What do you play?

All this guitar talk and only one photo!?! I love looking at old guitars. Come on lets see em. :wink: 64 SG mint 65 Hagstrom 12 string mint older/never used Dean 12 string Banjo Les Paul copy new but I mostly play with myself…

Wow, lots of guitar players here. I play an old electric Guild M75cs that I got for my 10th birthday (back in 1976) and a few Yamaha acoustics my favorite is a beat up FG-75. In the last 10 years I started playing ukulele , I seem to play UKE’s much more than I do guitars.

30 years of playing, full time in the 80’s. More or less retired from performance now although the odd gig comes up from time to time (my last doing a favour for a mate and playing in a church service!) I play a blues based lead style. I’ve never collected guitars, but owned and got rid of plenty. Now it’s just my trusty old strat that Ive had for years and a beat up Marshall thats had plenty of beer spilled on it.

@ PremiumParrots That is true ! I will have to get a few photos on here as I hope others will too!

Played the piano professionally until, many years ago, focal dystonia ended my career. Much time spent at a neurological clinic in Hannover (where they pioneer a technique for re-mapping digital representation in the somatosensory cortex) together with injections of botulinum toxin into the FPL muscle has allowed me to play works of moderate difficulty, but not to a professional standard. Last professional engagement played three movements from Stravinsky’s Petrouchka, Klavierstück X by Karlheinz Stockhausen and the opus 25 set of études by Chopin. Most repertory focussed on Rachmaninoff Balakirev , Liszt, Chopin and the avant-garde. These days I attempt to play much less demanding music by Soler, Scarlatti and other pieces originally written for the harpsichord on an adapted piano. Considering I was told by more than one neurologist it was probable I would never play again (a simple scale over one octave with my crippled right hand became impossible to execute) the partial recovery has been a blessing. Diagnoses of focal or occupational dystonia amongst musicians, although still rare, is no longer the risk of the professional, and is steadily increasing amongst amateurs as more and more people play an instrument to high standards. Also increasing are the much less serious mechanical complaints such as carpal tunnel syndrome and De Quervain’s tenosynovitis. All of these are associated with overuse. So, all you musicians out there, take care.

Ive got a gibson SG faded, its he older model when they used crescent moons for fret inlays. Ive also got an EXP-LTD-EX400 with black diamond plate on it. I have an Epiphone SG somewhere, I think I friend has it. I also have an ibanez acoustic and a cheap mandolin. I play heavy metal and classical music. Funny you mention that, I also have carpal tunnel. The doc said it was from playing guitar, computer games, and masterbating extreme amounts daily (joking).

The best Christmas song ever is by “The Happy Flowers”.

What are the symptoms of carpal tunnel? I can certainly play for less time than I could a few years ago, now I get a sort of cramping feeling in my right hand. Also playing fast pieces I get the same type of thing on my right - even using a proper relaxed technique (ie I know how to play). Its not that much of a problem as perfromance, for me, is mostly finished, but I still practice and it can get annoying.

@ snuffster, Nigel there is quiet a lot on the internet if you google. I just found this for you carpal tunnel

Thanks so much for that John, well I’ve read it and diagnosed myself as having a mild case of it. Something to watch for sure. In my case it’s only evident when I play so now I know that decent rests are good for it and I’m not playing every night as I once was.

I’m not a musician but I thought I had it. With me it’s cramp from time to time. I can wrap my fingers round a drinking glass and then have to force it free with my other hand! Not funny when it happens in public.

Maybe its our age my friend, next milestone bitrhday is the big 50 for me. I know full well I shouldn’t (and my wife beats me up when I moan because she will hit it some months after me) but I can’t help dreading it! Five years to prepare mentally…

Snuffster, you’re a young cat. I turned 56 last July and THAT was a trip. Sliding into 60. OH shit. On the upside, ten years ago there was no YOutube and I’m haveing a lot of fun with some of the guitar and bass instruction vids people have been kind enough to post. It’s the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have learned a lot from them. And when I start to feel too cocky I can watch a 12 year old girl or a one armed bass player put me to shame.

Lol, not been called young for a while! Youtube can be inspirational or sould destroying regarding musical abiltiy. There’s a ukelele player who makes better guitar music than I do and he looks about 15 as well!

well, i try and generally fail to play bass. ont he otehr hand i worked in as tudio for a couple of yeas and am pretty good at editing/compiling songs. i help out my freinds who are in bands witht hat stuff. btw, if anyone wants a hand with that shoot me a pm or something and i can see what i can do. :slight_smile: its great work when you can get it. (its better when yuo get paid for it LOL)

what kind of hats have you got?

The only marks on this guitar I can find are Five Star and made in the USA. I’m guessing it’s a Harmony made out of Chicago. It actually has as good a tone as some more expensive guitars I’ve played. The accordian also has no name but what resembles a Cadillac emblem-(possibly a consolation gift to Cadillac owners in the 1950’s when they purchased a new car? LOL,I may never know…)