Toque Natural Toast

This snuff is way up there with my favourite (WoS IHT No22). Congrats to Rodders on this one, superb, toasty, nutty and very sniffable.

Its not like F and T HDT, agreed, but I doubt he was looking for that anyway. Toques’ weakness has been most of the snufffs being made from the same basic ‘flour’ - they have been great snuffs but I was really craving a dry, natural toast. I’ve got to say the stuff is wonderful - as toffeenose said it could almost pass as a US snuff due to the heavy smokiness in the taste. I don’t think there has been any attempt to copy FandT and that would be a fruitless excercise anyway; the Fribourgs is truly great. But Toque gets better with every snuff they introduce and this is a classsic move.

I finally got my hands on the Natural Toast. It strikes me as a unique Anglo-American hybrid, somewhere between Wilsons Irish HDT No. 22 and an American Scotch on the mid-level of the smokiness scale (Honest comes to mind). The Toque does not have the complexity and buttery smoothness of the Wilsons Irish HDT (but then what does?), but it’s not trying to emulate Wilsons HDT or the full bodied richness of the American Scotches. Perhaps the Natural Toast suffers a bit from the “neither one nor quite the other” syndrome, but it is nonetheless a very good snuff. It may also be the perfect way in for those not quite ready for the American Scotches. I am even more impressed with the Toque Lime Toast I also received. The lime flavor is absolutely outstanding, and it complements this toast base extremely well. This one is definitely a winner. I really hope we see more flavors that use the toast base. (I would love to see a Toque Rum Toast…) Nothing is ever going to replace Wilsons Irish HDT No. 22 as my everyday snuff, but as a huge fan of toasts, I am really thrilled about this new development.

This seems just like F&T HDT, but with less fish and chips.

never tried this one. About to receive a whole lot of it. Ordered the biggest size they offer and you guys are making me thing I didn’t mess that one up. Also getting some rose and lavender. If I am not pleased with the toast there might be some big time trading going on. Though sounds great.

@bob if your a fan of HDT youl learn to love TNT if you don’t at first. Its less delicate than HDT but accounting for the superior economy its overall better snuff to use IMO.

2 Likes

To me Toque NT and FT HDT are quite similar, both excellent, but not different enough that I would always have both on hand. Perhaps my nose is less sophisticated than most of the above commentators. One should try both if possible. Will always have one in my top 5. Sorry to hijack slightly but i just love the FT Kendal Brown i recently obtained, pity it’s going away…quite distinct [more subtle, less floral] from the WoS KB

–i say this keeping in mind that most of you feel they are not true kendals.

1 Like

One of my favorites is the HDT and toque natural is a favorite so I said this will probably be good. The two newest comments make me think I made the right choice. To be honest I’ve realize floral and natural are my two favorite snuff styles to a point of making other snuffs kind of whatevers. Also they agree with my nose the best. Which the HDT was a favorite because I could pack my nose without getting clogged or irritated.

Just got this and I really like it. I like it better then the HDT to be honest. I don’t think it’s objectively better but I think it suits my tastes much better. I’d say it’s more tobaccoish then the HDT. There is a cigar like under tone too it. Still has the creamy and nutty qualities but with a little bit of a cigar leaf smell. It’s got more of an edge to it then the HDT which doesn’t mean it’s harsh it’s still a very smooth snuff scent wise and nose feel but the HDT is a little more “wimpy” for lack of a better term. All around a new favorite and with a little more character then the HDT. If you are a fan of toasts there is no reason not to try this one and if you’ve not tried any toasts yet this is a good place to investigate this style of snuff.

4 Likes

If TNT is really unflavoured, then super aromatic tobacco(s) are used for this snuff. It could easily qualify as scented. Although this strong sweet alco-honeyish scent I get there doesn not overwhelm the natural aroma of toasted tobacco, it clearly dominates. Yes, I know how sweet a pure toast can be (the discontinued SG Irish D-light), but this tin of TNT is another dimension. I still wonder tho, could it be that it “caught” a good whiff of Toque USA W&H flavour from that economy bag in transit. Or did I get a mislabeled regular Toque Whiskey and Honey…

Texture-wise TNT is closest to the present SG Irish D - it’s a tad more coarse than WoS Irish No. 22 and F&T HDT. I find it lower on nic than WoS and F&T. Still, moreish it is, and whilst it doesn’t beat No.22 or Irish D for me, I prefer TNT to HDT.

2 Likes

When ordering more than 1 ecobag of Toque you will get cross contamination of flavours during transit. My W&H reeks of Ambrosia because of cross contamination during tansit. Only order 1 bag at a time if ordering flavoured snuffs.

2 Likes

@n9inchnails Yes! And not just in shipping but storage too. I put a 50g W&H economy bag exactly as it came double-bagged from Toque in a tupperware with some 6Photo and the W&H came out a few months later smelling like an incense shop.

1 Like

That annoying cross-contam resulted sweet aroma has aired out and I am left with 2/3-full tin of a plain toast. Finally.

On a side note, I used to dig Toque USA W&H, but after a year’s break I find that sweet side somewhat off-putting. I prefer plain toast to scented and would like to try a “honey-free” version of this toast and rustica blend.

2 Likes

Toque Bourbon is pretty much a honey free W&H.

2 Likes

I agree with @n9inchnails about that, but the base of the UK version seems to me more like Toque Natural which is darker and plainer than Natural Toast- or possibly Quit. I want to say the base of USA WH is very similar to that of Natural Toast.

1 Like

Thanks @n9inchnails and @SammyD13, I’ll check the Bourbon. I like both TN and NT.

1 Like

Love it. Toque has one of the nicest toasts I’ve ever had. To me it’s as good as F&T HDT.

2 Likes

I mix my toasts with a little vintage Garrett sweet that I bought on eBay a few years ago. A glass unopened 5 oz jar that somehow had no rust on the lid and matured into the nicest sweet scotch I’ve ever had. It works with any American sweet scotch to add a little sweetness to a plain dry toast. Try it.

1 Like

I really like the Natural Toast, it is my favorite plain toast. It is a great snuff, but I am a slut for citrus snuffs so it does not get much time in my nose.

1 Like

Just realised, that TNT reminds me of WoS Dr. Rumney’s Brown (without the biscuity part). Good snuff, indeed.