Bidding farewell to vacuum sealed tins / Vikings now made (packed) by WoS?

Toque tins(10g) are my regular snuffboxes.

The best tins are the SWS aluminum ones!(15g)

3 Likes

@tobaccobob I agree, plus SWS dont tend to bend in some places like Toques. Must be made of thicker alloy or something

2 Likes

I just recieved an order including a Viking Blonde, Brown, Dark, and Thor’s Hammer and all were the vacuum sealed tins. That doesn’t mean the change isn’t coming…just that it hadn’t occurred as of my order. 

1 Like

@volunge RE:F&T I was referring to the vertical medium and large tins that Toque sells F&T in rather than the squat tins that WoS usually comes in. Which are you referring to? I’ve certainly had those corrode shut on me. Most any dark WoS/F&T I would love to get 50g versions of Thor’s hammer in the US

1 Like

@brandaves how is Thors Hammer compared to my favorite Viking Dark?

1 Like

@ar47 the tins I bought were the 25g tins. I decanted them into glass as soon as they arrived as I was afraid the moisture content might not be great for storing long term in the tins.

@ALLex to be honest I’ve only dipped into each of them once so I can’t really speak to how the flavor of the Thor’s Hammer compares to the Dark with any confidence. Give me a little bit with them and I’ll get back to you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@brandaves of course mate, take your time enjoy them and i will appreciate to tell me whenever you feel ready!

1 Like

I’m pretty sure Thors Hammer is just a 50/50 mix of Viking Dark and Viking Blonde.

@ALLex VD got a bit coarser grind than VTH, Also, There are some citrus/floral notes (Im not good at describing scents tbh) in Thor’s Hammer, but suprisingly good and mild. I think ammonia is a bit weaker than in VD. Its hard to tell which one is stronger in nic, but with Thor’s Hammer you wont be dissapointed - it deserves this name!

1 Like

@ar47, I was referring to vertical tins. I only had two of them in old days (2010-11), HDT and Santo Domingo. HDT tin was intact, but Santo Domingo corroded after six months and contaminated the snuff so bad I had to ditch it (half of the tin). I wanted to save the tin, but I didn’t manage to scrap off corrosion neatly. Here’s the image of only slightly corroded tin (not mine) - note those pale-yellowish “pimples” on the rim:

Santo Domingo

1 Like

@Johano Thanks mate, I ll definetely try some Thors Hammer

2 Likes

Curious case - just opened my vacuum sealed box for an already opened tin of Thors Hammer after dinner. To my surprise - I couldnt open the tin with bare hands !! Turns out the box (which I pumped out of air after placing in it) sucked the air in the tin and made it vac sealed AGAIN! :smiley:

2 Likes

@ALLex I’ve given both the Viking Dark and Thor’s Hammer a decent trial run and actually find them very similar. The Vitamin N in Thor’s Hammer is only slightly more by my gauge but the flavors are very similar to me. I’d wager if you are a fan of Viking Dark that you’ll likely enjoy Thor’s Hammer as well if you wouldn’t mind a slight bump in nic. I would recommend them both to friend. Each has a wonderful natural tobacco flavor which I enjoy.

2 Likes

@brandaves nicee

1 Like

Funny now WOS have started making a Kendal Brown again. Then viking coming in WOS tins. May be a bit of quid pro quo…?

1 Like

@beantin, I thought the same.

mysmokingshop.co.uk has just restocked on Kendal Brown Original and Celtic Talisman (or Firedance; I can’t recall which one of those two was missing there along with KBO for a good while…). Elmo’s still not there. I wonder which tins these come in now. And how does KBO compares to the new WoS Kendal Brown (side-by-side).

Someone somewhere (here or on Fb) has mentioned broken chain of vac tins supply; GH has switched to another type of containers for their pipe baccy. Could be related…

3 Likes

Anyone know a way to tell the difference from gawith made Thors Hammer and the current maker? Are all the gawith made vikings(in tin) that vac tins and any not in a vac tin the current maker or was there some overlap? I have a tin that I bought in 2020 that is a vac tin.

Easy to tell. Your vac tin is old Samuel Gawith, as the current production all come in the WoS slip tins.

Thank you Demigros. How does the current compare to the gawith made, if youve had both? Was planning on getting a 100gr tub. TIA

Well, it would depend on one’s expectations I suppose. In my opinion, the old SG-produced Vikings were much superior to what WoS now makes under the same names. They are actually rather different overall (some more than others).

However, at the same time the newer WoS versions are still all good, solid snuffs. I like most of them, and do not hesitate to keep them around and use them. If one had never had the originals, in fact, I imagine one would be quite satisfied with them. If one is looking for something on par to the old SG-production, disappointment is likely.

My perspective is that at least they are in production and available, which is better than nothing at all!

3 Likes