OT- Whatcha Watching?

Me? Glad you asked.47 Ronin, part 1.Released in japanese theatres one week before the attack on Pearl Harbor, a real piece of history; an historical drama intended for morale/propaganda purposes. The camera-work and cinematography are breath-taking. A great story, to boot. Saddest part of japanese history was the perversion of their noble culture and traditions by militarist propagandists. This is why one can enjoy the film as a work of art, and yet see the violence done to the culture to make it. A wistful, sad sort of pleasure.

Old Tom & Jerry reruns w/ my 3 & 5 year olds. This stuff still makes me chuckle.

1 Like

I haven’t seen or have 47 Ronin, but I do like, and have, alot of Japanese Samurai films. Yojimbo, Sanjuro, the Samurai Trilogy, etc., I also really like Zatoichi. What I watched, last night, was Tiger Joe, an Italian production from Margheriti, about these gun runners in wartorn Cambodia. It was decent.

Sky at Night on BBC4 with the great Sir Patrick Moore.

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Right now…Family Guy. Before that I was watching a Law & Order marathon, followed by a The Office marathon. Nice lazy day off of work. ~Ken

“Knocked Up” been a while since I’ve seen this one, but I love it.

We haven’t cable right now, but my wife got the entire “Charmed” collection…so I’ve been watching that for the past couple nights!

Today? Stayed at home with the apes, and so it was Spongebob all day long. Love that show.

Bang Goes the Theory from BBC. I always suck at science, but this show makes the subject super interesting and damn easy to understand. Schools all over the world should teach science like that~

@ituske: try “Nova Science Now” on PBS. Its a more teaching friendly show than the original “Nova”. I think its on tonight around here, actually!

“24” season 5. I’ve never watched it on TV, but a friend has been loaning me each of the seasons on disc. It’s way better to watch a few episodes uninterrupted by commercials and not have to wait a week to see what happens.

just finished watching metropolis. Great silent movie.

1 Like

@Xander: Yes, I watch Nova Science Now on PBS too, I also prefer the longer Nova , it’s more in depth and engaging to watch. Oh, God bless PBS, the beckon of hope for American TV. Now I am watching The Week We Went to War ep 2 from BBC 1.

I agree, snuffegnugen. Whatever TV shows I watch are on DVD. I can’t stand commercials. Anyone remember “Voyage of the Mimi” back in the day?

I’ve been watching The Violent Professionals, an Italian crime/action film from the 70’s. I love this genre.

Right this second I’m watching a rerun of Bonanza.

I was just about to say a huge pris of Skruf Stark and then i noticed it’s not the topic i thought it was. I quit watching TV 4 years ago due to all the stupid ads annoying me and the even dumber shows and news they throw on the tube here. So I’m with snuffegnugen and cstokes on this one. All hail uninterrupted 12 hour marathons of your favorite show :). I don’t have much time to watch things other then when I’m taking a day off of everything to do nothing else.

The HBO production of Fatherland , not as interesting as I expected it to be, and certianly inferior than the original novel.

I watched Codename: Wild Geese last night, an 80’s war/action flick with Lee Van Cleef, Ernest Borgnigne, and Klaus Kinski, directed by Margheriti, the guy who did the original Inglorious Bastards… no, I think I’m wrong there, it’s Castellari that did Bastards, but Margheriti has a great filmography as well.