I have Now Tried 312 Snuffs: A Few Observations in Retrospect

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I keep records of all the snuffs that I have tried. Do you? See the link below. http://www.snuffhouse.org/discussion/8366/do-you-keep-records-of-your-snuffs-and-experiences#latest Anyway, I have now tried 312 different snuffs since June of 2013 when my interest in snuff was renewed in a big way (I was first using snuff around 1980). I do not believe this puts me in the expert category as many snuffers here on Snuffhouse have far more experience and knowledge and have tried far more snuffs than I have. Nonetheless, having now tried over 300 snuffs there are a few things I have learned and maybe you might find it interesting if I shared some of those observations, and then again maybe you won’t care at all. But here goes in any case… • The nicotine experience and its increase of alertness and focusing power, with snuff, are very different and superior to the nicotine experience with cigars, pipes, or cigarettes (I don’t put tobacco in my mouth so I cannot speak to that). And I far, far prefer the nicotine experience with snuff over the others. • I seem to have hit a plateau recently whereupon I have stopped my mad buying spree where I wanted to try everything, and to try it all right now. • My enjoyment of the snuff hobby is far more relaxed than it was previously. • I am still repulsed by menthol snuffs in spite of the many that I have tried. I wanted to like them but it just wasn’t happening for me. • I feel like I have a more solid understanding of nasal snuffs in general. • I feel like I have achieved a slightly higher level of mastery of snuff use than I had before. • I believe that I am more capable of evaluating snuffs than I was previously, and am better at seeing both subtle and overt differences between them. • I seem to have acquired more of an overview of the snuff world even though that overview is not as developed as so many of the snuffers on Snuffhouse who have more experience than I. • There are certain styles of snuff that I am very familiar with and can recognize those different styles in so many snuffs even from different makers and countries. • I have become very aware of my favorite makers and I know why they are favorites. • I have become more fussy and particular than ever. • I have become more and more amazed that snuff is not far more popular around the world, although I imagine this is largely due to false associations with snorting illegal drugs like cocaine and meth. • FUBAR Bohica should be given regularly to psychopaths, sociopaths, and vicious criminals as the threat of it might be enough to get them to change their ways. It should also used to replace waterboarding and other forms of torture. Comments? I would enjoy your thoughts and responses…

You are obviously a man of letters. I am always in awe of those who can so clearly elucidate their feelings, and root out different aromas and their root origins. Me, I happen to agree with pretty much everything you have listed above. and can only really add that ‘It is we few, we LUCKY few’ who are so blessed by such an uplifting, almost enlightening, experience, pretty much whenever we wish to see the joy in life…

I’m actually torn on your 2nd to last point there @fredh. On the one hand I would love to have more people with whom I can discuss and enjoy snuff (I think we all have that urge, being members of this forum). On the other hand I think that one reason to why snuff is so cheap compared to other forms of tobacco is that it is fairly unknown, and has therefore snuck under the governments’ radars. And I’d rather be a lone snuffer than a broke snuffer ;] .

FUBAR Bohica Flavor your next pot of chili. I wish I would had kept a journal of my snuff journey.

You are obviously a man of letters. I am always in awe of those who can so clearly elucidate their feelings, and root out different aromas and their root origins. Me, I happen to agree with pretty much everything you have listed above. and can only really add that ‘It is we few, we LUCKY few’ who are so blessed by such an uplifting, almost enlightening, experience, pretty much whenever we wish to see the joy in life…

Wow @stogie, you might want to go back and reread the last sentence in your post I have quoted above and then congratulate yourself for elucidating your feelings with so much expression and insight. You are lacking nothing, my friend. Be in awe of yourself. Thank you.

I’m actually torn on your 2nd to last point there @fredh. On the one hand I would love to have more people with whom I can discuss and enjoy snuff (I think we all have that urge, being members of this forum). On the other hand I think that one reason to why snuff is so cheap compared to other forms of tobacco is that it is fairly unknown, and has therefore snuck under the governments’ radars. And I’d rather be a lone snuffer than a broke snuffer ;] .

You bring up an interesting dilemma and a valid speculation, @Bastu. There is definitely an upside and a downside here. And at least you are not torn on the last point and do not argue with me regarding the evils of Bohica.

FUBAR Bohica Flavor your next pot of chili.

If @basement_shaman truly does put that stuff in his chili then he must have a strong constitution indeed. We all know and respect his great knowledge of snuff but who knew that his knowledge of chili is so advanced but also bordering on the torturous. He must be a master of pain. >:) I honestly believe that Bohica in marinated in the fires of hell. >:)

Fredh, Nicely observed.

Thank you, Roderick. We are so fortunate if not blessed to have you with us. Just knowing you are out there promoting our hobby with your many truly wonderful snuffs is a great comfort (not to mention a great pleasure) to us all.

