How long does snuff absorption take?

Through subjective experience or scientific literature read, how much time do yall think it takes for total absorption of chemicals from the initial snuff? How long does the stuff have to sit in your nose?  I very clearly feel a rush at first glance, but if I blow my nose shortly after I believe that I feel a marked reduction of effects, though this could be placebo effects; I am very neurotic about the amount of effects I feel from a given substance.  I routinely take a dip or snus out fairly quickly after the effects seem to subside, about 15 maybe 20 minutes.  This is not due to health impacts specifically, I just feel its unnecessary and mostly unenjoyable to have tobacco in longer than major effects last. Thats not to say I wouldnt put another in right after sometimes. And it could have health implications, to have direct contact with tobacco as little as possible, that I would be interested in at a point in time I was further off cigarettes.

I usually keep a prilla (or a portion - when I’m in public) in my lip from 1 to 2 hours. I feel the effect that long and dig the taste of loose snus. Then I take a short break (5-30 minutes), rinse my mouth and go on with the fresh one. I never sleep with snus/snuff. Some folks do.

Now snuff… It varies greatly. Depends on a particular snuff, but I tend to keep it in for as long as possible - that is, until the flow starts; regretably, I get really bad drip with some snuffs almost instantly. Most often, I take another pinch right after the cleanse. 1-5 pinches per hour, sometimes more.

3 Likes

depends on the snuff. Though it’s pretty quick. 

1 Like

IMO it depends on grind and free nicotine content.  for example with toques, blueberry menthol fails to deliver me a fix no matter how much I pack my nose; whereas lime toast satisfies immediately and with decent duration

I’ve read it can be blown out within 5 minutes. Great name by the way.

Really depends on the snuff. Garrett goes right to my brain (MG Madras sometimes too), but most are much slower for me.

1 Like

I have wondered about this myself.  Still experimenting, personally.  I’ve found that when snuffed properly it does seem to hit almost immediately, but I usually wait a few minutes before blowing my nose anyway.

2 Likes

Blowing the nose between snuffs can help with absorbtion. Of course, snuffs with a front drip force the issue, but you can snuff away with the drier snuffs and they will layer the surfaces of the inside of the nose and sinuses. For snuff to be absorbed, the inner surfaces need to be relatively clean.

3 Likes