Best Material for Snuffbox?

I have a number of purpose built snuff boxes, ranging from papier mache to silver, but no matter how tight the seal, none seem to keep moist snuff for very long before I’m delicately sniffing salt pebbles. IMcChrystal’s goes in a dutch silver box which is good for perhaps three days before becoming mentholatum profundis. Prins Regent goes in a birchwood box and is unacceptable by the end of the day. Old Paris goes into a rosewood box of recent manufacture and is granular within a few hours. What am I doing wrong? There must be an elegant utility to be achieved.

I have a lot of snuff boxes I use 2 snuff boxes every day with 2 different snuffs and I realized that if I put in them snuff in the morning at the end of the day snuff is different and changed its aromas So I put in snuff boxes only a bit snuff and when I have finished it I recharge Snuff boxes no matter how tight is the seal are not meant to store snuff for a long time

2 Likes

As much as I love the idea of wood boxes, I generally find they’re just not really suitable… moisture takes a serious hit after only a couple hours. This has been an expensive lesson for me, though I’ve got a lot of nice wooden trinkets now :-b Some members have had success by using pipe wax, beeswax, etc. on the inside of their boxes to seal them up. A silver box that seals up well does seem the best way to do it, though even then I’d only count on a day’s amount of snuff at a time. 

3 Likes

Snuff boxes are meant to be filled every day. They are not for long term storage they are for daily use. You should only fill a snuff box with enough snuff to last you the day or it will dry out. Mason jars are for longterm storage.

3 Likes

Was there something I said that indicated I used a snuffbox for long term storage? @insufflemus, thanks for the tip. I tried out a silver box with Old Paris yesterday and it kept it in reasonable condition for about 8 hours. That

2 Likes

Is all I can expect. Will wax the rosewood box today and see what happens.

2 Likes

I have found I get OK longevity For me anyway… From the old James Dixon pewter boxes Depending on their condition - some people seem to have treasured them and some people have used them as artillery ammunition!

4 Likes

When it comes to boxes what ever the boxes are made from, I suggest a wax such as pipe wax, renaissance wax or bees wax (bees wax gives a scent) Waxing a wooden box is most important, because the wood seems to dry out the snuff. I heat up the box with a hair dryer and then apply the wax, making certain I also coat the hinges. Mind you this will only keep the snuff most for a few days, perhaps three or four 

2 Likes

Wonderful suggestion. Thank you, sir.

1 Like

Without a doubt Gold is best. I had several gold boxes back in the day however the estate was lost alas. I now keep it in my overcoat pockets, a tip I picked up from Napolean.

3 Likes

Does anyone have any comments or advice about using a metal rolling tobacco tin to store snuff in? I’ve got an old Golden Virginia tin and looks airtight. At least it might be good enough to keep my daily supply in?

1 Like

@huysmans if its a tobacco tin then in theory it would be airtight enough for snuff for daily use but maybe not for a prolonged period The small kilner jars or small mason jars have worked well for me to keep larger amounts fresher for longer like you would with pipe tobacco etc

1 Like

@billsykes I found snuff gets lost in the contours of the tobacco tin if you pour it in directly so I am using it to store my wooden snuff box and the odd tap tin to try and keep their contents safe.

1 Like

@huysmans apologies for the late reply That sounds like a good idea :slight_smile:

1 Like