WoS Jockey Club

I have to say I have tried most of the WoS’s line and this is by far one of my favorite types. A very smooth snuff with a very long lasting floral scent. For some, it may be cloying, but for me, a fan of well done florals I quite adore this snuff. very finely ground, almost like dust and quite smooth on the fingertips. the scent, a combination of what all ingredients, i can’t say - i only love it. the scent is very long lasting too. so much so that i have to wait quite a while to snuff another type or simply snuff more. is there a history behind jockey club? can someone tell me?

There is some history. Somone posted once about 6-10 months ago. Probably PhilipS. I’m not sure what’s in it. Keep in mind its a non-proprietary name so Gawith Hoggarth have one, (and maybe Frederick Tranter?) and they could be a bit different.

i enjoyed the flavour of jockey club however i would enjoy it more if it was slightly more subtle as it can be overpowering.

@true that Xander. I’ll have to try the others. But does F &T have a jockey club? never heard of it.

No, F&T does not.

Just got a tin of Wilsons of Sharrow’s Jockey Club today. I’m not used to ‘floral’ snuff, but scent is certainly long lasting, and quite pleasant.

F&T kendal brown is similar please note I say similar and not the same to jockey club.

I do love wos Jockey Club, nice strong floral.

The only floral I like, though I haven’t tried the SG florals yet.

wos jockey club a great snuff but i’m a bad bad man as i like to mix the wos jockey club with wos high dry toast No22 in a 30/70 mix yep it hits hard, but a great mix try it…

I only use JC as a flavouring for blends, just a touch in a plain SP is nice but its a little bit sickly otherwise.

what would you label F&T Morocco? I like it alot…

Flavoured as it is with Geranium I would call it a floral. The only floral snuffs I use with any regularity are Rose or Carnation, Toque or WoS versions. Rose is another fantastic ‘seasoning’ snuff. In my snuffbox at the moment is a mixture of Rose, HDT and Quit. Powerful and delicious. Talking of FandT; its a sad fact we have no idea what the originals were like. Even when Fribourgs was still a company, as opposed to a WoS brand, they admitted the originals were lost to history. I just wonder if in some attic somewhere there is a last bottle waiting to be found…

Due to this thread I ordered 10 gs from Mr Snuff with some other things. This is better when aired properly to yield its over the top scent. The forals, including some F&Ts seemed much more floral years ago I when I tried them, but this might be just anno domisnout.

The fanciful association between the Jockey Club and the snuff bearing the name is described by the perfumer A. Ellis in ‘Essence of Beauty’. The passage is quoted on page 43 of ‘Snuff Yesterday and Today’ by C.W Shepherd.

The other day I was in a hurry and forgot my various smashboxes when I left the house. Thankfully there was some Jockey Club and L260 in my desk draw at work. I mixed them together, 50:50. 'Twas unusual, but quite pleasant, and something I would actually repeat. I find both of them a bit overpowering when taken straight.

1 Like

@TheBoggart - That could certainly be an interesting mix, I’ll give that a go sometime. I’m fairly new to mixing (hence my thread a couple of months ago asking about it) but I like both Jockey Club and Hedges L260, so together they could form a nice nasal adventure or something. I’ve mixed Hedges with others but haven’t mixed JC with anything yet.

Am I wrong in suggesting that Poeschl’s Packard Club is their own version of Jockey Club - and hence akin to a 50:50 JC/L260 mixture?

Packard’s Club is more bergamot or lemon scented, and already mentholated. Jockey Club is very floral.

WoS Jockey Club is one of the few snuffs I’ve tried that really didn’t suit me. Yes, it’s abundantly floral, but there’s no harmony between the various ingredients – it’s one big discordant clash, IMO.