Otto Snuff Economy Bags and Additional Otto Questions

Ever since trying Chancellor, Glacier and Schmalzler I

Hi @Vaya… It has something to do with punctuation cutting off the rest of the message. Sorry I don’t know more, it doesn’t affect all devices so it never happened to me. Starting the same thread multiple times doesn’t help! Maybe type out the whole post on word or something then copy /paste it until you get it right. At least you don’t have to keep retyping the whole thing over and over.

1 Like

@Vaya, dont use the apostrophe.

2 Likes

Hey all. Thanks for the information regarding punctuation. I will do my best to avoid them because my phone autocorrects it! Anyway, ever since trying Chancellor, Glacier and Schmalzler I have been dying for the release of Otto snuffs in economy bags. Inadvertently I discovered they had been released and bought 50g each of CM, Glacier and Schmalzler and 100g of Chancellor. Im THRILLED to say the least, thank you Roderick! I have been storing each in 4 ounce mason jars in a cupboard. Does anyone have any information or tips on storing snuff of this type, oiled snuffs? While I believe Uncle Squinty has said that mentholated snuffs are more resistant to spoilage, im unsure of the shelf-life of its Schmalzler. Or other Schmalzlers.

1 Like

Additionally, I felt like there may have been some menthol transfer from the 50g bags of a Glacier, Chancellor and CM to the 50g bag of Schmalzler that was in the same package. Has anyone had this happen before? It was not necessarily unpleasant, but i did sort of wish the menthol would dissipate from the Schmalzler bag after some time, but no such luck LOL :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes there will be cross contamination of flavours during shipping if you order flavoured snuff in ecobags, only way to avoid this is to only order 1 ecobag at a time. Dont have this problem when ordering only plain snuffs because plain snuffs dont have any flavouring that can transfer to the other snuffs.

2 Likes

I learned my lesson, ordering economy bag of USA W&H and a tin of Natural Toast. NT was badly contaminated with the sweet W&H flavour. Mind you, it penetrated into the tin! The sweet flavour has dissipated only halfway through the tin.

It was hard to resist the temptation, but I ditched the idea of using “10 for 9” sample selection for the very same reason. “6 for 5” might be safe to go with the plain/almost plain selection (Natural Toast, Plain, Quit, Peanut Butter and Bourbon).

2 Likes

@Roderick is there any chance that you could give us the option of the bulk snuffs being packed in heavy zipper bags, what are sometimes referred to as smelly proof bags? Maybe just add a small charge to the bill?

4 Likes

Great! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, advice and discussion, all :slight_smile:

@Roderick, thank you for being open to the feedback and solid suggestions put forth by some of our peers in here. Ive always found the real time involvement and investment snuffmakers take in their products and customers to be paramount in the collaborative culture of snuff taking. One of the many reasons I felt so attracted to becoming part of the SnuffHouse community!

I want to reiterate how happy I am that the Otto line has been made available in economy bags, because each product is worthy of being procured in large quantities !

For the record, were Berwick Brown or Spanish Gem made in the oiled, flue cured Germanic style that Otto products espouse, I would be the happiest snuff taker on this rotating rocky orb we call home. Just saying… :wink:

4 Likes

Can anyone describe how Otto Schmalzler  (and in comparison to traditional germanic schmalzlers) and Otto Glacier is?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

@ALLex I will give it a try … Schmalzler is dark, high moisture, medium-coarse aged/sweated/fermented grind. Complex fruit bouquet to my nose - sometimes it’s apples others I think apricots or bubble gum. Very satisfying to the nose. Causes me significant drip. No medication. Glacier is moderately medicated, moderately moist & oiled, medium or medium-fine grind. Much easier for me to take than the Poschl Gawiths which always seem to irritate the front of my nose. Middle of the road satisfaction to my nose. I like both of them. The Schmalzler is the most unique of the two for me. @Roderick who named the new Otto snuff Red Rag? I can’t have a tin with that label in my house. It sounds disrespectful to my wife, daughter and mother. I don’t know what red rag means over on the Isle but here on the west side of the Atlantic that means a woman is menstruating.

3 Likes

@Roderick, this provocation idiom is known as “a red flag before a bull” in American English.

@ar47 Bullfighter’s “rag” actually is a short cape, used in the early stage of a bullfight to test the ferocity of a bull. It is called capote in Spanish (capote de brega), can be either red or magenta. Then, there’s a muleta - a stick with a red cloth attached to it, which is used in the last third of a bullfight; the use of muleta demonstrates bullfighter’s control over the bull. However, the red and magenta colors are used only for the spectators, as bulls are dichromatic. But yes, in many languages both capote and magenta are simply called a “rag”. Just a “red rag”.

“A red rag to a bull / a red flag before a bull - a willfully infuriating or aggravating provocation; something that incites great anger or annoyance. An allusion to matadors’ practice of waving red flags at a bull during a bullfight, though the color of the flag actually makes no difference to the animal” (from Farlex Dictionary of Idioms).

Now calling snuff a “Red Flag” would be equally bad (or even worse) idea - it has quite a few connotations: a flag of some totalitarian regimes, and the same meaning as mentioned by @ar47, to mention but a few.

Meaning aside, Red Rag sounds stronger than Red Cape (which in its turn is connotation-free, tho).

Why not renaming it a Torero (Bullfighter), Roderick? We have a Bull, and here comes a Bullfighter - Otto Torero!

It’s all about corrida.

P. S. Now imagine someone hearing this Q/A, when the context is not known:

• What’s in your nose, pal?
  • Some Red Rag.

:slight_smile:

5 Likes

@volunge for president!

5 Likes

@ar47 thanks a lot !

I think i am gravitating towards Otto Schmalzler and Red Rag!

5 Likes

Just got a 10g of the Schmalzler and it is just fantastic - will be ordered in an economy bag after we move next month.

5 Likes