What snuff should I try?

I want to branch out and try some different snuffs.  Looking at it, I think that Snuffstore.de would be my best source.  So, what would be a good selection to go for from them, trying to get a range of lands/brands and so on.

So far I have used Aplina and Gletscherprise.  As a guide I prefer the milder menthol of Gletscherprise if I am honest, as it has some lovely herbal notes in there.

If you can keep it to a list of 10 or so that would give me an interesting “stable” of snuff to sample from.

Cheers

Effy.

F&T High Dry Toast - nice classic plain dry snuff with slightly nutty scentSG London Brown:  moist and coarser grind, fermented tobacco scent, briney

Toque lime toast:  high quality tobacco with good nic hit and wonderful citrus notesWilson’s Tom Buck:  good example of an SP snuff; I’m not a fan of SPs but many many snuffers love SPs

Viking Dark:  nice and strong, pure dark tobacco

Dholakia white:  not user friendly, but white snuffs are very rewarding in the nicotine department and this is a popular one

WIlson’s Crumbs of Comfort: very popular spearmint snuff–different from the average menthol

Starr scotch snuff:  a nice, well-rounded example of the smoky American scotches that’s less of a shock to the nose than say Rooster or Garrett 

RR Mills Maccoboy:  hard to find rose and tobacco flavoured snuff from the U.S.A.–more coarse and moist than most American snuffs

SWS Cr

2 Likes

not sure why it cut me off

“What snuff should I try?” All of them >:) Seriously, I have found that following other people’s tastes didn’t do me many favours. Reviews can be very useful for identifying similarities with known snuffs for you to try or avoid as appropriate. I would try at least one of a few different genres, and see which type work best for you… Rappee, medicated, Indian, schmaltzer, toast, scotch, SP, fruity, perfumed, plain, dessert

6 Likes

What @50ft_trad said. Try as many as you can. When you find a few things you really like ask us for similarities.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips.  I think that was part of my question - if I stick to what I know and what is similar to what I like, I might be missing out on some lovely snuffs because they are wildly different.  At the same time, while snuff is not exactly expensive, I don’t want to spend money without at least a bit of first hand advice on some interesting points to start off on, one or two good examples of types of snuff.  While 10 people might well give me 11 answers to this question, I imagine that there will be some correlation especially if it comes to things to avoid, which will all go in to the choices.

So far I am quite interested in 

F&T High Dry Toast

SG London Brown

WIlson’s Crumbs of Comfort

Starr scotch snuff - or another great whisky snuff

Something rosey - Wilson’s Rose, RR Mills Maccoboy or something else?

So far the only rose scented snuff I have tried is toque. It is like smelling a rose still attached to the rose bush.

I think you are off to a good start there @Effy I would consider adding 6P Kailash to sample a good indian scented snuff, and if you like that the Anarkali is based around a rose scent Other suggestions for different types would be Dr JR Justice, one of the fruit snuffs from Toque (my favourites are Pomegranate and Blueberry), and either Viking Dark or Black Rappee. Possibly add a classic SP too, such as Tom Buck or JHW’s SP No.1. You will have a good broad spectrum to sample there.

1 Like

If you’re looking for a rose snuff, get a tin of Toque rose. It’s a very nice natural smelling rose snuff.

1 Like

You should order a few McChrystals, especially the O&G and a fruity one.

Toques are also a good idea, although ordering directly from the toque website is the better choice if you want to recieve very fresh tins.

I would recommend that you order at least 2 normal Toques and 2 Toque USA. 

6Photo Kailash and Anarkali are also very special, great snuffs, but I found it hard to obtain fresh tins at snuffstore.de , but you can try it.

Samuel Gawith Elmos Reserve is a must, you will either love it or hate it.

Don’t forget to add a WoS SP such as Tom Buck or Best SP.

1 Like

Yeah SP snuffs (tobacco and bergamot) are very popular–give one a try. I like Wilson’s Best Dark for an SP, personally, but I’m not huge on SPS (or Earl Grey tea, for that matter).

I’m an SP fiend.  I enjoy a nice variety of snuffs, but an SP is my daily must-have staple.

@Effy Starr and other American scotch snuffs aren’t whisky flavored–the “scotch” just basically means powdered dry snuff. Scorched tobacco, so to speak. The flavour of most non-sweet American scotches is quite smokey. I believe the tobacco is hung in a barn and a hickory or mesquite fire is made; the smoke covers the tobacco, giving it a BBQ scent. Some love it, some don’t. Most people in the south and especially southeastern U.S. where dry snuff is still sold at grocery stores etc. actually dip the snuffs orally, though 250 years ago they were designed for nasal use. Certainly the sweet American snuffs cater more to oral users, though some people enjoy using them nasally (myself included). Apart from Checkerberry and RR Mills Maccoboy, they are all very dry and very finely ground, so care must be taken not to sniff too hard.

1 Like

@Effy These are all great suggestions. If you like natural tobaccos the Viking’s are a must try Brown, Dark or Thor’s Hammer. SG Kendal Brown, Black Rappee and Scotch Black. Elmo’s Reserve is my new favoritefrom SG with a wonderful Tonquin bean scent, like mentioned this is either a love or hate snuff. McChrystals Original and Genuine is a beautiful menthol and camphor snuffs very elegant with a nice earl grey back drip if you sniff it wrong, Highland Ice very similar to O&G though a little less intense with an added note of eucalyptus.

It took me awhile to get around to the SG range due to not being able to buy small sample tins (I refuse to buy tap boxes) so I am glad i’ve decided to pick up the larger tins. 6 Photo are great since you can buy small 4g samples at a great price, same with McC’s in 3.5 and 4.4gs. Anyway try them all and follow your nose!

Ah, it’s not whisky-scented?  A little bit let down :smiley:

F&T High Dry Toast

SG London Brown

Starr scotch snuff

6Photo Kailash

Viking Dark 

Samuel Gawith Elmos Reserve

Wilson’s Tom Buck

SP snuffs bergamot (but doesn’t seem to be any on snuffstore.de)

1 Like

I don’t have access as of now to many of the types (and none of the brands outside India), but I would highly recommend the following 6 photo snuffs: Super Kailash, Special, Medicated No. 6, and the Anarkali. Swastik snuff is a nice one if you wish a subtle tobacco taste with a hint of menthol. 

@newbiesnuffer always had my eye on the Swastik but never could go to bat on such a large amount. Just wish I could get a stuffed 10g tin of it. Same goes with the Madras snuff in the NB,NC range.

I have the NB Madras snuff and the Swastik - 50g each. But the way you guys are spoilt for choice, I don’t think you need to worry much about these two a lot :slight_smile: @nicmizer

I will check those out.  The Swastik isn’t available here in Austria/Germany - hardly surprising.  I wonder if it has any other names, though, so it might be packaged differently here.

F&T High Dry Toast

SG London Brown

Starr scotch snuff

6Photo Kailash

6Photo medicated no. 6

Viking Dark 

Samuel Gawith Elmos Reserve

Wilson’s Tom Buck

SP snuffs bergamot (but doesn’t seem to be any on snuffstore.de)

Well, that’s 10 already which I think seems to be a nice sampling from various directions.

Thanks for the help, everyone

1 Like

@Effy - Thats quite a lot. Yum. I would be mentally dancing if I had this kind of variety of stock :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like