SNUFFTAKING - THE FIRST WEEK

I started with a scotch snuff as well. Moister snuffs were a challenge for me when I first tried them because I was not sniffing hard enough. I

1 Like

You may want to try course ground snuffs such as SG Black Rappee 

If technique is your problem, I would recommend you to try Schmalzler as well. Go for a Bernard. Aecht Altbayerischer Schmalzler would be my point. It has a very very well made tobacco base and a great scent. The Nicotine is not that high on this one and you can use quiete amount of it. No throat hits will be caused.

For the first time, I would stay away from the fine grinds. Go from coarse to fine in grind. The more experience you have the more you will taste the fine differences in scent and aroma of tobacco. Don t go too over mentholated.

The O and G of McC is a good one for the menthols.

About 20 years ago, when I was a lad at the age of 16 years my first snuff was Gletscherprise by Poschl. Still enjoy it today from time to time.

@snuffmonkey mentioned the issues about sniffing too hard with moister ones. Here in Bavaria where Schmalzlers are common, this issue can also be a problem when taking the finer ones.

1 Like

Just order a bunch of different types and try them all. I advise you to use the pinch method and stay away from gizmos and gadgets. The easiest, most pleasant way to take snuff is to just take a small pinch between thumb and forefinger, bring to the nostril and inhale.

1 Like

Good recommendation for a beginner about the pinching method

1 Like

Pinching is the only way that works for me too. If I try to snuff from a spoon, back of hand or boxcar I always get some that goes up too far. With pinching on the other hand it’s perfect every time, no matter what the snuff is. I actually combine three methods: spoon snuff from container onto back of hand then pinch from back of hand to nose.

1 Like

I dont pinch when using oily snuffs like Kailash, however, I use them very rarely indeed. The vast majority of my snuffing is with traditional British snuffs, and they are all delivered with a pinch. The only other time I dont pinch, is the last few crumbs out of the snuffbox, when I physically cant get hold of them. They’re tipped on the hand and snuffed from there… and usually end up too far back.

1 Like

Boxcar for schmalzlers, pinch for every thing else.

1 Like

I would like to figure out a good spoon technique for when my hands are dirty working in the woodshop. So far I can only use a spoon with schmalzlers

2 Likes

@boiledonions is the bendy straw others speak of any use?

@boiledonions why not spoon to back of hand? I would use back of hand exclusively if all my snuff was in tap boxes…it is by far the superior method for me.

2 Likes

I will give back of hand a try, I think I can manage that with moist snuffs. Whenever I have tried the bendy straw/ kuripe deal it is just time consuming to load it up, but I will give that a try too! When I first started each pinch took me a full minute, now that my hands are coordinated for the task, I doubt it takes 10 seconds.

1 Like

@boiledonions

If Mr Snuff gets the Rococo turn tins they would work well for back of the hand or box car

Snuff Store has them at the moment

http://www.snuffstore.co.uk/rococo-stainless-steel-turn-tin-p-2785.html

@slide I was considering making my own with various snuff tins, a hole punch and file…just too lazy. Something I have recently discovered… if a snuff stuffs me up a little, the worse thing I can do is try to flush out my nose, as after I am completely stuffed up by the snuff… not sure if I am alone in that respect.

1 Like

@snuffandsympathy

I do use a Nettie pot to clean my sinuses periodically. But I have not tried it when I was stuffy. FOr me the Nettie will close me up a bit.

What help me when I am stuffy, from a snuff or in the morning, is a snuff that gets my nose running. Opens me up in a little bit all is right in my world.Viking Dark works well:))

1 Like

As far as Turn Tins go I would like to get one of these.

https://www.snuffstore.de/zubehoer/schnupftabak-zubehoer/dosen/schnupftabakdose-schnupfdoesli?number=ZCH0300059-12

@snuffandsympathy are you using salt in the water or just strait water for the nasal flush? Strait water has less salt than your membranes in your nose so through osmotic pressure they will suck in the water and may swell/clog. Sorry if this is obvious. @boiledonions back of hand works great (for me) for finer ground snuffs as well. J&H Wilson’s, Toque silver dollar. I find with some snuffs too like SWS Golden Horn the aroma is different (more full for me in this particular case) back of hand vs pinch. I still haven’t figured out how to use spoons well!

@ar47 no I did.t know that, so sorry for being an idiot! I assumed the saline was just added to make the water more of I have been making that mistake for so long.

@snuffandsympathy

No I may really be stating the obvious … use distilled water not tap water.

The issue i’m having is the snuff falling that doesn’t want to stick to the upper interior of my nose, making the inside of my nose black.  Then it drips a bit later