Toque analogues for the Silver Dollar line.

I have been searching the forum to see if there is a place where this has been answered, but I couldn’t find anything - forgive me if this has been answered before.

I really dig a few of the Silver Dollar line snuffs, and I am wondering if any of these have analogues in the Toque standard lineup. For instance, SD Cola/Toque Coke… I’ve had both, but I couldn’t quite tell if the difference I was detecting was due to the SD being a little drier/flatter from being in the tap tins. I really like SD Raspberry… so would the Toque equivalent be Raspberry Menthol?  It would be great to have a list of equivalents, especially since Toque offers in higher quantity and SD is limited to the tiny tins. Any input would be appreciated!

@houtenziel, thanks for raising this question! I wonder are there analogues for SD Scotch and Licorice among toques. Loved the latter and still interested in trying Scotch, but not going to buy anything in 5 g tappers.

1 Like

@Roderick

3 Likes

Well I can at least say what I think regarding these few:

Toque’s Raspberry Menthol is fairly different from SD Raspberry. Menthol is more pronounced and the Raspberry almost has a sort of resinous scent to it, akin to a freshly cut fir tree or maybe even juniper (weird description, but that’s what I get). SD Raspberry has just enough menthol to give a tingle, and a light sweet raspberry scent.

I also got a chance to compare a fresh-ish tin of SD Cola to newly cracked Toque Coke, and I can say that those are as different as I remember them. It seems like there is a smidgen of menthol in SD Cola, and combined with the scent almost has a bubbly sensation when it hits the nose. Toque Coke seems to lack this and turns the richness of the cola scent up to 11. I love both of these, but they are not equal.

SD Natural is almost American scotch like in moisture, fine grind, and earthy character(minus the smokey thing), where Toque Natural is fairly moist, medium grind, and reminds me of sticking my face into a fresh pile of hay(probably has a fair amount of Virginia in it).  

Hopefully that sorts a few of them out for some of you who have wondered if they are the same, just marketed differently. They are not, at least to my sniffer, the same at all.

2 Likes

You’re correct @houtenziel I too am a Silver Dollar fan and would love SD Original, Cola, Blueberry and Apricot in 50g economy bags (if that’s what it takes). @Roderick can we do this? Also your site is down at the moment

2 Likes