Digital copy "The old snuff house of Fribourg & Treyer at the sign of the Rasp & crown"

Sorry if this is a repost. I couldn’t find it elsewhere. Very good copy of the book with illustrations. Good information about Fribourg & Treyer. https://archive.org/details/oldsnuffhouseoff00evaniala

2 Likes

If you follow the link from @rostanf , the first page you arrive at has a photograph of the shop in the landscape format.

A couple of pages before this, a small notice informs us that only 1000 copies were printed.

A few years ago I was lucky enough to find an excellent copy on the bay, for only about seven English pounds.

Some people ask ridiculous prices, probably because of the limited printing, but you can often see them for a few pounds.

So do not get carried away with ludicrous prices if you like to read the real thing. There are cheap originals out there to be had.

That is unless my copy is on sale for mega bucks, then feel free to bid high.  
$-)

5 Likes

@artChoo that’s good news. I took a peek on ebay and there seems to be a new reprint readily available which surprised me. I’ll definitely be looking for an old copy, thanks for the info.

2 Likes

@rostanf

I took a look at       abebooks  uk         they have loads of the new Indian, reprint copies from their various dealers.  

There are two genuine  original copies at about 45 UK pounds each on Abe.   With patience you should find a reasonable priced original copy on the bay.   Snuff taking has quite a small following and I have noticed greedy sellers eventually lower their prices if snuff books and ornaments etc. do shift for a few weeks.

All that is required is patience.

2 Likes

@artChoo thanks again, mate. Amazon also sells a copy for 10.99 US. I have an original copy of “The Book of Snuff and Snuff Boxes” by Mattoon Monroe Curtis on order from Amazon which will be my first book on the subject. Only $7 US couldn’t pass it up.

2 Likes