@fredh A very well articulated and insightful post. I have not been keeping track, but I think I’m somewhere between 200 & 300. It really has been a fascinating experience discovering all the varieties available, and developing my palate and preferences. I too have come to discover that I don’t care for menthol snuffs, though I’m okay with those that have a hint of mint amidst other ingredients. Usually it’s just too much. Over time I’m turning more to natural tobacco snuffs, toasts, and those in the SP family, and away from the floral and fruit. What I wanted most to like were coffee and chocolate snuffs, but they have largely been disappointing. I do sometimes turn to Bohica when I feel my sinuses need a royal beatdown. First thing in the morning when I’m rather clogged up, I throw a grenade or two up my nose to bring on an explosive fit of sneezing that does the trick. Then I’m good for more subtle snuffs. I won’t deny the psychopath epithet. Crazy is as crazy does.

Fred over the last 3 decades I probably tried a few hundred hot sauces. Now I make my own. Eating hot peppers does elevate your pain threshold it also contains plenty of natural vitamins and other essential minerals. They are great for your overall health. And I have tried Bohica orally more than a few times. I don’t enjoy putting it my nose very often. #:-S

Fred over the last 3 decades I probably tried a few hundred hot sauces. Now I make my own. Eating hot peppers does elevate your pain threshold it also contains plenty of natural vitamins and other essential minerals. They are great for your overall health. And I have tried Bohica orally more than a few times. I don’t enjoy putting it my nose very often. #:-S

@basement_shaman I like some hot sauces as well but my pain tolerance is nowhere near yours I am sure. You must be very advanced if you are making your own. Thanks for the clarification on your intake of Bohica… It is curious… I like Abraxas Dragun and FireDrac on occasion but Bohica just burns my nose something fierce. I won’t do it again. But I confess that I do enjoy making fun of the stuff.

@fredh thank you for sharing such a wonderful and insightful journey with us! I have only been partaking in this amazing hobby for around 2 months or so now, and have only tried a few snuffs. You have given me the inspiration to keep a journal of my usage, I really do thank you. Hopefully I’m time I can contribute something as productive to our community.

You had me until the bit about using Bohican on prisoners. I can’t think of a crime that would justify such vicious treatment.

Good thread! I too after first getting into snuff went on a mad rampage, acquiring different snuffs from all over the world. I am lucky enough (or unlucky depending on your point of view) of having a nose that only works with a few snuffs. If anyone has ever used a nasal snuff with a sniffer tube, you’ll know how this generally sends the snuff rocketting too far back. Having very slim nostrils, it’s like I have sniffer tubes permanently fitted, and I probably need to take the same care on a coarser snuff like Berwick Brown as others do with such as HDT. For me, the finer grinds are just unusable. I also find that the pinch is absolutely 100% the best method for controlling the snuff when using it. The box car, spoon and other methods where the snuff is just sat there rather than “held”, also leads me to receiving snuff too fast/high up for the same reason. Ultimately this means that oily snuffs are far too messy for me, fine grinds and toasts range from occasionally tolerable (fruity Toques) to utterly torturous (Lime Toast/HDT), and really coarse snuffs such as babaton blue can be used but is much lower quantities than by other users. From what is left, remove all the sickly, overly burning, and overpowering floral snuffs (Firedance is nice but can be too intense at times, though is wonderful for enhancing/rescuing a snuff which lost it’s edge). On top of all that, I find the coarser artisan snuff give me a throat drip that is so acrid, that a wonderful nose experience is shortly followed by feeling like I’ve been gargling with old gearbox oil. Such if the world of snuff, that despite all these various personal challenges, there is still a wealth of variety I can enjoy. There’s various nutty, fruity, plain, floral, and minty flavours available, even for a nose as defective as mine. I pretty much stick to stuff made in Kendal, Berwick and Sheffield now, and am still very choosy as to which of theirs I’ll use, but in no way feel restricted as there’s still a range of flavours available to suit every mood. I no longer feel the need to try everything new that appears on the market, and can just kick back and enjoy a good range of snuffs that are proven to brighten my day.

@fredh thank you for sharing such a wonderful and insightful journey with us! I have only been partaking in this amazing hobby for around 2 months or so now, and have only tried a few snuffs. You have given me the inspiration to keep a journal of my usage, I really do thank you. Hopefully I’m time I can contribute something as productive to our community.

Thank you for your very kind comments, @vitellius. We are very lucky to be on this journey together with all of our snuff brothers (and a few sisters). It is as though we have this grand secret that is virtually unknown to the rest of the world, and while we know snuff to be so fantastic we are continually astonished that the rest of the world has no clue what they are missing!