Pinch, Tap, or Spoon?

I was boxcar exclusively for several months, but now I’m a pincher.  I only boxcar if my fingers are too… unsavory… to take a pinch.

I’m split between pinch or back of the hand depending on the snuff. Toast will get a spoon if I am at home as it clumps if I pinch… Never got into the boxcar for whatever reason… Started with the back of my hand in '98 and got used to it!

I posted previously that I only use the pinch method. I did, however, make this little fella at work today for my wife @Kaitlandia. I think it turned out pretty decent. image

2 Likes

It turned out great I love it! Thank you! It works great for my tiny nose holes lmao @FischTix

2 Likes

I was lucky enough to find a snuff spoon so i’m waiting to see what arrives first.  The snuff or the snuff spoon.  I’m a complete novice so we’ll see how this goes.  I figure i’ll use a spoon because i’m dealing with moist snuff

Well… I use them all three :smiley:

40 % tapping

30 % pinching

25 % spoon

5 % use to hit the ground … on some snuff more than on others… mostly schmalzlers which I take from the back of my hand frequently use to roll off the back of my hand.

@Humppa, have you tried boxcar for schmai? I prefer this way for coarse ones and those KB-like. No rolling off!

@volunge - Yes I almost tried it and I like it. But with Schmalzler I prefer the back-of-the-hand method. Being very traditional in the bavarian way - I use my Schmalzlers out of a porcellan flask with the bavarian crest on one side on the face of Konig Ludwig II on the other.

Being honest - usually it is not about 5 % of loss. Kinda joking there.

3 Likes

I pinch mostly…it just comes natural to me.  every once in awhile i boxcar or sniff off the back of the hand but with most snuffs i pinch except for Otto Shcmalzler and Taxi Blue which i just unceremoniously stuff up my nose.

1 Like

My preference is for the pinch. I have the most control and get the best aroma that way, plus I can do it without any thought. But my bulk snuffs are kept in vials, so I end up using the back of my hand a fair amount. I’d eventually like to learn the art of the spoon though… would be nice to avoid the finger cleaning after every pinch when reading a book, typing, etc.

3 Likes

This spoon thing caught my attention. I think it would serve well dealing with very fine snuff. I started with most popular Poshl products, so the tapboxes were my go-to for many years. Sometimes they clogged and there was too much, too little or none snuff on my hand. Especially if it was windy outside and I could see my portion flying away… However, after I discovered all the fancy tins of tabaka, realised theres nothing better than a good ol’ pinch of it. You can stuff your nose, sniff it slowly for a few minutes or enjoy mangling it with your fingers… Be it coarse or fine grind, pinching always works for me.

3 Likes

It’s excellent for moist snuff.  No way would i attempt to finger it.  I’d probably overdo it

I pinch all snuffs. The finer the grind the more I enjoy them from the back of the hand.

2 Likes

I like using a spoon…it gives me the best portion control. I also enjoy tapping some out on the back of my hand. It Is usually a pretty quick option. As a newbie, I have no idea what a boxcar is. Lol!

@Ben_MacM Box car is where you wrap your index finger around the end of your thumb and place the snuff on your thumb nail. I either pinch or use this method.

That sounds pretty cool. It seems like it would be a rather large portion…but hey, anything is worth a shot at least once. Thanks @Slide for the explanation. 

@Ben_MacM An illustration of boxcar: http://www.modernsnuff.com/technique/index.html#boxcar

Preparing boxcar load, you can pour as much snuff as you like. Pretty much no limits there!

1 Like

That was a great rundown of the different snuff taking methods. Thank-you @volunge for sharing that link…most kind. I have taken to the spoon method primarily. I feel I can control the portion size best. I prefer 2-3 small sniffs in each nostril over one big one each. I find I also get less going to the back of my throat…which is something I’m not a big fan of. Thanks again gang for the on-going education process…this is great!

1 Like

The tongue cluck method improved my experience greatly. I’ve always been a pincher and a proponent of moist and coarse snuffs because they stay where they are supposed to stay, but now I know that a short, sharp inhalation is not always one’s friend. As a plus, I can be content with far less use as none is wasted. So, short answer is pinch, but it’s too late for that.

1 Like

@Ben_MacM I use box car when I am using turn tins or snuff boxes with a sliding dispenser. You can somewhat control the amount that comes out. However, sometimes the Snuff Gods do challenge you!

4 Likes