J.H Wilson's Snuff (Have they changed it?)

Yeah the scent is exactly the same. And actually I think I prefer it being coarser…

1 Like

Is the SP No1 coarse or clumpy? My 20g (shoot! Forgot to order more) was lots of little balls and after milling them lightly with a random object it was pretty fine

1 Like

No it’s coarse, no clumps. It’s similar to some of the toque ranges, original, menthol etc. Them types of grinds.

The SP is almost like a toast and I thought the medicated was also the same. My memory isn’t 100% sure but if I look on youtube, in the old review videos the medicated looks like the SP, same color and grind.

1 Like

I tried to take a picture but you can’t really tell the difference in the grinds. I can feel it when I pinch it though. I was thinking maybe the SP is the culprit and it’s stale, been on the shelf too long or something. But that wouldn’t explain the difference in color.

1 Like

Who owns the J.H wilsons range? Is it WOS? 

1 Like

One being stale does explain the color difference. Tobacco gets darker the more moisture it has so stale snuff is always lighter in color than fresh snuff. And I think its made by MacBaren now

1 Like

I didn’t know that about the tobacco changing color but it’s different to what I used to buy, I’m pretty sure. 

Thanks, I sent them an email. 

(waiting for them to email me back telling me I’m insane and the recipe hasn’t changed since 1274 and I should stop posting on the internet)

2 Likes

also snuffs change it’s got this funny thing to do with tobacco being part of a plant (well it is a plant but… you get the point) the color of the leaf can change from season to season or even how well the particular leaf holds moisture and all that. And unlike other types of tobacco it’s apparently less often a blend of different types and mostly burly which is better at holding scents then other strains.

2 Likes

I emailed them few nights ago asking the same thing I asked you guys and they sent this back…

'Yes, we have made small changes. which also keeps it easier to have in the tins.

It’s good to hear you like it.'

3 Likes

@vmank1q thanks for sharing their response! I still wish they would make large tins of Top Mill No1

2 Likes

No problem. I thought it was different but I wasn’t certain. And to be fair it does fit in the tin better than it used to, although the SP is the same, as in it kind of spills out if your not careful. But the medicated is still a nice snuff and I prefer a coarser grind so it suits me fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh yeah Top Mill No1 is an awesome snuff. Has anyone asked them why they don’t sell the large tins? 

3 Likes

@vmank1q http://snuffhouse.com/discussion/12164/j-h-wilson-s-top-mill-no-1-large-tin

1 Like

Thanks for the link voulnge, I’ll message them also.

1 Like

@vmank1q I havent bought Wilsons in awhile. They got rid of the green tape?

2 Likes

No the medicated had the green tape but the sp was in the normal packaging.

2 Likes

I emailed them last week and asked them why their top mill only came in small tins and they sent this back.

‘It’s not something we have considered as needed in the market. However, we have had some inquiries about this lately, so perhaps we will reconsider, but nothing is decided.’

4 Likes

Thank you @vmank1q !!

2 Likes

Great to know this affair is developing. There’s a slight change in their tone.

Any reddit users here? We could pass the ball that side.

I’m sure that everyone who is not partial to Joseph and Henry Wilson Top Mill No 1 would welcome this snuff in the large tin and many are waiting for the relaunch.

3 Likes

I got some S.P. No.1 in tap tins recently. Yes, it feels different now. I would second @vmank1q - the new version is better. I mean, it’s more palatable in dried out state, to which they are deemed in this type of container. Those tap things come only 2/3 full… At least these 3 I got.

I even didn’t bother to tear off the seal tape, just cracked the can open like I would proceed with Neffa Ifrikia. No hassle.