J.H Wilson's Snuff (Have they changed it?)

Haven’t had this for a long time and bought some today. Tobacco looks darker than before and it seems to be more coarse. Smells the same though. Has anyone else noticed this is or is it just me?

20190911_203230

2 Likes

Yeah it’s different. The flavor is the same I think, it’s just darker and coarser. 

Screenshot 2019-09-11 at 20.36.37

1 Like

SP No.1 in both pics looks lighter than the last time I had it in good old vac tin (8 years ago…).

Never tried the 99th.

1 Like

I started taking snuff in 2011 and I’m pretty sure both sp and 99 were a lightish color. This tin of medicated had a piece of tape holding it together instead of the usual plastic so I don’t know if that means anything.

1 Like

Your pic looks right to me, both for SP No1 and MED99 from orders at SnuffMe last winter

2 Likes

My picture of the sp and the other one I posted look the same, it’s just the lighting on my phone.

‘Your pic looks right to me, both for SP No1 and MED99 from orders at SnuffMe last winter’

Maybe it’s changed recently then…weird

1 Like

@vmank1q Do they both look like 99 in your photo?

Maybe you got them extra fresh? That is, the moister the darker…

I once was gifted a bunch of Hedges tins, purchased at some tobacconist’s, which were all dried out, hence lighter in colour than usual. A bit of a lottery thing getting snuff fresh there (in my humble experience).

1 Like

Sorry, I’m confusing things now. The sp in my photo looks like the sp in the second photo. The medicated is darker and coarser. But I actually prefer it coarser. It’s a really nice snuff. 

1 Like

I would say, you had a good luck and got it fresh, mate!

Plastic seal is really bad for preserving the moisture. Tape seals much better.

1 Like

@volunge mine came taped, but the tape was so old there was no glue left. White tape

2 Likes

@ar47, I had the same issue with the green WoS tape few times, too. But those were some discontinued WoS snuffs from at least 3 years old stock. Anyways, tape is definitely not the best sealing solution.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a fresh batch tbh, it’s definitely different than what I used to buy. Either way it’s a pretty good snuff :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I remember the wos with the green tape too lol

1 Like

come to think of it, i thought i noticed 99 had a darker color to it too with the last batch i got. i assumed it was fresher and didnt think much of it because the scent was the same

1 Like

Yeah the scent is exactly the same. And actually I think I prefer it being coarser…

1 Like

Is the SP No1 coarse or clumpy? My 20g (shoot! Forgot to order more) was lots of little balls and after milling them lightly with a random object it was pretty fine

1 Like

No it’s coarse, no clumps. It’s similar to some of the toque ranges, original, menthol etc. Them types of grinds.

The SP is almost like a toast and I thought the medicated was also the same. My memory isn’t 100% sure but if I look on youtube, in the old review videos the medicated looks like the SP, same color and grind.

1 Like

I tried to take a picture but you can’t really tell the difference in the grinds. I can feel it when I pinch it though. I was thinking maybe the SP is the culprit and it’s stale, been on the shelf too long or something. But that wouldn’t explain the difference in color.

1 Like

Who owns the J.H wilsons range? Is it WOS? 

1 Like