What does the smell of snuff remind you of?

I’m 64 years old so, I grew up in a time when General Stores were where we all shopped. The attendants stood behind a counter and all the stuff were packed in shelves on there side of the counter. The customer were then “served”; you asked for the things you needed and the attendant fetched the goods for you. One could also hand in a note, or use a “grocery book” and your goods were then packed in a box and you could come and collect it later on. Now these General Dealers sold everything, from a policeman to a dead eliphant!! And the most wonderful smell lingered in such a shop. Only someone who have been in such a shop, will know what I mean. Whenever I open a box/tin of snuff and I bring it to my nose, the smell carries me away to those days!! And I love it

Lovely thank you for sharing your personal Nostalgia. It sounds like a time when people really knew their customers names. Sound like a wonderful store and interesting place to work.

Yeah and nowadays I can’t get a cashier to understand why when my total is 5.77 I am giving them 11 dollars and 2 cents! They think I am trying to pull a scam or something!

LOL!!! I had to break out a calculator for that one! The debt card has killer my ability to do simple math in my head!

LOL. What always got me thought was it was always a cashier with a computer cash register. They could type in anything and it would do the math for them. Shoot most fast food places have a machine that count out your change and dispenses it for you automatically. I remember one time I had given someone a ten and a one when the total was five dollars and change. I didn’t go as far as trying to make the change correct, I just wanted a five back. The person kept giving me my one back saying that ten was enough. So finally I just said fine and after she gave me four ones back I gave her my dollar and asked for a five. Still didn’t click in the cashiers head!

cashier jobs are the most mind numbing thing imaginable. Even Stephen Hawkins would have trouble give change out after a few hours shift.

Ohh I know it. Growing up I can remember at least three jobs I had where I had to stand at a cash register. A convenient store, a grocery store, and a fast food place. From what I remember the fast food place had their cash registers completely computerized. It was a touch screen computer with mostly pictures of things. When you rang somebody up it would show you pictures of all the dollars and cents and give you a few different amount that the customer might give you. Like I said earlier as well when you rang them up the coins would automatically be dispensed from a machine so you never had to count them. I mean it was just so obvious of the caliber of people the store knew they were employing. I soon decided construction would be more my style while still in school.

Only had one job run register and it was horrid much rather be cooking then letting my soul athropy while waiting to change money into garbage. That’s another thing there is something utterly depressing about the amount of money that changes hands at a register while you are makeing shit for money, it really makes you not feel like putting any more of yourself into it when some fat slob is getting more from you then they deserve.

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Yeah I know a lot of people that have so much trouble when it comes to percents. I guess I am lucky it all makes sence to me. I tend to be very good with numbers, fractions, percents, etc… But to not be able to realize 1/3rd of 18 is 6 is nuts.

Well that screwed me right up. As child in Canada during the early 80’s we were not taught fractions as important life rewarding lessons.It lasted about 2 days and we were on to other things. Kind of like a history lesson. Infact, as of 1978 Canada changed to the metric system and slowly killed of the “standard” of inches, feet, fractions, etc… I had to google a little bit there to remember what the hell a 1/3 actually was!! LOL!!! not quite a 1/2 but a little more then a 1/4. Can’t get these pie charts out of my mind!! I’ll just stick with percent. Wow I just created my own Off topic thread … sorry guys… I return the thunder… nightcap

The top divided by the bottom. 1/3 is 33.3% (Wishing I had a smiley face to paste in here) We now return you to Pieter’s very interesting thread… Cheers, Java

I tried some TOQUE Natural this morning on a “clean” nose. It really is STRONG but pleasantly so. The tobacco flavour is unreal and it took me far away, to me childhood days. It reminded me of early mornings on the farm, when we were headed for the open fields to gather sheep on horseback. When one walked into the stables to collect the saddles and headgear, the smell of the leather was so nice. Then, when the horses were saddled and just before we took off, the farmhands would light their pipes, filled with STRONG Springbok tobacco. The lovely smell of the burning tobacco would linger on the early morning breeze, making me crave for some smoke myself. But I was only a kid then and not supposed to smoke yet! I believe TOQUE Natural will become one of my firm favourites quite soon and, being a grown-up now, I may use it when ever I feel like it.