Clumpy Snuff

My 25 gram tin of Elmo’s Reserve is CLUMPY, and keeps getting more clumpy.  Now most of the tin consists of 5 or 6 big clumps of snuff.  Would you folks say this is normal with Elmo’s?  Good?  Bad?  I figure there is probably no problem with it, and that it’s due to the moisture.  But I started wondering if this degree of moisture might invite mold or I don’t know… cause something undesired.

Send the snuff through a tea or flour strainer onto a sheet of paper this air time should eliminate some of the moisture.Then decant it into airtight preferably glass jar. If you are worried about mold, stick it in the freezer.Then fill your snuff box with a day or two amount of snuff to enjoy.

2 Likes

My 6 Photo gets clumpy too, BUT…

Since I keep my snuff in a wooden snuffbox, I just give the box a good shake before opening it.

1 Like

I’ve always been curious about freezing snuff.  Since such temperatures are often employed to break the cell walls of plant matter whilst processing said plant matter, in order to make the contents thereof more bioavailable.  Has anypony noticed a change in the consistency or potency of snuff that has been frozen vs the same snuff un-frozen?
Re: clumping, I’m afraid I have no experience with Elmo’s snuffs, though I have had many clumpy ones.  It’s usually due to the snuff being moist and very well packed in its container; decanted, one can’t imagine how so much snuff fit into such a small vessel.  In my experience it breaks apart by itself in the snuffbox; but getting more clumpy?  I’ve never had that happen.  I thought climate might play a role, but Nebraska isn’t exactly Florida.
I’ve long wondered about glass.  I use some glass jars, but most often I just keep storing it in its container.  The two and a half pounds of snuff I bought from WoS in 2010 is just as fresh and ammonia-y as when it arrived, and I haven’t moved them from the plastic containers they came in.  Ditto for the Sun snuffs in the metal cans.  Maybe it’s the climate where I live; your mileage may vary…

2 Likes

I think that unless you are storing snuff that won’t be used for over a year from now that for the most part all of the methods discussed are usually overkill for non artisan snuffs (since they usually have preservatives and are packaged generally to last indefinately)

. For a lot of us though it gives us peace of mind to know that we have snuff that will stay in the same condition it was on the day we first received it. So, I’m a bit guilty of this myself, lol. I keep my bulk snuff in Pelican cases. For moist snuffs that I won’t go through quickly I usually transfer these to small baby jars because they can sometimes eat into the tin and they are the most vulnerable to drying up. For toasts I find that they usually stay fine no matter if I take precautions or not. Typically, for the ones I bulk up on it depends on the brand for what I will do. F&T HDT comes in wonderful tins and jars. I don’t do anything for them and they are always perfect. For others where I question the tin I will use electrical tape along the edge. Most importantly I won’t put anything in a bullet or snuffbox that I don’t plan on consuming within the next 1-3 days. Ideally 2 days. 

The only real worry I have is mold. I’ve never had it. If a snuff drys out it can be very easily remoisterized. I’ve never stored snuff in the fridge or freezer. I guess if I were stocking up for the apocalypse I might handle things differently.