OT: What Are You Reading?

Brisngr --Paolini Effective Speaking --course text

I’m currently Re-reading a short western by Louis Lamour.

I’m also reading ‘The Brief Wondrous Life Of Oscar Wao’ by Junot Diaz - great book; probably even better if I spoke Spanish, but what the hey.

Didn’t Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons write & draw a lot of the old Doctor Who comics in the '70s? I have a bunch of those.

I loved V for Vendetta. That’s what got me into Alan Moore a couple years ago. I’ve read the first volume of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and I liked it a lot. I’ll check out From Hell. Another comic I liked a lot was Y: The Last Man. Anyone read that?

I couldn’t agree more! Gibbons was very much a product of the “Enlightenment” period (what a mis-labelling of a period!) Typical Occidental and totally (I believe willfully also) ignorant of the Eastern Orthodox Empire. Anything pagan, anything Latin or ancient Greek would do for him as the standard of cultural measurement. Yes Galen was spectacular indeed. As a matter of fact, herbal medicine like Valerian and St. John’s Wort was known in Byzantium and before - and both are becoming increasingly popular.

And they did a mean flame thrower too…

I’m reading more Groo the Wanderer. (also listened to Rush, took snuff and had a lot of honey in my tea, bob. But I’m out of Tick comics to read)

ooh! Greekfire!

I just reserved a copy of “Battle Cry of Freedom” Watching “The Blue and The Grey” has put me in the mood.

The new Stoker’s Catalog

lol, nice

I hope I get the new catalog. I didnt order anything from the first two they sent me, but i was planning on it. I think some companies take you off their list if you don’t order anything. Not to say that stokers is like that. And I suppose its still a bit early. I just got done reading a book called Water for Elephants for lit class. Pretty good read. Next I’m gonna read The Nose by Nicoli Gogol. I was in San Francisco last week and our hotel was by the SF museum of modern art. An artist named William Kentridge had an exhibition and there was one really cool film piece based on The Nose. It was very cool. The Nose is on google books and only 40 pages or so, so what the hey.

David Gemmel, I currently have two of his set aside for a special occasions since I don’t want to finish them too fast.

Turns out there is a lot of mention of snuff in The Nose. "Should you care for a pinch of this? Snuff can dissipate both headache and low spirits. Nay, it is good for hemorrhoids as well.” hmm can’t find the insert link function http://h42day.100megsfree5.com/texts/russia/gogol/nose.html

I recieved the Winter catalog from Stokers last week. I flip through it almost daily. If I still dipped, I would pick up a tub of that pinching tobacco in the butternut flavor. So cheap, but probably better than anything I could get in a store.

I’ve just picked up Studs Terkel’s “Working”. Fascinating. It’s a collection of at least 120 interviews from the people that made up the american work force in the early 70s; old coal miner types, paperboys, stewardesses, cadillac salesmen, etc. Its amazing to see how nearly all the participants clearly and humorously percieve the inhumanity and meaninglessness of their bread and butter. I HIGHLY recommend this one.

cstokes4, the Stokers Loose Leaf chew is in my opinion the best available. The flavor is true & lasts a long time.

Just about to begin the complete poems of Garcia Lorca.

Re-reading David Copperfield, I had forgotten how many snuff mentions there were in that book. I know many consider him a bit too descriptive and wordy, but I do find once I get into any of his classics I have a hard time putting them down. He was one of the best as far as character development goes.