Indian Snuffs

This is very interesting Tom, how about some pics?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Now on to the 3rd can, the "Madras Snuff’, see above for full name/info. This is in the tall skinny can. If you ever get this one, be sure to open it over a piece of folded paper, and slide the large fallout into a smash box, I swear 5gs fell out of the lid of this one. Ok, I think the effects of the previous ones are about gone now, and my nose seems clear(enough). Comes in a metal round can, maybe 4in tall, and maybe 1.5in across. The weight listed is 50g. Color is a light brown. Also very caked solid, and had to scrape it, which it easily comes off in fine powder. This one was $2.29. Ok, now the spoon try. Hmm, a little nose burn. Tobacco flavor, strong, pleasant. I don’t detect any flavor additions. Just a nice tobacco aroma. Good linger. I’ll try another sniff. Yeah, not bad. Kinda reminds me of Toque Natural. Yeah, this one is a decent pure natural tobacco snuff. Not like a scotch or HDT. I like the aroma ones more, I think as I write this. But for a nice natural snuff, in the style of S’nuff, or Toque Natural, this isn’t bad. Well that’s my 3 I found today at the Indian store. These were the only ones they had too, I asked. A Natural, a Rose Floral, and a Medicated. 50g cans. $1.99, $2.29, and $2.99.

1 Like

I found this on that companies website: Himalaya Snuff The black coloured Himalaya Snuff is our prevalent product in India. Its tremendous retail sales, indicates that it has become India’s favourite and widely recognised brand. As the word Himalaya symbolises, this snuff gives a cool sensation and freshens up a worn-out consumer. The right composition of musk, menthol crystals and high quality tobacco, makes it a classic blend of snuff. Packing available: 10g, 25g, 50g, 200g, 500g and 1 Kg http://www.snuffindia.com/products.html#proda This is from the 5 Photo Snuff site, it also says: What is Snuff? Snuff is a hygienic preparation of tobacco with aromatics, perfumes and menthol. It is to be inhaled through nose.

1 Like

Very cool find. I would definitely be interested in finding an Indian market somewhere close by and searching for snuff. That would be quite an adventure. ~Snuffy

Nice find tom, will have to venture into an Indian store next time I find one. Great prices as well.

Here is a pic of the Indian snuffs I got today, with a few known snuffs for size comparison. The big round one is the Rose, the tall skinny is the Natural, and the square one is the Medicated.

Those are some pretty wicked looking tins! Thanks for posting the pic!

Great find Tom! I’ve been meaning to check out the local Indian market myself (Snuffy, as I’m not too far from you, I’ll post the names and addresses if I find anything). I was told by some Indians of two places to look, but they didn’t use snuff or Indian tobaccos themselves so they couldn’t be sure. I had heard of 5 Photo before. Tom, I imagine you have some good bargaining chips for trades now!

Pieter - interesting web site indiasnuff - but what nonsense you may read there: “Many European countries are promoting snuff in order to help people to shift from smoking to snuff-taking.” The situation is the EXACT opposite! Sweden can’t export to EU countries - Germany can’t export to EU countries. Snuff is not sold in several countries, including Denmark. Norway has a fair supply - but they are not in the EU! I have conducted a long correspondence with health organizations in Denmark advising to the Government - and all I ever heard was politically correct nonsense founded in total ignorance about snuff. They didn’t even know the difference between snus and snuff, and kept refering to research in chewing tobacco!!! Well, I just wrote to the Indian web site and asked them where on earth they got THAT idea from?

Now it seems that may be the actual case in New Zealand.

Apparently dip has overshadowed all forms of non-cigarrette tobacco to the extent that nobody in the medical or legal professions understands what snuff or snus are. Because of the bad reputation of dip for causing oral cancers (and I have no idea if that is even true, that is just the reputation!) they are painting snus and snuff with the same brush. I haven’t seen anyone point a finger directly at snus for a cancer link and certainly not snuff. If the accusations about dip are true I wonder why snus and dip seem to have different effects. Why is snus thought to be relatively harmless and dip accused of being so dangerous?

Snus is made in a totally different way, that’s why, and why you can swallow the juice, and you can’t with dip.

If that makes it safer then why don’t they change the way they make dip?

Hey thanks for posting this. Very interesting! Now I want to look for some Indian markets too. That would be cool to find some exotic snuffs.

Snuffbox- we should move this to the snus thread. But I know many people don’t like snus, and like dip. It is different.

fine by me!

The issue I have with these ‘unknown finds’ is that who knows WHAT is in the container, and therefore going up the nose. Third-world countries are not know for there adherence to quality control,or food and drug, standards and regulation, as recent problems with Chinese products support. I would trust ‘name brands’ such as Dholakia to be on par with European and Western standards, but these others I would be suspicious of. But, assuming tom502 has not yet expired since inhaling THESE snuffs, we can at the least presume that they don’t contain cyanide.

Well, if you read the Photo 5 Snuff website, which is were the awesomely great Himalaya Snuff is manufactured by, it’s been around a long time, and I would believe their quality control. I trust these snuffs fully. They are all very well made in my opinion. Now, I don’t think Dholakia is any “better”, they just use a more western package, to appeal to westerners more. But what’s in that package is what counts. If the Photo 5 Snuff site is correct, they have been arround since 1915, and the Himalayan Snuff is the most popular in India(and with good reason). And this store I went to, did not have any Dholakia. I think Dholakia just found a way to enter the western market, and went with it. And I do like their snuffs a whole lot myself.

This Himalaya Snuff is the best snuff I ever had.