J and H wilsons SP No 1

This is one of my favorite snuffs. I keep at least 100 - 200g around.

It really doesn’t have any citrus or lavender, maybe a tiny bergamot. It does have a nice peaty tobacco smell though and some nice nose burn.

@jarhog – texas?! whereabouts im over in ebtween san marcos and san antonio, in that little german town along 35 :wink:

The 25g tin is way better than the little blue box, it was rather hard to open 2 American quarters didn’t get it opened but the blunt side of a rather large knife worked well. This is so good. I really like the smokeyish flavor it gives off a great all day snuff, not overly complex but still really good to get in the nose and go. Are these vacuum packed or just pressed on very fresh tin, but then I did get it from tom.

I must have strange tastes because when I first opened my 25g tin, I got cocoa and ammonia smells and I just hated it. I have aired it for a couple of weeks now and think it is improving. I’m not sure vacuum packing has helped really. I will re-review it soon.

SP No1 ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1YKntWoXvI&NR=1

I got a big tin of SP No 1 today, and this is another nice J&H Wilson snuff (along with the great Medicated no99), IMO. At this stage I would say I prefer the Medicated no99, as menthols are generally more my cup of tea, but this is still good. Other peeps have said that this snuff has a chocolate aroma, but I’m not getting that at all, at least not so far.

I found it takes a long time to air out, nice stuff once it does.

Has anyone bought this recently in the tap tin? Just wondering about freshness…

I just got a few of the SP No1 tap tins, and the one I just cracked open seems really dry compared to the 20g tin. Like Garrett Scotch dry. It has lost any trace of the bergamot, and I am getting a sort of baby powder hit off of it. I am going to try and rehydrate and see if that saves it.

That is depressing to hear…

That should be expected of any tap tin, unfortunately. Any exceptions are luuucky

The Germans taps always seemed alright to me…

Most of those snuffs are oiled (mineral oil, paraffin) which keeps the snuff moist. They still lose water, volatiles/aromatics, and can get scent contaminated. When I compared the 25g sachet of Poschl Original to the 10g tap boxes of Poschl Original around the house I found the airtight sachet snuff more aromatic and even with a hint of fruit. The oil keeps the snuff though from falling below a tolerable moisture level for a long time even in the tap box. Eventually (such as with the old stock Poschl and Sternecker smalzlers) the dry oiled snuff starts to feel gritty between my fingers, but still easy to take!)

2 Likes

I can see all that yet I am still attracted to buying those tap boxes perhaps out of convenience or laziness… the silver dollar dispensers are awful though.

The J&H Wilsons tap tins are identical to the Silver Dollar ones… I was pretty disappointed when I discovered this, as I was under the impression that they came in the blue square tins.  I don’t mind the Poschl tap boxes so much(would rather have a plain sealed tin still), but I really hate those twist tap tins.

Oh crap, that really sucks…Mr Snuff should update the photos on their site as I would not of ordered one if I knew that.

P1030083

I really hate those and it certainly dries out the snuff, oh well…

@snuffandsympathy, I was presented three tap tins of JHW SP No.few months ago, bought at some tobacconist in South England. Unfortunately, all were dried out. I opened them, all three were half-full only (3/5-full). Weighed the snuff, there were only 4 g per tin. Original moisture content being app. 20%, they were bone-dry in there. I rehydrated one tin, added some menthol and eucalyptus oil, making the texture right, but still there was a feeling of old snuff (no ammonia, mild nic).

Rectangular tins were always full, despite of coming fully dried-out as well. Those were followed by current WoS-type 5 g tins, but I believe the recipe was changed back then. It’s not the same snuff anymore. In all fairness, I find the current JHW SP No.1 more palatable in bone-dry state than the one in small rectangular boxes.

1 Like