The History of Snuff -a WHO monograph on Smokeless Tobacco and Some Tobacco-specific N-Nitrosamines

This publication by WHO has very sciency title of “IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans,
VOLUME 89 Smokeless Tobacco and Some Tobacco-specific N-Nitrosamines”, and like the title says it’s about Tobacco-specific N-Nitrosamines, but it also happens to have rather good history of snuff and descriptions of more obscure regional smokeless tobaccos around the world. The snuff stuff starts at page 54 of the .pdf  (page 43 in the original printed version).

Obviously, many may find the science interesting, as well.

pdf 3.2M: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hedu7izyql5upcc/mono89.pdf?dl=0

If the link doesn’t work I also put the history part here for easier reading: https://www.reddit.com/r/nasalsnuff/wiki/history\_of\_snuff

Thanks for the post.  That’s a lot of research - do leave it up please.  

I saw you post shortly after you posted it, and thought, “nice post.”  I’ll come back to this when I’m not at work and read it.  I didn’t think I’d waste my time or your time posting “nice post.”  And that’s really all I had to say at the time.  Just FYI.

Mark

Thanks for the links. I enjoyed the history part. The science is too complicated for me, i’m affraid. 

I’m also happy with the other good reads I found via your Reddit link.

Interesting article. Need to look better into it.

Jaap Bes.

That is a plethora of info to rap this noodle around. I found some of my Scotches and Dips are in the higher brackets of nicotine.No wonder they are my favorites.The attraction is more than just flavor .

Very interesting data. It seems that many of the Indian dry snuffs are also used orally. I notice that some of the types I use say “Naswar Snuff” on the tin. For example, Himalaya. I can’t imagine wetting it, rolling it into a little ball, and then popping it into my mouth, but apparently thats how its meant to be used. There is so much data in this monograph that I just jumped place to place. Thanks for giving us the link.

Downloaded. :smiley: Looks like a big project to read, but very interested to see what these folks have to say about such products. Also curious if this is the same WHO that said in the 70s [paraphrasing] “we will eradicate all tobacco use within a few decades. We don’t have the science yet, but we’ll make it up if we need to.”

1 Like

I like to know how this is pinned to the top when Introduce yourself and the Buy,sell,trade thread gets buried. 

@basement_shaman - funny, I was just wondering the same thing.

“What’s in Your Nose” should probably be pinned too.

@basement_shaman @cpmcdill all those threads should be pinned, they show as pinned to me (announced on here). If they aren’t showing let me know and we can look into it as it may be another bug.

@Skell18 - today is the first time I’m seeing “What’s in Your Nose?” as pinned. I am glad it has happened, though it probably should have been one of the first things pinned when the forum was “reborn”

Now I would like to nag the moderators to get the like-agree-insightful buttons back, and restore the point system. I think these things actually gave many members more incentive for participation in the forum.

1 Like

@cpmcdill, do you have an original for that paraphrase?  It’s piqued my interest.