Toque - Berwick Brown

It’s chuffin’ marvellous!

While I am not one to review a snuff, do to my new to it status, the Berwick just brings a smile to my face every sniff, so moist, easy to take, and downright refreshing!

You don’t need to have been snuffin for ages to do a review Kevin, all opinions are just as valid so by all means put one in if you feel like it.

The reviews can also be edited to reflect a new or more sophisticated opinion, so newbies should not hesitate to review what they already know.

We all see you experts doing nuanced reviews and it makes us lesser mortals doubt our nose sensitivity. I don’t do reviews as I suck at picking out the subtle scents in snuffs. Sometimes I don’t even know what I am smelling. I really couldn’t tell you the difference between Geranium and Violet, or Virginia tobacco and Carolina.I just know that I like something and that makes for short reviews.

Well,I don’t consider myself an expert and sometimes I really doubt if I’ve said anything of any value in my reviews, but it’s fun doing them. If you actually would like to publsih a review and are not doing so just because you don’t think you have a good nose, I would still say do one. Apart from the fact that your capacity to detect different flavours increases with time, a short review with what you honestly feel is still worth reading in my book. Give it a go, you might surprise yourself and don’t worry if other members seem to be ‘experts’ its just about having fun!

Ah bloody hell, NO Berwick Brown for me yet, why must I wait so long?! Received my snus order but I have enough snus, I want my BB

Thanks for the encouragement Snuffster, I have read reviews from day one of my snuffing, and over time I get a feel for which posters nose is closer to my own. Of course my first snuff was Navy Scotch, and after a huge snort, I thought all you guys were demented! And although I was probably right, I have persevered. You have a good point, I do know what I like, and in the case of Berwick Brown, love. It just how to convey that to others, it takes time. I am somewhat like bigmick, once I hear germanium, I go of course, before then I just get muddled. Takes time, I have about 80 snuffs now, and three favorites, all I know is that many new favorites exist in that box, and time will tell. This is a great hobby though. It is some what of a shame that my most intriguing questions about snuff, are considered guarded secrets of the masters. Sorting, cleaning, essential oils, PH, stability, oh the questions I would like to ask!

No problem, just pick a favourite and write from the heart (or nose) and let’s see the results. Nice point about the guarded secrets. I never shy away from asking what I want as I am just a consumer who spends some of his hard earned money on their products, in my view I can ask what I like - getting an answer is another matter! To be fair the manufacturers are not about to start giving away the secrets of their livelyhood to competitors, but you do glean the odd bit of information from time to time. My advice is ask away!

@ Kevin: I’ve been snuffing now for more than 2 years and I have over 200 different snuffs. But I still can’t tell what’s in a snuff. What I can tell is when I like it. I’m not worried about what’s in it, as long as I like it I’ll stick it up my nose (even if it’s cow dung). I trust the manufacturers won’t put something in there that will kill me. If they do, they will lose a very loyal customer.

Be strong Pieter!

Pieter, you are an interesting one, I have been shoving NTSU up my nose wondering if you are secretly just sitting there laughing your arse off at the very thought! I am still wondering about the cow dung reference, but I am one to talk, you would not believe what we tend to drink out of glass canning jars here in the Appalachian wilderness, I cannot begin to tell you exactly what I am tasting, but I know what I like!!! Enjoy!

Good one this. The grind is a bit inconsistent (there are some very chunky bits in my tin), but the flavour falls between the F&T’s KB and the Kendal KB examples. Violet, geranium and citrus and easy on the nose. Very good and I think I prefer Berwick Brown to any Kendal Browns available.

The user and all related content has been deleted.

How does it compare to Gawith Hoggarth Kendal Brown. Is it a more natural tobacco taste or more on the perfume side like say F&T’s KB?

It’s probably “on par” with GH’s Kendal Brown in terms of how much perfume there is. It’s nothing like the, frankly quite offensive, F&T version.

Thanks Spam. Thats good to hear. F&T is quite over the top

It is not like the Gawith Hoggarth KB in my opinion (not as leathery and hardcore!). From what my nose tells me, Berwick Brown is flavoured with violet, geranium and citrus, like the F&T version, but less pungent. It is very good, but it isn’t the same as Samuel Gawith Original KB or the GH version. I would say it is somewhere in between the F&T/ Wilsons floral affair and the Kendal versions. I do recommend it.

Going out on a limb here, I think its less like any of the KBs in flavor and maybe more like F&T Princes Special or perhaps a Wilsons moist variety. Can’t quite put my finger on it. It is like the tradtional KBs in grind/moisture though. Comparisons notwithstanding, its a top notch, first class snuff. Hats (and toques) off to Roderick, I think this really is his masterpiece.

along Xander’s lines of thinking - I thought it had a scent pretty similar (but not identical) to WoS Brunswick - but not as moist, and with the different tobacco base. I wonder if we’ll see a natural version of this tobacco at some point too. I still love this stuff - trying to pace myself through my little tin.