J&H Wilson's Top Mill No. 1, Large tin

@47 Worth re-posting this on WoS Facebook wall (search for “Wilsons & Co. (Sharrow) Ltd.”, they are quite active there).

Possibly, the scarce amount of this particular snuff is determined technically - (if this is the case) - might be a grind thing, which reflects in the name of the snuff itself. I guess they can’t produce larger amount of the base flour of that mill fraction. This would explain the tiny tin size.

All in all, a very nice snuff this!

1 Like

J&H Wilson snuff is made by Imperial Tobacco not WoS. And although I’d love if this snuff came in vac tins I dont think Imperial Tobacco gives two shits about their snuffs so I dont see it happening anytime soon.

3 Likes

Yes, IT owned quite a few snuff brands, but sold them to Mac Baren. http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-news/mac-baren-acquires-brands-from-imperial-tobacco/ (kudos to @crullers for the link).

https://mac-baren.com/nasal-snuff/

Still, whoever is the present owner of the brand, I have a feeling that J&H (as well as Hedges L260 and whole McChrystal’s range) are made somewhere in South Yorkshire.

Now, the following quote isn’t a proof of anything, it just reveals apparently a not so uncommon practice of contracted manufacture: “[…]as we have been producing some of these brands for them for years, this transaction makes a lot of sense for both parties”.

I sent a request to MB, will paste their answer here (if ever get it).

2 Likes

Thanks guys! I’ve considered in the past that the production is so low because that matches demand, but here I believe they would sell more than 2x if they invested. Interesting perspective @volunge that they might already be selling all they can produce.

1 Like

@ar47, it seems you are right about demand-matching low production. Here’s the reply I just got from MB ISM:

"Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately, I have to disappoint you. We don’t have any plans of making the Top Mill as a 20 gr. I have never heard there’s a demand for this before, so it’s not something we have considered."

@n9inchnails, you nailed it, buddy.

However, if low production is not a result of some mfg peculiarities, but is demand-determined, then I’m sure that offering Top Mill in small containers only is doing the demand of this snuff one great disservice. A vicious circle.

P. S. Interesting TM No 1 label info in the very first post in this thread: https://snuffhouse.com/discussion/11700/j-h-wilson-s-tins (“manufactured for Mac Baren”).

2 Likes

@volunge great info and thanks for reaching out to them! They see the demand so low because us snuff conneiseurs hate 5g tap boxes!

2 Likes

ive never ordered it because it comes in such a small amount. i snuff enough that 5g just isnt worth ordering especially when you factor in shipping to the USA because mrsnuff increases the shipping rate per item and not just by weight. i was thinking a larger container might generate more interest if there are others here like me

4 Likes

@peacock thanks I agree!

1 Like

They need to put this in 25 gm vacuum tims. End of story.

3 Likes

I sent them quite a few links to Snuffhouse threads where the need of large tin of Top Mill No. 1 was mentioned.

The last reply I got was: “Thank you very much for your feedback. There’s something for us to consider.”

Let’s convince them there is a demand for it! https://mac-baren.com/contact-us/ It takes just a minute to fill a request form there.

3 Likes

@Volunge I sent them a message.

3 Likes

Me too

3 Likes

Capture+_2019-09-18-06-25-48

2 Likes

It’s either a template reply or a case of short memory there… I got the same reply to my very first message I sent them in May.

Anyway, thank you guys for letting Mac Baren know we need it!

2 Likes

I received a similar response, albeit very swiftly. You never know - if enough people ask the question, we might get somewhere.

3 Likes

New tactic. Join me if you will. Besides asking for the large tins I am sending weekly “follow up” emails asking for updates and when they’ll be available. Sqeaky wheel gets the grease maybe.

2 Likes

@rostanf my man! Let’s do it!

2 Likes

@rostanf I’m in!

2 Likes

I won’t buy this snuff ever again unless they go to the big tin. It’s great snuff, but I have no problem with any Wilson’s SP or menthol; besides they have more variety than JH does. I guess they don’t care what their customers think.

1 Like

I guess I’m the oddball here, but I’ve always wished I could get Hedges (from the same company) IN a 5g container. I love it, but the amount I’ve tossed out is obscene. Now the tap hole, on the other hand, is indeed just an abomination

1 Like