What did you smoke?

When I was a regular smoker, Samson Halfzwaar Shag was my choice for a long time. Factory-made cigarettes were a treat; Pall Mall plain and Peter I, Russian cigs, were my favourites along with John Player blue. Don’t actually miss them.

Malboro Light, parliament lights, kamel red lighs and RYO like Three Sails from D&R.

Old Holborn first and the Blue Drum rolling tobacco. Didn’t like factory made cigarettes.

1 Like

I always rolled my own. For a long time I bought American Spirit Royal Blue tobacco. For the last couple years of my smoking I switched to Peter Stokkebye Norwegian Shag, which was truly an excellent smoke.

1 Like

top regular

Seems we are all roll-your-own-ex-smokers here this far. Somehow that’s not so surprising.

amber leaf and b&h rolling tobacco samples befor it was avaliable to buy ,

Marlboro light. It seems to me that Americans are less likely to smoke ryo’s than people from other countries.

Parliament Lights and Camel Lights at the end. Marlboro Lights here and there.

Lucky Strike, Camel Filters, Camel Non-filters, Drum RYO, Bugler RYO, Buck (a brand about 15 years ago, that sold for a dollar–go figure), Pyramid (another brand I remember getting for roughly 70-80 cents a pack, and they were decent too.) Raleigh full flavor,with the worthless coupons that came in the packs. I remember hearing my Dad tell of his Dad getting a pack of Luckies and there being change in the cellophane of the pack. Maybe some old timers remember this?

Old Holborn first, about 1 year. Then 25 years with golden virginia tobacco, and maybe 5 years with drum tobacco

Got my start smoking Newports as a kid, smoked Marlboros for about 10 years, mail-ordered Gauloises, Swiss Marlboros, MS Filtros and Davidoff Magnums from Yesmoke while I could get away with it (the BATF put the kibosh on that), then RYO’d American Spirit (green tin) in Twister tubes for about 3 years. SCHIP put a dent in that, and when my daughter was born this past May I cut way down again. Lo and behold, I read about the resurgence of snuff in a Wired Magazine article, decided to take the plunge. Now my wife and I keep a pack of nonfiltered American Spirits around the house, we smoke maybe 1 a day and that’s fine by me…

Camel and Pall Mall, straights at first, then filtered. RYO for the last 10 years prior to quitting altogether.

I started smoking with Westminister 85’s and then switched to Lucky Strikes (plain). After about 5 years I switched to Texan plain, Gunston plain, Chesterfield plain and filter. I also smoked Camel plain on and off. For the last 3 years of my smoking career, I smoked Marlboro Red packet and then Lights. This made me cough to such an extend that I eventually stopped smoking all together. The nicest cigarette I ever smoked was Yanks plain. The tobacco was yellow, like honey, and it was a sweet cigarette. Strong but so nice. I smoked pipes and cigars as well. Used to mix my own pipe tobacco. Can’t remember the names any more.

Camel Natural Flavor in the end, Lucky Strike before that. My self rolled looked so crappy that I stopped making them myself.

Started with Newports in 7th/8th grade, tried a pipe while I was in college and stayed with the Newports as a 1-2 pack/week smoker until a year or so after I enlisted. Quite for about 2 years. Started up again during Gulf War 1 with Lucky Strike, Camel Filters, Camel Non-filters, Pall-Mall non-filters and graduated to a 1-2 pack-a-day smoker during the last year my enlistment. Swiched to grocery-store Drum RYO after I got out and eventually weaned myself off cigs after 1-2 years. Picked up cigars after a couple years of being off cigs, but after our first child, I dropped to only a couple a month and now that we have a second child it seems to be one or two every couple months.

I started with Friends tobacco RYO because it was 10 cents a pouch. Tailor mades were a quarter. Then rolled Prince Albert. Eventually changed to cigars and later added pipes and snuff.

If I was buying ready made fags it was either Marlboro Red or Richmond Menthol, then I switched to RYO and smoked Amber Leaf or Golden Virginia with the odd pack of Old Holborn chucked in for good measure. I liked to smoke with Swan menthol filters and Rizla liqourice papers. It was like smoking a humbug lol. Now I just smoke my pipe with SG’s 1792 flake being my go to. Stefan

@Nachman: I would occasionally roll Prince Albert as well. Ten times better than factory-made cigarettes and about 1/5 the price.

Amber leaf,Drum blue,or as a treat American spirit yellow,all ryo.Ready mades Dunhill or Luckies.Pipe,mainly Viginia tobacco,Rattrays,or Orlik Bulls eye.