Home-made Chimo

Since I only had a small amount of green leaves this year, I decided to try my hand at making Chimo.

This product is nearly impossible to order anymore so it was high-time I got busy on a recipe.

The basics involve boiling your green leaves, straining them, adding a little sweetener and cocoa and cooking down to a paste.

Here’s some photos along the way:

From Luis at Chimo El Toro. Hello Sir Schlef, I hope you are fine. Few things has passed these weeks, but always keeping in mind figth to get out chimo el toro to US. We sent our first consolidate shipment to US from Colombia, it ia too expensive but for awhile we get importer license in US. Now We will send box with 42 dozen consolidate to US to our point os distribution then will send to each customer, first we will sending the older orders.

4 Likes

Translated??  Taking new orders and able to ship??

2 Likes

@cobguy I will try to contact him again tonight. Sounds like he has a temporary liscence to sell here. I will try to find out more later.

2 Likes

Bravo! Looks like true Venezuelan. I imagine it was a lengthy procedure, tho.

2 Likes

Thanks @RS422, I sent an email as well.

@volunge, Thanks!

It wasn’t too bad since a lot of the time was just simmering. 

I could see doing this outside over a fire with really large kettles.  :slight_smile:

~Darin

1 Like

Is this how other products like 6P’s Shammah Afghani are made too?

1 Like

@ar47 nope. Entirely different products and processes.

2 Likes

@ar47 chimo is essentially reduced tobacco tea, products like shammah afghani are made similiar to naswar, shown in video below. Anyone please correct me if I’m mistaken. https://youtu.be/6h9XeWsa-Aw

3 Likes

That’s a really cool video!  

With Makla / Shammah, etc, the leaf itself is used like in snus / dip.

It’s not uncommon for Makla to only contain 35% tobacco and the rest additives.

As rostanf said, Chimo is more of a boiled down tea and contains very few adulterants.

2 Likes

Dear Friends, after some serious problems in Venezuela as follow 1._ Airplanes of passengers or charges from Venezuela can not land in US, FedEx supend the services 2._ We were working to ship by sea, we had to let authorities know but the goverment got the company under investigation becouse they tougth there are billions of USD behind it. Now they let off the company. 3._ We found the way to continue still passing the Colombia frontier, but the cost are increase than ever, but is the only way to send the product for now We have now more than 100 dozen in US available for the older orders and new orders but we can

2 Likes

Dear Friends, after some serious problems in Venezuela as follow 1._ Airplanes of passengers or charges from Venezuela can not land in US, FedEx supend the services 2._ We were working to ship by sea, we had to let authorities know but the goverment got the company under investigation becouse they tougth there are billions of USD behind it. Now they let off the company. 3._ We found the way to continue still passing the Colombia frontier, but the cost are increase than ever, but is the only way to send the product for now We have now more than 100 dozen in US available for the older orders and new orders but we cant sell in the web page, we are delegating the point of sales to a distribuitor with ATF and FDA, you can write to franciscosalvatore@hotmail.com to ask prices and shipping. The older orders will be shipped next week.

2 Likes

Thanks @RS422!   :)>-

1 Like

I’d love to try some of this but the whole shipping/smuggling situation is too complicated for my simple life :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@ar47, once it’s all settled I’ll get some to you!  :)>-

I’m actually really used to this kind of “activity”.  LOL

2 Likes

Northerner seems to have it in stock. Is there a problem with ordering from there? I’ve wanted to try some, and realizing the situation in Venezuela I figure I had better act fast.

@KortKant depends on where you are. They won’t ship it to the States, for example.

@RS422 I emailed the person you mentioned above but never received a reply.

Here’s a video you guys might like. Small chimo producer. In Spanish. https://youtu.be/g-GtSQrlJi0

3 Likes

I thought it was an American company? They dont ship to certain states I noticed, but mine is not among them.

1 Like

@SammyD13, I also received no reply and expect we never will.

@rostanf, thanks for that video!  :slight_smile:

I found this video as well and it includes the actual plants used from the forest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqNMGVSsVHA

2 Likes