What did you smoke?

If I was buying ready made fags it was either Marlboro Red or Richmond Menthol, then I switched to RYO and smoked Amber Leaf or Golden Virginia with the odd pack of Old Holborn chucked in for good measure. I liked to smoke with Swan menthol filters and Rizla liqourice papers. It was like smoking a humbug lol. Now I just smoke my pipe with SG’s 1792 flake being my go to. Stefan

@Nachman: I would occasionally roll Prince Albert as well. Ten times better than factory-made cigarettes and about 1/5 the price.

Amber leaf,Drum blue,or as a treat American spirit yellow,all ryo.Ready mades Dunhill or Luckies.Pipe,mainly Viginia tobacco,Rattrays,or Orlik Bulls eye.

I smoked Drum all the time until the Republic Tobacco Drum became the norm. After I couldn’t get that, I just bought whatever full flavored RYO was on sale, and blank tubes. Every now and then I’d grab a tin of Three Castles for a treat.

I must say I was never a “regular” smoker as I always preferred dip. But I smoked at parties and bars when I was drinking and socializing. Back in high school I began with the occasional Marlboro light, but quickly moved on to Kool’s. It wasn’t that I particularly liked them, but when everyone is bumming cigarettes at a party, smoking Kool’s is a good way to ensure you don’t run out.

Any roll your own. My favorite was three castles when I could find it. Mainly american spirits where my rolling tobacoo of choice.

Cutters’ Choice RYO tobacco. Cheapest in South London, unavailable outside the UK. I always said that if they stopped making it I’d stop smoking. Well, I’ve cut down to virtually no smoking now due to snus and snuff, but still have some CC around the house for ‘herbal embellishment’.

^ Cutter’s Choice is available in Ireland as well. Or was, now smokes are hidden under the counter except tobacco shops.

when i lived in ireland ( north ) usually john player special black jps here in america winston for a few years now american spirit blue still smoke btw

I started on Benson and Hedges then moved on to Camel or Lucky Strike unfiltered. I had a bit of a ‘‘wacky’’ phase when I smoked Death cigarettes for a while as I thought the skull on the packet looked kind of cool and matched the Zippo I was using at the time. For a treat I’d buy the occasional box of Sobranie Black Russian or Rameses Egyptian. I moved back to Camel again but went for lights that time around. I then moved on to RYO, Old Holborn with licorice papers and stuck with that for a very long time. I started using Kendal flavoured RYO towards the end of my smoking career favouring black cherry and always with licorice papers. I miss that a great deal, more than snuff in many ways, as the scent was glorious. Still, I love my snus!

It was Camel Lights for me the whole time for the better part of 15 years I’d say. I tried so many even when traveling and I don’t think that I enjoyed anything enough to overtake Camel Lights. Talk about walkin’ a mile for a Camel…I certainly would’ve. I had one again on Christmas night with my brother but it was a Camel Filter and the taste was fantastic, but the body feel was horrid. I don’t think my body can take them anymore. I’m happy about that too.

Wana know why my heart is failing??? Starting out between 13-18 years old smoking Pall Mall and kool unfiltered. That alone should have killed me. Then between 18 to 21 years I smoked several brands, Taryton, Parliment, Kent and even tried to cut back with Carlton. Then I went to Kool kings for about 20 years untill I was about 40 then switched to Camel menthol for about 8 years. Cigs got too expensive so I RYO with the machine and tubes for a few years. I used Kite menthol [still have a million packs of Bugler rolling papers left that came with the Kite]. Then for a few years I smoked some offbeat brand that PM made called Alpine Menthol that was freaking great, high nic, cheap, and tasted great [God I loved em]. Then I quit…untill I started smoking Swisher Sweets Slims. I like sweet so I smoked them for several years untill I just HAD to quit because I couldn’t afford the high health insurance costs. Spent several years nic free and finally surcumed to snus. The insurance co only asked if I smoked so I figure snus is ok. Now I have a real snus habit with snuff as a kicker several times in the evenings as a treat. The snus is easy to quit compared to cigs. I simply can’t smoke a single Kool King or Camel menthol or I will be back at them again. However, I can smoke one cig of any other brand and end up tossing it before its finished. I do that about once a month. Whereas I used to smoke about 2 packs daily. gee I never had to figure out all that before. I can’t imagine how much $ I’ve spent on tobacco so far. Oh!! There was a 2 1/2 year period about 8 years ago that I smoked mostly cubans. I went there 12 times for “business”. I always brought back 8 boxes each time I came home. Which is why I have so many for sale. I don’t smoke em anymore. The only thing I smoke now is ham…and the ocassional herb.

I remember Alpines. They were good cigarettes. If they were still made, I would have continued to smoke menthols.

Premium Parrots “The snus is easy to quit compared to cigs” I honestly believe this is 100% proof that smokers have a nicotine addiction and a chemical addiction. It’s the combination of both that makes it almost impossible getting off them sometimes.

[quote][color=#FF0000]“I honestly believe this is 100% proof that smokers have a nicotine addiction and a chemical addiction. It’s the combination of both that makes it almost impossible getting off them sometimes.”[/color][/quote] In addition to the need for nicotine, cigarette smokers have a carbon monoxide addiction. It’s true. I realized that I may as well have been sucking on a car’s tailpipe every morning.

Smoking is so expensive in the UK so i only smoked tobacco i could get cheap - amber leaf, bayside, drum, golden virginia Now though i snuff like a king instead of smoking like a pauper. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

“Now though i snuff like a king instead of smoking like a pauper” @Stu Now that is a well phrased sentiment!

Started on Lucky Strikes, then when they dried up, Pall Mall unfiltered until they were stale half the time, then Camel unfiltered until I became self-conscious about tar stains on my teeth, then Camel filtered until I stopped. I wouldn’t touch a menthol cigarette, even when desperate. I’d literally walk a mile for a Camel. Usually a carton buyer, I made sure I didn’t have less than a carton in rotation on hand. If I couldn’t get Camels for some odd reason (sold out), a pack of Winstons would have to do until I could get to civilization. Never crossed my mind to roll my own, sounds like I missed something.

Oh man, I’ve smoked so many cigs, I could not hope to account for them all. My first cig was from a half-pack of Bel-Air’s I found in my uncle’s garage in HI. Man, did I get a buzz. I started on Marlborough reds. Must have had 10000 of them. Then Kools, M-lights, Newports, Camel lights, Camel straights, lucky strikes, parliaments, craven a’s, back to M-lights. Tried many of the off-brands, but always seemed to get back to the reds. The longest time I’ve been nic-free was about 3 years. Snuff and snus rock, but I still like my pipe for really relaxing. Or a hookah, or even a cigar. I’ll do a roll-up once in a while. I was in a cigar kick several years back, and it was getting expensive. On the whole, snuff is the most economical and I really enjoy it, but I like more sometimes, as my nose can only handle so much for so long, without a break. Wish I’d known about snuff about 35 years ago!