Most Overrated Snuff

Toque Quit. I simply don’t get it all the hoopla, but that’s how it goes.

2 Likes

WoS Tom Buck. Just recently finished a second tin of this and really after a very awesome first gram or two, this stuff just loses its taste for me regardless of how much care I put in to decanting it right away into airtight glass containers. I love SP’s when I am in the mood for one, but I like the scent to last for more than 1.5 seconds with diminishing returns over time! Also, Dholakia. Friggin. Black. Not that this actually gets a lot of hype but people do swear by it. Like basement shaman said, batches do vary, but holy hell if I lucked out in getting the one that truly smells like a dirty diaper. I don’t mean barn yard or hay or farm yard or manure, those scents I can handle and in fact enjoy. I mean the smell of fecal matter mixed with that mild scent that diaper companies insist on working in to the diaper material. That is literally what I got every time and it lingered in a very unpleasant way. I tried airing the snuff out and I think it actually got worse. I experience that smell from a reasonable distance many times a day with my baby twins so, no, I am not interested in paying money to intentionally lodge that smell in powdered form into my sinuses. I love Dholakia white and 41 photo WE but come on, this stuff is just gross.

I agree with @54_trad about artisan snuffs. I think the artisan makers must be missing part of the process or using the wrong additives or something. My own experiments have been very similar. I also strongly disapprove of one maker’s use of the name ‘Lundy Foot’, especially given the fact that we don’t even know for sure what Lundy Foot was actually like, or even exactly what type of snuff it was.

Ya know, as far as naming snuff is concerned and what blends may have been comprised of 200+ years ago, I don’t personally get any bit bothered by it. I completely understand, but sometimes it’s best to just let snuff be snuff. I wonder what it was called when it was first brought over to Europe and how brands derived from differences in shipping and storage imparting different scents to the snuff. The only major back drip I got from an artisan snuff was SWS Latakia blend and I chalk that up to the coarseness and moist nature of the intended final product, not in any way a mistake on the makers part. Then again I get back drip from many snuffs even though I rarely snuff past the lower part of my nose by mistake as I did often when I first took up the hobby. I chalk that up to my younger days of putting slightly more naughty things up my nose perhaps took a toll on how all that works up there, though I am fairly sure I don’t have a deviated septum(how does one know?) I think that all snuffs can be over glorified and all can be put in their place by another snuff if you want to view it as a constant quest for the holy grail snuff of all snuffs. What makes it fun is that any one snuff can have its shining moment depending on your mood and body chemistry. Except for Dholakia Black, just…no. Btw, no offense to Dholakia as a company as they have many fine snuffs I enjoy greatly. And maybe my palate is just not refined enough to understand the Dholakia black though I do enjoy black rappees with considerable farm yardyness. I just can’t get past the “ass” odor it has, I am sorry.

Haha “ass” odor. I almost want to get some to see what that is about. But then I’d likely smell the ass and wonder why I bothered :slight_smile: I pretty much snuff and let snuff. I like artisan snuff not only for the concoctions but I like being able to directly contact the makers. Not a likely thing with F&T or Conwood or whatever.

I think Toast snuffs are disgusting, and smell like burning plastic.

How anyone would prefer these disgusting snuffs, i’ll never know.i wasted money on High dry toast, I can smell it from a mile away…terrible stuff, and well overrated.

the menthol’s are also overrated, snuffing menthol isn’t snuffing in my eyes. Its for people who need a nicotine hit but cant stand snuff. totally overrated and as far as i am concerned, menthols are for people who really shouldnt be snuffing…that said i would pick Hedges 260 over F&T high dry toast any day.

1 Like

White Elephant and various artisan snuffs. I never understood all the hype about the extra nicotine. I have lots of scotches and plains, Indian, American, and English. They all satisfy the same itch. I rotate among them, and my experience is they are just as good as WE. I recall the price hike after people started posting how awesome it was. I just laughed.

1 Like

I think a lot of snuffs are overated…but definitely taxi red…this snuff is nothing spectacular in many depertments

1 Like

@eblip there’s a phenomenon I’ve experienced with snuff that I call “the nose learning it has nicotine.” Not the most flattering description of the result but I notice if I try to give a snuff a chance for a couple days I *usually* come around and find myself enjoying it. Also using snuffs with similar qualities - if I recall it wasn’t until after I started snuffing GH SP that I also began enjoying WoS Rows of Sharrow, which I couldn’t tolerate in my first couple months of snuffing. Regarding a burnt plastic smell … a year from now you might enjoy that :wink: the dark SGs have a burning tire/black shoe sometimes and I’ve somehow come to cherish that. My SG M and Madagascan has it as did one of my SG Elmos. When I first smelt that aroma I thought something was wrong with the snuff, but … the nose learned it has nicotine! As for overrated snuffs … 6Photo Super Kailash. But hey if I gave it a real go I would probably … learn it has nicotine and come to appreciate it. But it smelt to me at the time like someone was playing a joke on me with a batch of fecal-scented tobacco powder.

4 Likes

Just as pointed out above. Don’t be a chicken shit to try snuffs that many find enjoyable. Some may give that impression but possibly grow enjoyable as it dose for me with more use.

1 Like

I don’t understand how people like coarse grinds. They clog me up, fall out, & I don’t feel the nic as I do with fine & dry. The Babaton blue didn’t smell like ammonia, though; so, it may have been old.

2 Likes

Taxi, NTSU, all the south african style coarse snuffs. Which actually go great if used as snus or dip. I do like those snuffs, however I have never experienced any massive nicotine buzz with them or found them exceptional.

1 Like

@bob if you’re smoking weed and you are high and try some ntsu then you will clearly notice the nicotine trip/ buzz. I’m not telling that you must be high on weed to notice Ntsu’s effects but for sure when high the effects of ntsu are more noticable! The best way to introduce a friend into nasal snuff is to take big pinches of ntsu while you are high on weed! 

4 Likes

I didn’t think Viking Thor’s Hammer was anything special.

WOS is one of my favorite manufacturers. But I found Best Dark very bland. Also think Ripple is a bit overrated as it is menthol for ages then the raspberry ripple appears after several minutes. But most times I got menthol …then nothing ?

2 Likes

Elmo’s Reserve. Sour vanilla and cheap cleaning fluid. Disgusting dust!

2 Likes

@spinyeel, dust? Are you referring to the 10 g plastic tap box? Fresh Elmo’s comes fairly moist in 25 g vacuum-sealed tins.

3 Likes

@ALLex I still don’t get some huge hit from them. I notice more nic but not like people rant about. Now get some Semios and grind that up wow that is a kick in the head.

2 Likes

Santo Domingo

1 Like

Agreed with the above. Santo Domingo is awful.

Also I don’t get on with Toque dispite my very best efforts. I relly wish this weren’t the case.

1 Like