Any Sam Gawith Fans?

No, please!!! Not that, anything but that! What cruelty! :'+(

Haha, it’s either waterboarding or Magnet Peach… take your pick!

Samuel Gawith offer more genuine variety than any other company, and has a pedigree almost as old as Wilsons of Sharrow. They offer some excellent and increasingly rare all-natural snuffs ranging in mill from the heavy London Brown or Black Rappee to superfine Irish - none of which are, perhaps, really suitable for the neophyte. Irish D(ry) Light, by the way, used to be sold at an inflated price by the original Fribourg & Treyer as their HDT before they went out of business in 1981. This is, in my opinion, superior to that now marketed by Wilsons under the same name. Original Kendal Brown still uses the same grind and recipe as Harrison’s 1792 creation, and is not to be confused with snuffs marketed by other companies under the non-proprietary name of Kendal Brown. This is the genuine product. The ‘unscented’ SPs are as good as they get. Some interestingly flavoured (and by no means unpleasant) gros snuffs are available such as Princes Dark, Cob Dark or Mastiff. Meanwhile, menthols, fruit flavoured and some heavily scented medium brown demigros snuffs - such as Otterhound -are also available for those who want them.

Thanks for chiming in, PhilipS. I recently got Smith’s Princes Dark. I thought it was wonderful, though a bit harder to get into the nose than the F&T Princes and Princes Special. This one did not like to be pinched, so a little spoon helped. It was certainly more gros than F&T. (can I say “more gros”) How does that compare to Samuel Gawith’s?

Im taking some SG Scotch Sp right now, any idea why its called Scotch? Is it toasted maybe?

I once got a sample of Magnet Peach sent to me from a fellow member in a small baggy. I hated it. Thought it was the worst ever, and actually dumped it after a few tries. Yet I was intrigued still, and read many glowing reviews. I finally got an unopened actual “tin”, and it was a totally different experience. This time is was very good. I now rate this as a very nice snuff, and the best SA snuff overall, with Singleton’s Menthol next. Oh, and my next order I am getting all 4 of the SG snuffs.

There are quite a few more than 4 SG’s. I think they have the highest number of blends.

Yes, I was referring to the 4 available from the US distros.

Love em’ they make a great snuff.

I have some SG Cob Dark up my nose now, my first try, and it went straight onto my favourites list!! Samuel Gawith make GOOD snuff

1 Like

Pieter, Cob Dark went onto my favorites list pretty quickly too. Just make sure you don’t let it get dried out, it’s just not the same that way.

They do make excellent snuffs. Princes Gold, Black Coffee, Golden Glow, Gold Mull, SP Scotch, SP High Mill No. 1 and an occasional pinch of Otterhound, are my favourites. Their Jockey Club should be approached with caution by the way.

I purchased a tin of SG Sp No1 High mill from the Northerner back in January. It was amongst the first batch of 10 snuffs I ever ordered because I was curious to try snuff and couldn’t find it locally. For me, it was an awful experience. It was so dry and fine, and had a very weird after taste. In hindsight, I think I might have gotten an old, out of date can. I wound up giving it away after giving it a fair number of tries. Unfortunately, it put me off this brand, and I never really considered sampling any of their other snuffs based on that one. Then I found the snuffhouse and found many people singing the praises of SG. So, I have decided to give them a second chance. I ordered a tin of the Dark COB with my order from the US snuff shop on Thursday. I don’t have it yet, but I look forward to giving SG another chance.

@ snuffegnugen: I think you must have gotten a rather old tin of SP No 1 High Mill, as, when fresh, the snuff is medium moist. It is quite fine, but in my experience the moisture allows it to be snuffed rather easily.

Sadly, some of the Sam Gawith blends do not “keep” well in tap boxes. I have had some from a few vendors which have been so dry as to have lost most of their character. HOWEVER, when stored correctly, some of the Sam Gawith snuffs are among the finest quality snuffs you will ever take. Black Coffee, for example, is easily the best coffee snuff I have ever tried, and among my all-time favourites (I now buy it in 250g drums). It is the same snuff that was, for many years, sold by G Smith’s on London’s Charing Cross Road as their “own brand” Café Royale. Indeed, lovers of the house blends from G Smith’s will find many are available, under slightly different names, from Gawith’s. Some of the Sam Gawith “fruit” blends are also beautiful - much more natural than some of the German products… SG Raspberry has the taste of real, wild raspberries to the point that it is almost thirst-quenching! Lovers of Irish [HDT] blends should try both Gawith’s Irish D Original and Irish D Light - the Light variety has to be one of the best ever. [Light in colour, but delivering a significant nicotine hit!]. The only other Irish I know of that compares with these two is Fribourg & Treyer’s HDT (which is also a “must” if you like the Irish style). If you have Gawith snuffs in tap boxes, these should be stored in humidor or refrigerator, ideally in sealed boxes (the tap boxes themselves do not offer a perfect seal!). If buying the tap boxes in England, Birmingham tobacconist John Hollingsworth in the Great Western Arcade keeps all his snuff to perfection - inside a large humidor. Has to be the best place for tap-box snuff in perfect condition.

Thread necromancy =)

I want to try a toast for my next go, but my first tin is 25g of SG Kendal Brown

I suppose that means i’m accustomed to a lot of nicotine and a moist snuff.  Other than that though, i would think that a toast would automatically mean that it’s a dry snuff; just based on my reading here on the fora

I thought either HDT or Irish D would work out.  Therefore i’ve no idea what i’m looking at

Cheers for any help

-Lance

Lance

you cant go wrong with Kendal Brown.

Toasts are, generally spoken, rather dry and rather fine grind. It is toasted tobacco with a great, unique taste - each of them. Some also say they are like dust.

For a first toast I would recommend Irish D Light by SG or Irish No. 22 by WoS. HDT has a rather strong taste that could eventually need more experience with this type of snuff. The aromas in there are a little complex. So I would try a toast with not that much compexity. 

Oh - BTW Toque Almond Toast could also do the deal.

2 Likes

Since that post I already went through a tin of Irish D, which is probably my favorite snuff thus far.  Luckily I have 2 more 25g tins on the way; they should be here any day now

I also have F&T HDT on the way and Toque Natural Toast.  I’ve read on here as well that IHT #22 is on its way out (no longer made) and that Irish D Light went out of production a few years ago

Thanks for your help

1 Like

SG Irish D Light is now just called Irish D, new laws prohibit naming tobacco products “light”.

2 Likes

I like SG snuffs. Especially Black Rappee and Irish D. I’m not too fond of their scented types, but they have their place.

1 Like