Snuff Tins

OK the "LOOKS " & seal ability of the tin makes all the difference in the world, I know that it cost more to make good tins and the only good tins on the market are F&T tins, so snuff makers get off your asses and order tins that are worth having and  charge accordingly !!! I think in the long run you will find a higher sales market with tins that are worth having and also look good !!!     Do something about it guys as these cheap tins nobody wants them and we dam sure don’t want to collect them !!!    The snuff market / forum user seems to be declining so you have got to make a change, OK look at it this way F&T tins are the only tins on the market that people want to collect & there the only tins that seal properly !!!    G’day Gents

I will happily pay a bit more for the F&T style tin !!! G’Day Gents

2 Likes

I have found that Santo Domingo and Princes tins will corrode and have a difficult time opening and closing F and T tins in general. Rosinski sells the snuff in very effective mylar bags and sells very nice labeled jars separately. He may be on to something.

2 Likes

I dunno… maybe I am an outlier here, but I really don’t have a problem with any of the different brands tins/containers, except for the SIlver Dollar twist tappers. Those things dry out fast and leak snuff like a sieve. Haven’t had any troubles with McChrystal, WoS, Toque, 6P, Dholakia, Viking/SG 25g tins, or the Poschl tap boxes.  My only beef with the McChrystal and WoS tins is that sometimes the snuff can get ramped up one side and even after tapping it on a hard surface it can still spill over the edge when I open it. I quite like the Toque threaded top tins in that the top seals down tight to the edge and prevents that from happening.

3 Likes

I tend to use a snuffbox anyway, so my main need from a tin is just to get the snuff to me in good condition. The only thing that has failed to do that, is plastic tapboxes.

1 Like

The key for me is keeping the snuff fresh up until the point I take possession of it. Snuff that has been stored too long or stored improperly is not the same thing as fresh snuff. There can be a huge difference- especially with moister snuffs. There is nothing worse than paying top dollar for an artisan snuff only to find it is dried out and relatively bland. I wish all the snuff makers used vac seal tins. They are not good for storage once they have been opened, but they can be kept sealed in a bag or the snuff can be transferred to an airtight container such as a jar.

1 Like

i have about 15 proper screw lid glass jars…

when my snuff comes i immediately pour the lot into the screw lid small jars…and they are sealed and fresh.

I then have about  10 photo cartridge holders from ebay for 1.80

i transfer about 3 or 4  grams of my favorite stuff and put into the labeled photo cartridge tubs.

these i use all day …opening and closing etc…and by teh time i get to the bottom of the 4 grams…it sometimes is losing a bit of its moisture and smell due to being opened so many times.

but its still fresh…

once empty i refil from the tight screw lid jars i have …and that is ALWAYS FRESH AND MOIST.

this way i always have fresh snuff, i dont trust any of the containers the snuff comes in as once the vacuum seal is broken, i think a screw jar with a tight lid is better for keeping.

i also never ever touch with my hand the stuff in the screw jars…as i dont want to put bacteria in there…always scoop out with a snuff spoon.

the photo cartridges are also good to go out with in your pocket.and i recon they are probably better sealed than most if not all snuff boxes…the lid has about 3 flanges to seal.

the tight screw jars get opened about 5 times ever.

the photo cartridge cases gets opened about 20 times per filling (i only fill about 1/3 rd full)

if i always used the main jar…it would be opened maybe 200 or 300 times in the life of the tub of snuff.

and that is enough to lose a lot of moisture and potency and smell.

but only opening them 5 times, ensures perfect snuff every time and no loss of potency or smell.

my feelings are you need a good screw lid and glass or tin for proper storage.

3 Likes

@eblip I agree. I use varying sizes of these. salv4a__94241.1441782847

3 Likes

I find screw top or clasp top glass jars to be the superior method of storage. I still keep the jars bagged individually in zip lock bags for long-term storage, though. Freshness is as important as the snuff itself.

4 Likes

Here’s my source for containers - glass, plastic or metal:

https://www.specialtybottle.com/metal-tin-containers/screw-top

3 Likes

I might know this just from looking at photos on here, but to double-check.  Does Fribourg & Treyer (or WoS) manufacture two different types of tins?  I’ve only had the F&T HDT from toquesnuff and it came in a cylindrical tin.  But I recently ordered F&T Old Paris from elsewhere and the display photo shows a disc-shaped tin.  I can’t tell if it has a screw lid either.  Just curious, cheers

2 Likes

F and T used to come in screw top but no more, I think the cost was the decider… I personally don’t worry about any tins but I hate those tap tins. And I mean dislike a lot. I use a snuff box and tend to decant into a jar one the Tin is open. I use a wooden snuff box but I have recently started using a coin screw box and that keeps the snuff tin fresh for ages.

2 Likes

@Sir_Rodney_Ffing The F&T High Dry Toast medium tin I got from toquesnuff came in a screw lid tin, but it was a cylinder tube.  From photos I’ve seen, that’s the original style tin.  The other tin I ordered that I don’t have yet is from a different source.  It appears to be a disc shaped tin (like most 20 or 25g tins), like I’ve seen in some of the photos posted on this site

I guess from what you’re saying that the newer style tins aren’t screw top but more like the vacuum style or vacuum sealed tins

2 Likes

@Gormur F&T is now made by Wilsons, and packaged in the same tins they use for their own snuff. Roderick from Toque has managed to get hold of some of the old tins and is selling them (filled with the appropriate snuff from Wilsons, of course) on the Toque website. Basically, F&T now comes in the same packaging as Wilsons of Sharrow. If you find any in the old tall cylinder tins and it didn’t come directly from Roderick then it’s going to be old!

1 Like

I haven’t seen anyone ask this before and instead of opening a new thread I’ll post my question here

How do you open a tap tin?  I’m sure I could do it but not without snuff flying across the room.  Any tips?

1 Like

@gormur which tins are you talking about? Poschl or Bernard?

The Poschls are the easiest; just use a small flathead screwdriver. Ope the opening lid. Take the opening lid at about 45 degrees - take the screwdriver and pry it slightly from one side. Try it on each side. When you see a little movement with change the screwdriver head on the now appearing gap and pry it again slighty.

The boxes are just set tpgether. It can ve opened without much force.

The Bernards work rather the same way - but be careful with the opening lid. There is a little plastic inlay that can break easily.

I prefer the Poschl tins - they are more robust and can be used more often.

2 Likes

@Humppa Actually the WoS ones.  I have 3 on the way and 1 here with me.  They’re kind of a pain to deal with, as you may know

Never had Poeschl but I can use this for future reference.  I have one Bernard Fresco, so this helps with that

Thanks

2 Likes

@Gormur if you mean the small WOS flat disc tap tin the black plastic section has a small semi circle cut out in the textured plastic where it lines up with the hole in the metal upper part Which might make alignment easier But if you want to take it apart then a small flat head screw driver can be used to pry the metal upper off the plastic lower section with small Controlled movements so you dont spray snuff everywhere when you open it :slight_smile: I have had a couple of those tins just refuse to move mainly DR Rumneys rather than any other but I giess they are the same tins

2 Likes