Tin Corrosion

Poschl taps are not an issue since Poschl uses oil not water.

Thats true! I think my cold has gone to my head, lol.

I ought to mention that the worst WoS tin is one thousand times better than any tap box. The tap box is evil. I hate it hate it HATE IT! I despise tap boxes so much that I will not buy any snuff that comes in them. Well, I make an exception for De Kralingse (and the first thing I do is dump them into a proper glass container or reused F&T canister, then happily toss that tap box into the recycle bin). I’d prefer that De Kralingse packaged their snuff in a rusty WoS tin, *anything* but those evil tap boxes.

Xander is correct. It’s only the moist snuffs. Wish Wilsons would address this problem. All snuff at NicotineRush is stored in a humidity/temp controlled environment and turnover is rather quick.

I am about to embark upon a big undertaking of putting all of my snuffs into new containers. Ugh…

Toque tins crush like aluminum cans. tap boxes i put into smash boxes, unless i don’t take them very much and then i’m fine with keeping them there.

Saw similar with the WoS Brunswick. Not as advanced as what you describe Jack but bad enough. I see a brisk future in smash box sales! (-;

I have four 10 g tins of Wilson’s Brunswick that I have yet to open. I can just transfer the contents to baby food jars, so it’s no big deal, but I would have left them in the tins had I not known about this problem, and then the stuff might have been ruined. Aside from Best Dark and Burgundy mentioned above, are there any specific snuffs that anyone is aware of with significant corossion potential problems? Tom said “the moist ones” above, but not having tried everything yet, there are certain snuffs that I’m not sure are moist or not.

Princes is the one that gave Jack trouble. Prime Minister might be a little moist. I don’t know much about their menthols.

“WoS are my favorite snuffs, but their tins truly are the worst. They do seem to rust very easily.” The tins by Wilsons of Sharrow are made by the same company (Metal Closures, Huddersfield) that also provide the vacuum sealed tins used by J&H Wilsons, Hedges, Tranters and other snuff manufacturers. They also provide the containers for the Fribourg & Treyer range. No snuff manufacturer in the UK manufacture their own tins as well. Unfortunately tins may be years old which, in the case of moist snuff , corrodes the tin quite badly.

1 Like

I love the Brunswick snuff and have ordered it three times already. I empty it out the day I receive it and put it in a glass jar. The tins are always a little corroded on the bottom.

@PhilipS: I never assumed that WoS or any other snuffmill manufactured their own tins. That would be silly. My point was that the J&H Wilsons and F&T containers are of a higher quality than the ones WoS uses for their namesake brand.

It happens, especially with the WoS type cans. Don’t use it and ask for a refund, there is usually no problem. We had the same thing lasy year with some FandT can,

WoS still have 531,678,908 of those silly tins in stock. You will just have to live with it.

I opened up my cans of Wilson’s Brunswick yesterday to empty them into another container, and while they were slightly difficult to open, I saw no evidence of corrosion in my case.

I haven’t any problems with Wilsons of S. tins or any other tins this far. Actually I recycle empty tins all the time, prefer them to tap boxes.

Just had to throw 2 Frederick Tranter tins away, the Princes and the Burgundy, both being very moist snuffs. What a shame. It can´t be repeated often enough, use those WoS, M&W, Tranter (all the same tins) moister snuffs up soon, or refill them. These 2 tins were so heavily corroded, they might as well pass through as modern art pieces.

How do you avoid this? Would keeping it in airtight (or somewhat airtight) containers help? Would it then store for years in a dark place?

@newbiesnuffer It’s only certain snuffs that have this effect - they tend to be both heavily scented and moist. If you open everything and check it when you get it, and decant anything in that category into glass jars you should be fine. Plastic containers would work too, but they are not as reliably airtight.

It’s like playing the lottery ordering F&T Princes, WoS Best Dark & most recently WoS Dynamite. I’ve thrown out a 25g F&T, 5 and 10g Best Dark and begrudgingly spooned out the middle of the Dynamite. All three have in common that they are dark