to make some cash out the junk they have lying around at home, but this time they had someone showing off his massive collection of snuff boxes at the Wilson’s factory in Sheffield. Most impressive. They then proceeded to take a pinch, though inevitably the presenter was less than keen, saying “Don’t try this at home.” Needless to say, we both had a good laugh at that! Overall it showed snuff taking and “snuffologists” (as they said snuff takers were known in the 18th century) in a good light.

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Sorry, you’re right, noseologist is what he said. My short-term memory clearly playing up… it’s an age thing… :frowning:

Recently I saw an episode of “antiques roadshow” where they are in the UK and the guy had a couple gold snuffboxes. They looked really cool. I thought the “appraiser” was way under the mark. I can’t remember how many pounds he said they were worth but I remember thinking I’ve seen the gold boxes on ebay go for 3 to 4 times what he was telling the guy.

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Aha! Thanks for letting us know. Now I can see the first few minutes that I missed yesterday.

And here’s the direct link. It should be available for another 6 days.Link

Nice little piece, the BBCi player is a useful thing.

The original machinery that you can see in use in the old clip is just like the machinery they still use at Sam Gawith’s in Kendal. In fact there are a lot of similarities between the two places.

Anyone know a way to see this in the US? Says BBCi is only for users in the UK.

Rats! I didn’t know it was restricted like that. No idea how to get around that though. Sorry.

I guess getting someone (with more IT skills than me) to put it on youtube?

Thanks for the heads up - never seem them before but i like the Scottish snuff box with the pinch point to stop you taking to large a pinch :slight_smile: Video capture is now available for everyone to watch, see: link to video