6 Photo Krishan Sudama Snuff

Thanks for reviewing it, @Pikey!

Indeed, as stated on 6 Photo own website, this product is “excellent to use as dentifrice and sniffing alike.”

It is defined as tapkir. According to Global Smokeless Tobacco Product Factsheets (Appendix B), “Tapkeer is a form of dry powdered snuff that may be used for teeth cleaning. […] Mode of Absorption: oral (teeth cleaning, held in mouth), nasal. […] In India, tapkeer is frequently prepared by individual users at home by roasting and then powdering the tobacco.”

Now I’m quite intrigued by that roasting thing. So, is this snuff smoky/toasty? And is it the same fine grind as LA Natural, or a bit coarser, Medicated No 6.-like?

3 Likes

Well I m not ready to call it a ‘review’ just yet :smiley: I  don’t feel I truly ‘know’ a tobacco unless it’s by the pound(lb). and over the changing seasons .  

We should ask Vikas @sixphoto for the proper facts . I thought it was a slightly finer mill than LA Natural …or it might be the same grind presented a bit drier ? :smiley: At first sniff I thought it was a Natural recipe variant , but according to the Snuffstore blurb , apparently not  .Some similar background scenting though., in my nose anyways 

I do get a bit of a Toast vibe out of the tobacco.

3 Likes

I like all 6 photo snuffs, but I have shit ton of their products, next time I order from MS, I will have to get a tin. I can’t understand why anyone would brush their teeth with it. It must be a strictly Indian thing.

2 Likes

KRISHAN

I enjoyed this snuff, it’s pretty much Cheeta-like. Think unscented, just a wee bit roasted Cheeta. Similar grind, similar nicotine. There’s a slight toastiness, but it’s less pronounced than I expected. Like regular Cheeta, this fine dry snuff is fortified with lime and triggers that “old smokers” morning cough.

I haven’t detected any scent in Krishan Sudama - to my nose it’s plain (unscented) snuff, just as described. Now “the dash of menthol” is an exaggeration, menthol is next to nothing here, just a hint of hint at the most.

“Excellent for sniffing”, I second that.

P. S. Just in case you are not aware, good old Cheeta is a tapkir, too. That’s what the label says.

4 Likes

Thanks for the review!

Have a tin of this Indian snuff on order and am looking forward to checking it out (along with the 6Photo sampler)

2 Likes

Thanks for this thread folks; Cheeta is my daily snuff so I’ve just ordered 100g of the KS. Can’t wait to give it a whirl.  

2 Likes

I hate this stuff, for some reason instead of a dash of menthol I get a strong smell of a packet of mints

1 Like

OK, just got my order in. It’s somewhere between Cheeta and Cheeta Gul in colour, grind seems identical to Cheeta. The KS is a touch more moist. 

I’m not sure if I got a more recent batch than @Volunge, but in mine the menthol is far more pronounced than a “hint of a hint”. Maybe I’m just more sensitive to it? To me, KS has a distinctive initial peppermint scent, which combines nicely with a very faint general background musk. Very cool in the nose, but that all fades within a minute or two. The aftertaste is a lovely biscuity tobacco, just like Cheeta once you get through the incense. 

At first I wasn’t sure about this one, but now I’ve had a few pinches it’s really started to grow on me. As I said, Cheeta is my daily, and I feel KS will be ideal when I want to switch things up a bit. It’s got all the hallmarks of a perfect ‘morning loosener’. That musk I mentioned reminds me slightly of a second-hand bookshop. It’s a little bit like (but not identical to) the very faint background scent that 6P Begum Green has.

I look forward to seeing what (if anything) changes as KS ages. Maybe if the peppermint recedes a bit, it’ll reveal the toastiness that others have mentioned?

3 Likes

@JDU44 Did you receive it in a tin or in a carton box? Mine came in a carton. I think it was from the very first consignment. I ordered it at least a year after I noticed it at Mr.Snuff/Snuffstore. Yours might be fresh.

2 Likes

@Volunge- I got mine in the same box that you have pictured. At first I thought the box art on mine was different, but then I looked closer at your image, and realised you’d carefully covered up the gruesomeness!

@JDU44, actually, I ordered that Krishan Sudama with an intent to show it to a krishnaist (or should I rather say - vaishnavist) acquaintance of mine and tell him about ISKCON founder’s indulgence in nasal snuff (there’s a thread about it somewhere in this forum), but I did not dare - that huge warning picture and ridiculously small size of the beautiful label made me change my mind.

I don’t care about warning texts, never tear them off, but I find some warning pictures too disturbing.

3 Likes

@Volunge- interesting stuff! I read that thread about ISKCON/Prabhupada. Could you do the same with a humble tin of Cheeta, or is the KS name a critical part of the discussion? I understand the traditional defense of Prabhupada’s snuff-taking was that it was for medicinal reasons?

@JDU44, yes, it was that particular label, depicting the meeting of Krishna and Sudama, which gave me a thought of presenting this snuff to my acquaintance. I’m not considering the presentation of any other snuff, those folks are true abstainers, therefore I admit my idea was almost sacrilegious. And yes, medicinal reasons was the official version, though honestly, I would rather guess that His Divine Grace was simply digging the stuff and was hooked on it.

@volunge I can send some you some KS snuff boxes without those disgusting warning pictures.

It will be a gift.Please PM your postal address.

5 Likes

I got some of this on my last order. I’ve tried it a few times and it’s steady growing on me. And yes I had to get rid of the box too. It’s too much. I really wish there was a tined version of this snuff. I get a good bit of the mint flavor mixed in with the funk. I think I’ll keep going back to this one.

1 Like

I need to practice with these finer snuffs as KS shoots straight to the back of my throat with just the smallest inhale possible. This is a huge bag for the price and really want to like this one but need to get technique down first. Decanting is a must for KS as the bag is not good for long term storage.

2 Likes

I got a box of this a few months ago. It’s fine, but very similar to the other white ultra fine types. I enjoy it every so often as it’s easy to sniff and has lots of nicotine.

2 Likes

Krishan Sudama has the worst smell i have ever came across! 

Reminiscence of the puke and old type toothpaste. 

Its just my personal opinion. Perhaps some persons will like that weird twist not me.

2 Likes

@Nikolaos, after longer indulgence in this tapkir I started getting an interesting, raw sulphur-akin note there, too. Here’s an easy fix: add some powdered Latakia, Perique or fire cured Kentucky to make it your dream snuff. So easy to transform, such a wonderful result! That is, if you like smoky and pungent baccy.

I used SWS Latakia blend, 1:5 mixing ratio was more than enough! I bet 1:10 would work, too. Will try later this evening and report back.

Ah, and if you like mentholated snuff, you can add menthol into it (up to 5%; 5% would be Hedges-like). Or / and some drops of your favourite essential oil.

@volunge First time in my small snuff life my stomach goes bad from a Snuff! 

I dont want to be not fair, i will give time to specific snuff. 

I dont give too much rate of improvement here. The toothpaste tone is not a big problem the rest is a nightmare.

Thank you for the solution i will give a try in the close future.   

1 Like