Making a moist snus or snuff with dry tobacco ? Help !

I want to make a moist snus/snuff what will stick together when I pinch it. Anyone got ideas on how I could get a dry tobacco to be nice and moist? Thanks, Matt.

Here is a snuff recipe I got from snuffgriner. Arvid’s Snuff Recipe Its near the bottom of the page.

I’ve recorded the results of my experiments with this recipe on the Snufftalk board Snuff Making forum. The last batch I made turned out pretty good. The soda needs to to be reduced by at least one half and maybe more salt. There’s a transcription of the original recipe as well. Homemade Dip

Try a half cup of ground tobacco. Take 1 teaspoon of honey, molasses, or syrup and add a large pinch each of uniodized salt and sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). Dissolve this in just enough hot liquid (tea or coffee is fine) to liquify the sweetener and stir it thououghly into the tobacco. Bake the mixture in a nonreactive baking dish covered in foil for 45 minutes in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F. Remove the foil after baking and let cool. You make need to redry it to the proper moisture level. If you want a liquor flavored dip, leave off the foil. Just add a sufficient quantity of your favorite hooch after it cools. A pinch of your favorite spices added to the liquid makes a nice touch. I use tea masala in mine. Best of luck.

For all you snuff makers and blenders out there, Mcgahey’s sells single tonquin beans. These were/are used to flavour the more traditional types of scented snuff - G Smiths used to sell a tonquin snuff and a lot of their snuffs had it in. Not sure about now, their range is much smaller than when I first visited the shop over 20 years ago (I live about an hour away) It was also custom to carry a tonquin bean in your snuff box or to put one into snuff that had gone stale to refresh it. Not tried it myself, but if anyone has I’d be interested to hear…

Love old stories from 20 years ago (I was nine then)

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Time does fly. Though fortunately snuff is still going good.

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Be carefull to not tread in spam territory. Give a proper introduction, and join in the conversations.

wow i made this topic a while ago… O_O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

With ryo, i have always just put distilled water on a towel ,stored towel in tub with my tobaccy and it would be decent again in about an hour…will this work with snuff?

Snuff’s a little trickier. You’ll need to stir it up a time or two to distribute the moisture and it might take longer. Your snuff will clump if it dries out any. If this happen, sift out the lumps, crush them and remix with the rest of the snuff.