R.I.P. Snuffstore Cafe Noire

I was inquiring with Mr. Snuff about when Snuffstore Cafe Noire would be in stock again and received bad news. It’s been discontinued. It was certainly made by Samuel Gawith (who also makes Black Arabica). I will really miss Cafe Noire. The coffee and tobacco scents are married perfectly. IMHO, they should instead discontinue Black Arabica. It’s a fine snuff in terms of grind and tobacco base, but the scent is very faint compared to Cafe Noire. Cafe Regal by GH is OK too, but they don’t seem to adequately capture the coffee scent. Gadsden Mill’s Cafe Partisan got the coffee pretty good, but that was only one element of the scent. 

Cafe Noir was made by SG(as well as all the other SnuffStore snuffs) . I recall that it was a mix of SG Black Coffee( now Black Arabica) and another snuff but I can’t remember which one it was, probably one of the discontinued snuffs which would explain why Cafe Noir is now discontinued. A real shame, this was one of the best coffee snuffs imho.

1 Like

NNNOOOOOOOOOO!!! Im sittin here; half my face swollen due to an infection, with a ton if antibiotics Im too scared to take, and now cafe noire is gone?!? Whats next? A ban on everything I like?!

If anybody could provide contact information for Samuel Gawith, it would be much appreciated. I’d like to see if they’d consider making batches on demand.

1 Like

enquiries@samuelgawith.co.uk

enquiries@gawithhoggarth.co.uk

Not sure, if the former is still actual, they merged with GH some years ago.

1 Like

@sammyd13 Or phone them 01539 720047. Haven’t you heard of that google thingy ?

This is the response received from Gawith Hoggarth:

The Cafe Noir Snuff is a snuff that was stopped about 12 months ago, there are no plans to bring it back. If you feel the Black Arabica is similar then this snuff is still available.

Nooooooo! Sam you got me hooked on the stuff and now you say no more? You’re as bad as @Cobguy :smiley:

@ar47 … Hey!  I resemble that remark!  LOL

I sent you a message a little while back … still have a small amount of Barnyard left.  :slight_smile:

1 Like

My condolence.

1 Like

@n9inchnails you may be on to something about Cafe Noire being a mix of Black Coffee (Black Arabica) and another SG. Maybe it was one of the discontinued ones, but I am on a mission to recreate. Going to get some Black Arabica and start with a mix using Madagascan.

1 Like

I haven’t tried any other coffee snuff, but my own homemade, which was super easy to make and had really rich scent of ground coffee even without the addition of any extract, tincture, liqueur or commercially available flavour (my last post about tea bag flavouring method in 101 thread). Will definitely order a tin of GH or SG version for comparison.

I heartily recommend to try making your own and (or) playing the mixing game. Some experimentation, and your homemade will (most probably) beat industrial stuff. A tea bag filled with freshly ground coffee (pack as much as possible) and left overnight in a half tin of Madagascan might result in a nice coffee snuff. If it’s not enough, add some coffee extract. Here’s a link to a thread where Chef described his sophisticated way of making it with 190 proof grain alcohol: http://www.snuffhouse.com/discussion/9948/best-coffee-snuff/p1

My previous experience with herbal extracts for absinth tells that steeping for one week is fairly enough. All you need to do to speed up the extraction is to give some vigorous shakes few times a day. Similar coffee extract can be added to the ready made plain or vanilla flavoured snuff.

1 Like

@volunge excellent ideas and reference!

Sad to hear this snuff is no longer in production. Have not had the pleasure of trying it but it sounds great! 

The only 2 coffee Snuffs I have tried are:

6 Photo Coffee Kick- not bad, has a touch of Mint that helps open nasal passages up a bit. typical 6 Photo moisture content (Medicated 6’s, Super Kailash, Chocoliscious, etc.)

McCrystals Aztec- the Aztec is not bad but the grind is a bit weird, has small balls in it that need to be broken up a bit and is much sweeter than the Coffee Kick. 

@MRBROWNNOSE Aztec is chocolate scented

I think it was a mix of SG Black Coffee and GH Tia Maria.

2 Likes

@n9inchnails does SG make anything comparable anymore? If not, could you describe the flavor perhaps?

1 Like

Tia Maria was a coffee snuff by GH that was flavoured with Tia Maria coffee liquor. Not sure if the current GH coffee snuff is just Tia Maria renamed or if it is a different snuff all together, I have not had any of the renamed snuffs or any of the GH snuffs after they merged factories with SG.

2 Likes

Current GH Cafe Regal is altogether different, @n9inchnails. Tia Maria had different base tobacco, was brown, not black, and had sickeningly sweet flavour.

2 Likes